• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

for the pros

artisanbaker

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what books you have been buying and reading lately. Anything that you have felt would be helpful in this profession would be of interest to me. Funny enough, when I was at the NRA show I stopped by the CHIPS booth and didn't feel it was neccesary to buy anything. I just got a mail from gourmand books about a new El Bulli book.

I've been reading mainly HR books and leadership books. I'll try to put a list together.

Regards,

Rob

I'm struggling with the same issue. I've got some b-day money to spend and I just can't seem to be thrilled over any book right now. I think I might have too many books, if such a thing can happen. I want something better then what I already own.........and some of those books are pretty hard to top, like Herme', etc...

Theres two I'd like more info on, though. First, I understand Lesleys book is very nice and I want to check into that. Second after reading the interviews with James MacGuire I'm curious to hear some reviews of his book.

I still want the book on casting, making molds by Micheal Joy.......but I fear I won't use it often in my job.

I noticed the other day when I went to a newly buildt Barne & Noble that the Dubies from Canada have a book out. I don't recall the exact name....it's something like unusual desserts and wine pairings. If I did similar work, I'd have bought it.

I am probably the only one on earth who just obtained the "The Cake Bible". I love it and have spent a great deal of time exploring the recipes and techniques.

I think I will get the CIA Baking at Home book also. I used a recipe for petit fours from it just the other day and they came out really great!!! For my first time out with petit fours I think I did a good job and the client seemed pleased.

I must say I already know where I can do improvement from a process standpoint .

I majored in Business Adm. with a focus in HR so I have some decent course books on those subjects as well along with Marketing since I work in the marketing department of a large bank during the day. That's the job that pays the mortgage you know!! :laugh:

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what books you have been buying and reading lately. Anything that you have felt would be helpful in this profession would be of interest to me. Funny enough, when I was at the NRA show I stopped by the CHIPS booth and didn't feel it was neccesary to buy anything. I just got a mail from gourmand books about a new El Bulli book.

I've been reading mainly HR books and leadership books. I'll try to put a list together.

Regards,

Rob

Have you come across this site:

http://www.pastrychef.com/htmlpages/recipe.html

I have purchased several of the books listed on the site under "Events & Books"

books by

Bo Friberg, Frederic Bau, Paula Figoni, of course Peter Reinhart and Calvel & Wirtz, Taste of Bread.

Bruce Healy & Paul Bugat's Art of the Cake.

The links take you to Amazon... Some of the books are bundled with other books for a better price.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I noticed the other day when I went to a newly buildt Barne & Noble that the Dubies from Canada have a book out. I don't recall the exact name....it's something like unusual desserts and wine pairings.

Wild Sweets is the name of the book by the Dubys, very interesting book, work paid for my copy so I have no idea what we paid for. It has a lot of great photos. I have not tried any of the recipes, yet, I;ll let you know when I do.

Patrick Sheerin

Wendy, what is the title of the Herme professional books you referred to? Is it translated to english?

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

group vilbo in spain just released two great books

torreblanca history and also secretos de los helados by angelo corvitto

i am not sure how to obtain them in this country, i found them at alimentaria, but both are worthwhile additions in my opinion.

group vilbo in spain just released two great books

torreblanca history and also secretos de los helados by angelo corvitto

i am not sure how to obtain them in this country, i found them at alimentaria, but both are worthwhile additions in my opinion.

Maybe Chipsbooks.com?

If these are fairly new titles it could take awhile to get them.

I ordered S-21 from LiberiaGastronomica and it got here in about 4 days!!!

I just ordered 'Plaisir de Petit fours' by Pascal Brunstein, a book which has been heartily recommended by some of the 'Gullets best here in the P&B forum.

A lot of tuile recipes, methods for all kinds of different facets of pastry work.

I'll post my thoughts on it when I get it.

Would very much like that Torreblanca book!

2317/5000

just checked out that corvetti book and it looks exactly like something i was fishing for. thanks!

the torreblanca book is called paco, right?

hope they are translated soon, because they both are outstanding!

ps. i told the dubys about this site in march. maybe they are lurking.

regards

artisanbaker,

do you have the torreblanca and los secretos books?

akwa,

THANKS for turning us onto yet another $200 book!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The secrets of ice cream book is calling my name!

I'm going to get murdered by my better half :blink:

Torreblanca book is calling me too.

HELP!

2317/5000

I've been thinking about getting the Brunstein book for a while now. I have a couple books on mini's and theres only a couple of recipes from each that really seemed new/interesting............so I've been hesitant to buy Brunsteins in case it's got alot of repeat or obvious combos. SO I definately would like to hear your review Ted, please.