• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the worst pizza ever !

I don't think I spelled the name right I got the pizza in the pike place market. Oh my GOD is that the worst pizza I have ever had!

It was totally tasteless. I could have done better to buy a loaf of french bread and melt cheese on it and it wuld have tasted better then that. I took 3 bits and threw it away. That store seems to pride itself on being all things Italian...HOW on EARTH can they justify sell crap like that and calling it pizza? it sure looks like the real thing....but YUCK!

If you see it don't waste your money.

Guess my east coast taste buds are too tuned into the good stuff for that junk.

Oh dear... please know that there are several good take away foods in the Market. The Piroshki (sp?) place is good, as is the Asian bakery (good hombows). Three Girls bakery sells good baked products, and Le Panier does good French pastries and baguette sandwiches. Avoid the seafood cocktails at Jacks - the crab one I had last week was not very fresh. But their soups and cooked items are good. And of course, we're getting into the local fruit season, and it's one of my favorite things to munch on a basket of fresh berries as I stroll around the Market.

Also - check this board for Market restaurant reccs... :wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Yeah, I don't think there is any good pizza by the slice downtown. The pizza at that other Italian take out pizza/pasta place in the market LOOKS pretty bad as well (haven't actually tried it).

There used to be - but Kathy Casey and her emporium (Dish) bought him out for the high visibility location. That was a good spot for grab and go...

The place on Post Alley, under Seneca, Post Alley Pizza, has had decent reviews - haven't tried it in half a dozen years - anyone else?

thanks for all your replies. I do not live close to the market so it will have to be a weekly trip or maybe even monthly. I was so hungry I just thought I would grab a slice and the looked SO GOOD! WOW...looks really can be deciving and that pizza was the worst. I mean I could see maybe if it was just some lttle food stand...BUT a place that prides itself on all things Italian? WHAT a joke!

I will keep all your suggestions for other places in mind. Thanks

I was friends with the previous owners of Cucina Fresca, and they had a saying: "If you bought it at Delaurenti's, you PAID TOO MUCH" - screaming out in a chorus on the last three words.

Delaurenti's is good in many ways, but they're not the ultimate in Italian food. While it is convenient to have everything under one roof, you can find many of their products elsewhere, at better prices. Heck, most of their chocolates and cookies are half the price at Cost Plus at the other end of the Market.

What's really funny, is that Delaurenti's was bought recently by the folks who also recently bought Pagliacci, a local pizza chain. Paggliacci usually wins Best Pizza awards in town, and their pies are pretty good. When these guys bought Delaurenti's, the were constrained by the Powers That Be in the Market against serving Pagliacci pizza from the stand in Delaurenti's. This was due to the Market clause preventing chains from operating in the Market. A laudable concept, but in this case, serving Pagliacci pizza from the counter at Delaurenti's would only have been an improvement.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

right you are!

I sure did pay too much.... and you are right again about there stuff being avilable other places I have not even been here 2 weeks and I have seen alot of things in stores that I saw there.

Well...all I can say is I know better now. The question is where to go for good pizza down where I live in the gig harbor area. I have been too busy to look but I think chow girl will have some ideas.

Thanks for your comments

It seems like they could have served Pagliacci pizza without calling it that.

Post Alley Pizza is still quite decent. Not fantastic, but certainly the best downtown slice I can think of.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May