• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are You a Vegetarian?

Sorry for being blunt, but are you a vegetarian?

I am not, but I could be a vegetarian right this minute if I were forced to. I like rice, almost all kinds of soy products such as tofu and natto, and vegetables.

Why is that sensitive? :wink:

I became vegetarian at the age of 19 -- just moved in with the ex-boyfriend, and he wanted a roast chicken like Mom used to make.

I stuck my hand up the chicken's butt to retrieve the giblies, absorbed the horror and wrongness of touching! the inside! of a formerly living thing's pulmonary cavity! and didn't eat meat again, at all, for over ten years.

I was irritatingly vegan for the first three years, but that got old really quickly. This is still a small town, but it used to be a really small town, and buying anything like tofu or soymilk used to involve a city-crossing trek to the (then) solitary health-food store. (I couldn't drive.) Not to mention, unless I wanted to eat naked salad, there was, literally, NO safely vegan option when eating out. None.

I yielded, and became lacto-ovo, where I remained quite contentedly until I hit thirty and lost a lot of weight. My health was suffering (for many reasons) and I found myself craving meat with a wild yearning. So I started eating fish and chicken again, and noticed an immediate improvement. I think now that I'm eating less volume, it's harder to get the concentration of protein I need.

However, I learned a lot about cooking and eating in my years as a veghead, and still use a lot of vegetarian products like tofu and TVP and fake meats, not just because my husband is still a vegetarian, but because I like them. Being vegetarian taught me a lot about food. I don't think I'd have nearly so much fun with food and cooking if I'd stayed carnivorous.

I don't think vegetarianism needs to be a limiting factor at all. In fact, most vegetarians I know eat a much more interesting and varied diet than most reg'lar meat-eatin' folks, and tend as a group to be much more open to other ethnic styles and foods (other than dead beast) that they've never tried before.

I am not a vegetarian, but, being Buddhist, I go through vegetarian "phases."

It is true that living as a vegetarian is a great way to explore alternative cuisines. Tofu and tempeh can be delicious when cooked in their many traditional dishes.

Ususally, I am "mostly vegetarian", but get one meat "thing" a week - maybe some chicken legs, or a nice fish. This week I am in a summer holiday kind of mood, so the "thing" is some Knockwurst that I'll cook like hot dogs and serve with a big salad.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

If all the meat in the world vanished, I could possibly adapt to a vegatarian lifestyle. Well...I'd have no choice, would I? :cool: I go through stages where all I want is pasta and vegetables, but then usually a steak calls my name. Red meat I could give up without missing too much. Chicken, eggs and fish I'd have a hard time losing. I love eggs.

I used to think eating vegetarian was tremendously goofy and misguided, but I have since seen the error in my ways. It wasn't until I decided to make a drastic shift in my eating patterns from the norm (virtually eliminating sugar and simple carbohydrates from my diet) that I realized how it feels to be looked on as bizarre by other diners, and to not have your requests taken seriously. Having now had that experience I have to say that I must admire vegetarians and those who keep kosher, as well as anyone else who has their reasons for eating in a way quite different from mainstream society, for it can be very difficult at times.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I've been a vegetarian for almost 20 years. I'm one of those people who never liked meat and so I've never missed it. I think it's interesting how many well known chefs are featuring more vegetables and grains as main components in their menus instead of just using them as sides.

Melissa

Thank you, everyone.

The reason I wanted to pose this question is that when I posted the photo shown below in another thread, I received two replies that I had never expected--'no visible meat object' and 'lack of visible meat item'. These replies made me start to wonder.

This is a photo of a lunch served at my daughter's nursery school one day:

i6961.jpg

Thank you, everyone.

The reason I wanted to pose this question is that when I posted the photo shown below in another thread, I received two replies that I had never expected--'no visible meat object' and 'lack of visible meat item'. These replies made me start to wonder.

This is a photo of a lunch served at my daughter's nursery school one day:

i6961.jpg

Well, a lot of people feel that a meal has to include meat to be complete. One of the common question I get from people is "what do you use for the main entree"?

