• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stock your bar for the Belmont

balmagowry

Who knew? According to today's Newsday (Everything You Need to Know about the Belmont), there is in fact an official drink; I for one plan to give it a try.

Q: Is there a Belmont drink?

A: Not to be outdone by the Kentucky Derby's Mint Julep or the Preakness' Black-Eyed Susan, the official drink of the Belmont Stakes is a libation called a White Carnation, which just so happens to be the type flowers that are draped over the winning horse. Here's the recipe:

2 oz vodka

1/2 oz peach schnapps

2 oz orange juice

soda water

splash of cream

Stir, pour over ice and garnish with an orange slice.

For the curious, at least one who tasted it likened it to a "diet creamsicle."

Diet creamsicle, my foot. A little peach bitters wouldn't come amiss, though! :cool:

Not sure what I'll be drinking yet come Saturday afternoon (possibly the juleps I didn't get to have on Derby Day), but as a Philly supporter and fan of that fabulous horse, I will definitely be having a Smarty Party!!

That horse is the coolest thing to happen sports-wise in this town in a long time.

I just found out that an acquaintance of mine is very good friends with Smarty's trainer. If after all the hoopla dies down I have a chance to take her up on her offer of an introduction (to both man and beast) I'll report back.

GO SMARTY!!!!16_3_164.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

As someone brought up with horses and racing, I want to stress this: everyone who brings up the sprinthorse bloodline forgets to mention that Smarty is the descendent of the best there was: Secretariat!! GO SMARTY.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

there is also a "Belmont" cocktail:

2 oz gin

1 tsp raspberry syrup

3/4 oz light cream

and a "Belmont Stakes" cocktail:

2 oz vodka

1 oz gold rum

1/2 oz strawberry liqueur

1/2 oz fresh lime juice

tsp Grenadine

and marketing being what it is......

we have the "Belmont Breeze" which is the NEW official drink of the Belmont (the "White Carnation" was considered out-dated)

1 1/2 ounces of a good American blended whiskey (Seagram's 7 is listed on several receipts as Seagram's was one of the sponsors)

3/4 ounces Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry

1/2 ounce of fresh lemon juice

1 ounce of simple syrup

(1 ounce of sweet and sour mix may be substituted for the lemon juice and simple syrup)

1 1/2 ounces fresh orange juice

1 1/2 ounces cranberry juice

1 ounce 7-Up

1 ounce Club Soda

Shake first six ingredients with ice, then top with 7-Up and club soda. Garnish with mint sprig and lemon wedge.

then there is the "Belmont 155":

1 shot Dark rum

2 shots Light rum

1 shot Vodka

1 shot Orange juice

Mixing instructions:

Blend with ice. Serve in a wine glass. Garnish with carrot

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Jeez - color me outdated, I guess. (And talk about fruity!) No wonder Newsday is no longer using the slogan "On top of the News; ahead of the Times."

Maybe I'll just have a Negroni or something. :resigned sigh:

we have the "Belmont Breeze" which is the NEW official drink of the Belmont (the "White Carnation" was considered out-dated)

1 1/2 ounces of a good American blended whiskey (Seagram's 7 is listed on several receipts as Seagram's was one of the sponsors)

1 ounce of simple syrup

(1 ounce of sweet and sour mix may be substituted for the lemon juice and simple syrup)

1 ounce 7-Up

1 ounce Club Soda

Shake first six ingredients with ice, then top with 7-Up and club soda. Garnish with mint sprig and lemon wedge.

I thought Seagram's was Canadian.

1 ounce of simple syrup

1 ounce 7-Up

1 ounce Club Soda

I thought Seagram's was Canadian.

I believe you are correct but I remember seeing the Seagram's name listed prominently last year b/c they were one of the sponsors.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I'm sorry, but I have a problem with mixing Harvey's Bristol Cream and all that citrus. Hmmm... I'll probably make it another JulepDay since the ones I made for the KDerby were so good.... or hang out with balmagowry and sip negroni!

I didn't know the connection w/secretariat! That's awesome! What else is awesome is Katies endlessly cool emoticons! How did you get all those???

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Johnny I agree with you about Katie's emoticons and I think the two of you are all but in a dead heat for snappiest hat.

I have attended all three of the Triple Crown races many times. The only one of the offical drinks worth a taste is the Julep, a wonderful thing. I always think of the Belmont as the beginning of summer. Thus I will lean towards beer tommorow. Smarty Jones is a wonderful story and I believe he will win and make Katie and the Philadelphians happy and proud. All of us who love horse racing are pulling for him as well.

Who knew? According to today's Newsday (Everything You Need to Know about the Belmont), there is in fact an official drink; I for one plan to give it a try.
Q: Is there a Belmont drink?

A: Not to be outdone by the Kentucky Derby's Mint Julep or the Preakness' Black-Eyed Susan, the official drink of the Belmont Stakes is a libation called a White Carnation, which just so happens to be the type flowers that are draped over the winning horse. Here's the recipe:

2 oz vodka

1/2 oz peach schnapps

2 oz orange juice

soda water

splash of cream

Stir, pour over ice and garnish with an orange slice.

For the curious, at least one who tasted it likened it to a "diet creamsicle."

Diet creamsicle, my foot. A little peach bitters wouldn't come amiss, though! :cool:

I, for two, plan to give this White Carnation -- from your original post -- a try. That one looks better to me than the other versions. :smile:

Go, Smarty. Cheers!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Johnny I agree with you about Katie's emoticons and I think the two of you are all but in a dead heat for snappiest hat.

I have attended all three of  the Triple Crown races many times.  The only one of the offical drinks worth a taste is the Julep, a wonderful thing.  I always think of the Belmont as the beginning of summer.  Thus I will lean towards beer tommorow.  Smarty Jones is a wonderful story and I believe he will win and make Katie and the Philadelphians happy and proud. All of us who love horse racing are pulling for him as well.

Thanks for the compliments on my chapeau. Problem is, it isn't really mine as it belongs to the photo studio where my avatar picture was shot (the only decent photo of me known to man) and whenever I meet eGullet folks for the first time they always say, "Where's the hat?" :angry: Sheesh - even if it were mine I'd take it off once in awhile.

Governor "Fast Eddie" Rendell has declared Saturday June 5, 2004 "Smarty Jones Day" in Pennsylvania. The City of Philadelphia is throwing the biggest "Smarty Party" on Benjamin Franklin Parkway on Saturday afternoon, complete with food vendors, and the Jumbotron to watch the race on! Story is HERE I'm guessing no Julep vendors though. Bummer.

The cool emoticons are from SmileyCentral.com. I have downloaded the product and have their toolbar in my e-mail program. I also get some emoticons at Emoticons 4 U. The Emoticons 4 U ones will give you the whole string of HTML needed and you just copy and paste the one you want. With the Smiley Central ones I just click the one I want into a blank e-mail, block it, right click, copy the "properties" and then load it like an IMG. It's a little more work but some of them are very cool.

I can't help it. I'm a Pisces. We're known for being expressive and creative. :rolleyes: And besides, you guys can't see my face or my hands while I'm typing so that makes me practically mute! :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I made a "belmont" today--not the same proportions as the recipe posted above, but the one from American Bar. equal parts gin & cream, with some raspberry syrup. It was OK, I guess, but nothing I'd drink on a regular basis.

And then smarty jones lost anyway. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sadness was upon my heart. Of course after that initial heartbreak, I got back in the groove and was happy for what a good, exciting race it was...

And, for celebration of the life of Ronald Reagan, one of my favorite people of all time.

Cheers!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Heartbreak -- me too.

Reports were at my place of employ that the crowds surrounding the bars and TVs were almost as intense as the World Series when the Indians were up with the Marlins a some years back.

Cool to see that sort of enthusiasm (or hear of ot in my case).

Later in the evening, I thought it was also pretty cool that someone asked if there was an official drink of the Belmont. Thanks to balmagowry, I learnt of same and provided a smarty pants answer to that guest. :raz:

Smarty may have lost, but he's still brought in over 7 Million. So he's about 6 Million ahead of his next competitor. You will still see more of him...he was just off the pace yesterday. It happens. That's why risky ventures are called horse races.

Whilst I am still smarting *ahem* from Smarty's loss, I'm still delighted that the horse from Philly got so many people interested in the race and the sport in general. Smarty is a great champion and we'll definitely be seeing more of him. The Pennsylvania Derby is over Labor Day weekend.

I made up a batch of minted simple syrup with race companion and was sipping some Eagle Rare 10 yr. old bourbon on the rocks with a little splash of that in it. Sort of a non-icy julep. Very tasty stuff. Then switched to mint syrup, Evan Williams 7 year old and Bitter Lemon soda. Also quite refreshing and a bit less deadly than the faux Juleps.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!