• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet Outing - Pot-Luck Picnic in Montrose Park

Busboy

Summer’s here, and even if you don’t know how to cook, you know how to slice up a fresh Cherokee Purple from the farmer’s market, so I propose to organize – as promised, weeks ago – a pot-luck picnic for Sunday, July 18th, beneath the vast oaks of Georgetown’s Montrose Park.

If anyone is interested and in town, that is.

I think it would be fun to have DCeG-ers tote a fine home-made picnic dish or two to the gathering, quaff some sub-rosa rosé, let the kids run amok and enjoy a fun summer afternoon. Rather then hew absolutely to the anarcho-rural traditions of pot-lucks, I propose to coordinate dishes to assure that we’re not overwhelmed with tomato-mozzarella salads and that we have a broad array of summer plates. Other than that, let a thousand flowers bloom. RaisaB is allowed not to cook, if she flies cheese in from France; anyone else has to petition.

Montrose Park is a delightful park near the Social Safeway, featuring a playground for little kids, and Rock Creek Park, for kids old enough to traipse properly (it would be nice if some kids could come, does anyone have any, besides hjshorter and me?). It also has benches and grills and, sometimes, bathrooms. Right next door sits Dumbarton Oaks, whose gardens are well worth the modest admission to anyone with a yen to see how Gatsby might have landscaped, were it not for all those drunk flappers tromping through the begonias. Parking is not nearly as bad as you’d think.

Assuming timing and rules of engagement can be negotiated, the highlight will be a roast-off between Malawry and me to see if brining is, indeed, the greatest thing since sliced pastrami, or just factory processing you can do at home.

All points are negotiable, of course, though my own timing is somewhat constrained. I expect a 2PM call time would work; the early arrival of a few hardy souls would ensure acquisition of enough picnic tables to hold the feast.

Let me know if there is interest and availability, and I will take it from there.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I should be in. After all, if not you'll all call me chicken. :shock:

OK, that was a bad pun.

We can play the cook-off thing by ear -- if mnebergall is bringing 'cue :biggrin: and someone else chips in with a fine protein product, we may have to postpone the "pullets at twenty paces" act and focus our respective geniuses in another direction. But, glad you're in. DuPont Sunday morning?

I'm on the pavement

I just can't come up with some witty pun. I tried, but it 'aint happening.

Count me in. I'll commit to a some sort of salad that doesn't have tomatoes. It'll depend what I can get at market that week. And babka's cheese boards which I still have from Cheese in the Park Parts I and II. Mktye has to bring the bread :biggrin:

You two should come see me Saturday at 36th & Alton. I'll save you some mullberries.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Mulberries?! Where where?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

36th and Alton NW. New Morning Farm has their stand on the grounds of the Sheridan School. We open at 8. Last week they lasted until around 10, so get there early. I am finishing mine tonight with whipped creme with my new immersion blender.

Mr. & Mrs. mktye would love to attend.

And do you think anything could stop me from bringing bread?!? I cannot take the chance that we'd be short on carbs! :raz:

I would also like to bring asian-style sesame/peanut noodles if that is deemed a worthy dish by our apparently fearless event organizer (pot-luck coordination--I have heard of no one who has escaped from such an endeavor unscathed...).

Hmm. The butt might already be in someone else's hands, butt I'd like to go nonetheless :wink:

I'd be happy to bring some other protein based item. I don't have any kids, but I suppose I could borrow my godsons if need be. :raz:

I think I'll bring my girlfriend instead.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Hmm. The butt might already be in someone else's hands, butt I'd like to go nonetheless :wink:

I'd be happy to bring some other protein based item. I don't have any kids, but I suppose I could borrow my godsons if need be. :raz:

Al: If you want to show off your butt (your girlfriend should like that), I can do brisket instead.

I will be flying back into down that day and will probably not be able to make it.

Make sure to post photos of everyones butts! :biggrin:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Hmm. The butt might already be in someone else's hands, butt I'd like to go nonetheless  :wink:

I'd be happy to bring some other protein based item. I don't have any kids, but I suppose I could borrow my godsons if need be.  :raz:

Al: If you want to show off your butt (your girlfriend should like that), I can do brisket instead.

Nah, you go ahead. Besides, I'd have to go to someone else's place on Saturday or VERY early Sunday to use their grill to make it.

I'll think of something else. I have a feeling some of you all will get to try my butt eventually. :shock:

-- A.B.

Mr. & Mrs. mktye would love to attend.

And do you think anything could stop me from bringing bread?!? I cannot take the chance that we'd be short on carbs! :raz:

I would also like to bring asian-style sesame/peanut noodles if that is deemed a worthy dish by our apparently fearless event organizer (pot-luck coordination--I have heard of no one who has escaped from such an endeavor unscathed...).

The Asian noodles would be great. And, as for coordination, I'm intending to take a very low-key role, in hopes that we will end up with an ideosynchratic mix of personal specialties and seasonal delights -- and that Al and mnebergall can get their butts straightened out in advance.

BTW Al and mnebergall, I'll be heading over to the park this weekend to check out the facilities more formally. Is there anything you need that you won't be bringing, that I should look for?

I'm on the pavement

BTW Al and mnebergall, I'll be heading over to the park this weekend to check out the facilities more formally. Is there anything you need that you won't be bringing, that I should look for?

How about picnic tables and beer taps?

BTW Al and  mnebergall, I'll be heading over to the park this weekend to check out the facilities more formally. Is there anything you need that you won't be bringing, that I should look for?

and a private swimming pool :raz:

-- A.B.

Picnic tables, they have. For beer on tap, you have to walk to the nearby Good Guys. Not that you know what that is. Even better than a private pool, you can take a refreshing dip in nearby Rock Creek.

I'm on the pavement

Picnic tables, they have. For beer on tap, you have to walk to the nearby Good Guys. Not that you know what that is. Even better than a private pool, you can take a refreshing dip in nearby Rock Creek.

Let's invite some of the employees from Good Guys to our event! :cool:

-- A.B.

It is next door to Sushi Ko.

Picnic tables, they have.  For beer on tap, you have to walk to the nearby Good Guys.  Not that you know what that is.  Even better than a private pool, you can take a refreshing dip in nearby Rock Creek.

Strippers and BBQ - sounds like a good combination to me. :wink:

Bill Russell

Picnic tables, they have.  For beer on tap, you have to walk to the nearby Good Guys.  Not that you know what that is.  Even better than a private pool, you can take a refreshing dip in nearby Rock Creek.

I think they might be independant contractors.

Strippers and BBQ - sounds like a good combination to me. :wink:

Could give a whole new meaning to "smoke'n butts."

BTW Al and  mnebergall, I'll be heading over to the park this weekend to check out the facilities more formally. Is there anything you need that you won't be bringing, that I should look for?

How about some shade?

and a private swimming pool :raz:

Katherine Graham's house is near by. I bet she had a pool.

How about some shade?

Plenty of shade, under vast and ancient oak trees.

HV -- I have had occasion to work woth the guy who bought Katie Graham's house. He's not really the "y'all just drop on by for a dip" type, unfortunately.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement