• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining with Fido

Mrs. P

All this fuss about dogs eating where people eat.  I mean c'mon folks!!!  I see more filthy-looking, unkempt, bacteria carrying, disgusting lard-ass people (not dogs) all the time, including while I'm out having a meal.

Yes, but unkempt people don't give me hives, or an asthma attack. Dogs and cats do.

Again, ditto. There are lot of us allergic-types around. Sorry, but you're stuck with us.

All this fuss about dogs eating where people eat. I mean c'mon folks!!! I see more filthy-looking, unkempt, bacteria carrying, disgusting lard-ass people (not dogs) all the time, including while I'm out having a meal. To think that I could have the misfortune of having to share a restaurant dining room with one of these odd-toed ungulates while my dog has to stay home makes me sick! Practically all of Europe allows dogs in restaurants, fine hotels, and other public places -- no one gets sick! NO ONE!!

Unless I am mistaken, no one has complained that dogs are dirty. There are just those of us who are tired of dog people feeling like Fido can and should go where ever they do. If I wanted Fido's company while I dine, I would invite myself over. Not to mention the allergic reaction issue.

The last time I checked we had not been annexed. Yet. When traveling in Europe I am aware of the culture and take medication accordingly. It would be presumptuous of me to complain about another culture's customs. But this is still the USA. Which means Fido isn't welcome where I dine.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

The last time I checked we had not been annexed.  Yet.  When traveling in Europe I am aware of the culture and take medication accordingly.  It would be presumptuous of me to complain about another culture's customs. But this is still the USA.  Which means Fido isn't welcome where I dine.

Wow - I was not aware that having your pets with you was considered un-american. Sounds like something Governor Erlich & Comptroller Schaefer would come up with :raz: .

Erlich and multiculturalism[

The last time I checked we had not been annexed.  Yet.  When traveling in Europe I am aware of the culture and take medication accordingly.  It would be presumptuous of me to complain about another culture's customs. But this is still the USA.  Which means Fido isn't welcome where I dine.

Wow - I was not aware that having your pets with you was considered un-american. Sounds like something Governor Erlich & Comptroller Schaefer would come up with :raz: .

Erlich and multiculturalism[

That was not my point. My point was that in Europe it is part of the culture to bring Fido to dine with you. It is not part of the culture here. Would you bring Fido with you when dining at Citronelle or Clyde's? I doubt it.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

One of the most friendly dog blocks in town is the 1800th block of 18th Street, mostly thanks to the presence of City Dogs and Doggie Style Bakery. Larry's Lounge, Dupont Market, Rosemary's Thyme, (88, RIP 2004), all allow doggies on the patio. These places aren't the greatest, but why not a sandwich or coffee at Dupont Market? How about a few beers at Larry's with little Willy upon your lap or big ass, slobbering Sammy at your foot?

Likewise, Doggie Style was kind enough to donate huge stainless steal water bowls to various businesses on that block so that they could be placed at store fronts. I learned about the good work of these folks (Doggie Style Bakery et al) working an event for the DC Humane Society... They probably have better tips than me.

Your dog probably doesn't want to be around people who aren't very happy to have him. So keep it in the neighborhood, keep it casual, and reward your pooch with an extra long walk in the park. :smile: I miss my dog!

Edited by morela (log)

Personally, I love both dogs and children, and am always happy to dine with the canine or the infant nearby (and do so often) when they're properly supervised.

That said, it's a slow day on eGullet...  :cool:

Who can we credit for this?

"Shut up, you cretin!"

Do we really think this is an appropriate response to a child?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Of course, inside the restaurant is just what the original poster was asking about.

Just to clarify, the original post requests places that would be amenable to having your pet with you. I specified that I didn't want a list of places with outdoor seating because that would be another topic. Outdoor seating PLUS nice to pets is cool and there have been several good suggestions.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you meant when you said you didn't want a list of places with outdoor seating.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

So there are TWO - maybe three - good places to dine with your dog in your town?? Bistrot du Coin, Red Dog Cafe, and - God help us - a Holiday Inn??

For good dog goods in Paris go to Samaritaine - big new pet department; Colette - small but stylish selection - but watch out for their ill-behaved choco Lab; and of course Louis Vuitton - best selection on the Champs-Elysees. There's also a cool little shop in the Marais - right around the corner from Jo Goldenberg - I forget the name - the last time I saw they had cammouflage covered dog beds in the window.