Sometimes there just isn't one main "thing". It's lots of small dishes eaten together that complete the whole.

Melissa

Sometimes there just isn't one main "thing".  It's lots of small dishes eaten together that complete the whole.

That's one great way to make a vegetarian meal more acceptable, even to non-vegetarians. If you serve a "bewildering" variety, some people will not even notice the lack of meat.

On the other hand, some will do nothing but search for meat.

BB

On the other hand, some will do nothing but search for meat.

BB

This is true but understandable. People seek out their comfort foods. It's to be expected. This is why I always serve meat when I have large parties where most of the guests aren't vegetarians. I'm not here to convert people. I couldn't care less about what other people eat. I just want to be a good hostess and make people feel comfortable. I've gotten some shit about this from some of my vegetarian friends but, it's my house, I'll serve what I want, please don't come if it makes you uncomfortable. We are actually having a big party on Sat. and 90% of the guests are not vegetarian so besides the vegetarian stuff there will be burgers and hot dogs (real-not veggie) chicken wings pre-made that I just heat up, maybe some shrimp and whatever anyone else wants to bring. The important thing is that people have fun and again, feel comfortable.

Melissa

The important thing is that people have fun and again, feel comfortable.

I used to show art in my apartment. It was a lot of fun - and a lot of work - to cater the openings.

Tex-Mex is great. You can put out a vegetarian spread, and nobody notices. After all, it would be impolite to open the quesadillas.

BB

I was a vegetarian for about 10 years -- from when I learned to cook at 13 until I traveled to Japan for a while a few years ago. It started off as result of learning that I hated to cook meat, and ended because I couldn't go back to living without fish after travelling in a country where fish is such a huge part of the diet. I cooked for myself much of the time in high school, and got exposed to a lot of different kinds of foods that my parents never would have made. (They are unadventurous eaters, and not very good cooks). I knew a lot of other vegetarians who were pretty adventurous eaters, but a few who were quite picky.

One of the nice things about not being a vegetarian is not having to deal with the rude people who feel the need to pronounce judgement on what you eat and don't eat. I'm talking not only companions but also complete strangers who feel it is their right to lecture you on what you order in a restaurant. People who don't eat any vegetable that isn't fried but feel qualified to tell you your diet isn't healthy.

I still eat vegetarian meals most of the time, but now it's a combination of not really liking the taste of meat and distrust/distaste for modern industrial animal farming. I have reservations too about fishing and fisheries, but I have a hard time passing up sushi or mussels.

I used to be a vegetarian but now I'm not. Oddly enough, i'm probably the least likely vegetarian that ever lived. Before turning to a strict vegetarian eating style, I was chowing down on every dead animal imaginable. I remember one time ordering 16 orders of shrimp dumplings and plowing through it with my best bud. A typical lunch was three In&Out burgers, ordered one after another to keep 'em fresh. But I have to admit, I feel better eating more veggies and whole grains. Much more alert. Also, I am grateful that I tried all these veggies and found that I actually liked them!

I think what's great that happened in recent years is the flood of vegetarian junk food! Oh yes. I know I have gone on about it before, but I love those vegetarian corn dogs, even better than meat corn dogs. They're so good! I also like vegan chocolate cake. It's so moist, dark and dense, I would never have thought that vegan chocolate cake could be so good...and vegan. But just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's healthy. Oh well, maybe just one slice. :wink:

Oh yeah, and I'm glad that now there's more than salad to pick from at a restaurant. Grilled veggie plate is a little boring to me as well, but now I see all sorts of cool stuff. Also, "little plates" places are great.

All in all, in my area at least, it's a good time to be a vegetarian. :laugh:

--For the most part, I still eat a diet with lots of fresh veggies from my garden and I try to eat some whole grains. But now I also eat a little meat and fish too. I guess if I didn't grow up with it I wouldn't have missed it.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Ill manners are never good, regardless of the justification.

If more people followed that prohibition, vegetarians wouldn't have as bad a name as they seem to.

Don't assume that all or even most vegetarians are ill mannered. The only ones you'll ever notice are the ones that cause a ruckus. Same as with anything else.

Maybe it's more of a problem in NY. Here in CA, I honestly haven't any instances ill mannered vegetarians. Well, I mean, not any more ill mannered than anyone else.

--edited for grammar

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

Used to be for about 15 years. I decided it would be a healthier way of eating (father had 2 major heart attacks by the age of 42). I still wore leather, wasn't vegan... eggs & dairy... liked all the soy products (tempeh, tvp, tofu)... even went as far (though I still do) to make my own soymilk (hubby likes it better than store bought).

I went through 2 pregnancies as a veg. Before even knowing I was pregnant I suddenly started to CRAVE meat. I never had an aversion to cooking it... just didn't want to eat it. Brasciole... London Broil stuffed with oysters etc. Preg Test positive... ultrasound...I was carrying a boy :rolleyes: . Don't know if my body was telling me to eat meat because I was lacking something or what.

My first 2 were girls BTW... still haven't figured out the connection. I do eat a lot of meatless meals... but having my WSM since the late fall... I have also eaten a good amount of smokey meat goodness.

Do boys only cause cravings? My 4th (& last) had me craving sweet things like cookies & ice cream.

Vegetarian or not? There's no right or wrong. Eat what you like. I've gone both ways.

Ill manners are never good, regardless of the justification.

If more people followed that prohibition, vegetarians wouldn't have as bad a name as they seem to.

Don't assume that all vegetarians are ill mannered. The only ones you'll ever notice are the ones that cause a ruckus. Same as with anything else.

Ha! When I read that original comment of Soba's, I immediately assumed he was referring to all the people who are rude to vegetarians. (I guess you're right, though, and probably he was not.) This just goes to show something or other about only seeing what fits in with one's previous experiences.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I am not a vegetarian. I know I can never be a conscientious vegetarian. But I think I could be a vegetarian for other reasons--environmental reasons. I believe that the 21th century has to be an environmental one, and if I had to be a vegetarian to that end, I would be willing to be one.

I think you know what I am talking about--methane emissions from cattle:

http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/agriculture/f...fs_feedlot.html

When I met my wife she was vegetarian (vegan). I was a chef and took up the challenge of spending three months on a grand road trip across the country, cooking for a vegan. We camped in National Parks and campgrounds from coast to coast. I brought along three crates of ingredients (dried mushrooms, noodles, grains, currry pastes, condiments chutneys etc. etc.). We'd buy fresh vegetables and other ingredients along the way and I would spend hours everyday cooking. I really enjoyed the variety of dishes I came up with and and before long I was a vegan and married to a vegan. I began teaching at the local community college vegan cooking program and even opened a vegan restaurant. After hurricane Andrew blew us out of our home we moved to the mountains of New Mexico. Interesting ingredients were very difficult to come by and I no longer had the time required to cook the way I had in Florida. I began eating meat again.These many years later. We often eat vegetarian and my wife will eat seafood. I feel like it's the right diet for me, especially living here. I also do not miss the hours and hours of weekly prep time, and the vegan police.

hehe vegan police. But do their vegan squad cars use rubber in their wheels? You know rubber is not vegan.... (to make stuff it's adulterated I think?)

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

I think it unfortunate that everyone get painted with the same brush as the really annoying, attention-seeking people who make their vegan diet an issue everywhere they go. Yes, I acknowledge their existence. Yes, it is highly annoying to sit with someone who makes their lives your issue (is this just a vegan thing? doubtful) On the other hand, I feel they did pave the way to make dining out a far more vegetarian friendly experience, at least here in California. On the other other hand, we do have lots of options for other reasons as well (immigration comes to mind). so okay, we're lucky.

I know plenty of vegetarians that I never would have guessed were such, because they never say anything about it. So you would probably just assume they are meateaters.

Also, and this is directed at a certain member, so if I were to assume that most gay guys were limp-wristed flaming queens, would this be correct? I mean, that's what you mostly see on t.v. and such. Or perhaps drag queens are the norm? Because the average person will probably not acknowledge the existence of gay guys who don't act different.

--NeroW