A belated recommendation after dinner in the company of a friend and his Rhodesian Ridgeback -- the nice French folks at Montmartre are as solicitous of dogs as they are of people in their outdoor dining area. You could get the ya-ya's out first with a romp at the Congressional Cemetery or go and meet all the local Capitol Hill dogs that work out every evening a few blocks away in Lincoln Park. Bone appetit. Aha. Ha.

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Not surprising, really, but Red Dog Cafe are not just happy, but apparently eager, to accomodate dogs on their patio. They've installed tie-ups (short cables with a carabiner on the end to hook onto collars) on the planters that surround their outdoor tables and a dog bowl full of water immediately appeared along with my menu at lunch today. Service (for me) was also excellent. I forgot to ask about progress on the liquor license front. Incidentally, if you're in the area, have a dog along and want to make an outing of it, you could do worse than visit Meadowbrook Stables a mile or two further up the East-West Highway and take a walk through Candy Cane City and along the horse trails that wind into Rock Creek Park.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I can whole-heartedly understand the concerns of restaurant owners. Opening your dining establishment to dogs amounts to opening a proverbial Pandora's Box. Next thing you know, patrons will be demanding equal space for their pet tarantulas, pythons, cats, piranhas, and rabbits. And at some point, the lines between what is pet and what is food become blurred, and mayhem ensues.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

• 3 weeks later...

A rare white chihuahua sat at the bar at New Heights on Thursday (in his own seat with a white napkin and a drink of water in a martini glass). Do you think it could have been the owner's fake boobs that let this one slide? :shock:

If your dog is small and your boobs are big, give it a try!

This is one of those instances where you read or hear a sentence and realize that it has probably never been written or said in the history of the English language. :blink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

This is one of those instances where you read or hear a sentence and realize that it has probably never been written or said in the history of the English language. :blink:

It's the perfect combination of vowels and consonants, concepts and images...I love it.

A rare white chihuahua sat at the bar at New Heights on Thursday (in his own seat with a white napkin and a drink of water in a martini glass). Do you think it could have been the owner's fake boobs that let this one slide? :shock:

I think these folks are regulars. My friend saw this dog there sipping a cosmo. No joke!

• 2 weeks later...
It's a shame that, overall, we Americans are so narrow-minded, conservative, hysterical & stuck up over things like wanting to bring a pooch to a restaurant

Some of us are very alergic to your pooches :wink:

Ditto.

I am a dog-lover, but I can understand why even in outdoor settings, others may not wish to have animals around. Compare it to smoking: even if someone lights a cigarette or cigar outside, it can affect those who are allergic or those whose asthma can be triggered by smoke.

I suppose picnics on the Mall are the best bet for dining with your dog... that way nobody else is disturbed, and restauranteurs don't have to be concerned with health code violations. My dog loves chasing squirrels more than sipping cosmos, anyway. :smile:

Perhaps no one said this before, but, it is illegal to bring pets into dining establishments in this city.

i'm assuming that this doesn't apply to working dogs... i would be interested in the rationale for this law. and don't tell the dog behind the bar at tune inn about this!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Just wanted to bump this and let anyone who is interested know that you can always bring your dog to The Thirsty Dog up in B'more.

I don't have a dog, but the Thirsty Dog is ALWAYS a good time. Awesome pizza, salad that is randomly great for a brew pub, and when you order the house brews, you are always served 2 half pints for $3. At the same time. ALWAYS. Plus, whenever I go there on a Saturday evening with this one girlfriend of mine, we end up staying late and they inevitably "lose" our tab or it has conspicuously less on it than it should. Of course, I think they are just trying to reward two properly dressed, well-behaved young women for ordering proper brew and not something stupid like an apple-tini (why anyone would come in to a place like the Thirsty Dog and order that is beyond me). Also, the owner is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. One time I saw an altercation that ended with one of the patrons getting kicked out. The owner went outside and talked to him, and by the end of the conversation they were both crying. Turns out the guy's wife had just left him and he felt like starting a fight. The way the owner handled it was so cool.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Here's a link to a review if you're interested. Just scroll down. It doesn't say anything about being able to bring your dog, but trust me, you can. There's usually one or two sitting patiently next to their owners at the bar.

click here

Ooh! Plus, they have cinnamon mints in the bathroom. I forgot about that!

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall