• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese cheesesteak roll

mamster

That's just evil.

Can see the potential for variations (Just like the Scottish penchant for fryin things in Batter). Pastrami Spring roll? Kosher hot dog spring roll? Pulled pork Spring roll?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Pulled pork Spring roll?

I could eat a few of those. They sound delicious. :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 3 weeks later...

If you go back to the original post, you'll see that it's been updated with details about the source of the pictured food:

"The place is called Evergreen and is located at 4726 Spruce Street. The telephone number is: 215-476-0371. Cheese steak rolls are only $1.20."

I tried one of these yesterday. Wish I could be more enthusiastic.

The exterior eggroll wrapper was a nice light gold, slightly crisp, tough on the ends where it was folded. (I broke it in half to get to the heart of the matter.) Since it was straight from the fryer, I had to wait four or five minutes for it to cool down enough to eat comfortably.

The filling was truly disappointing. The ground beef (rather than shredded) was studded with many, many tiny nuggets of chewy cartilage. Seasoning was good (seemed to be simple salt and pepper), and there were slices of sauteed onion in the mix.

A thin, translucent layer of "cheese product" between the meat and the wrapper never melted, even though the filling was scalding.

So that's the cheese steak roll. I'll leave it to someone else to report on the fried chicken gizzards ($2 a pint, $3.90 a quart).

Maria Gallagher

Made it to Evergreen Chinese American Restaurant today. Ordered two cheesesteak egg rolls.

I had a better experience than spikemom. Yes, ground beef instead of sliced rib eye, And not CheezWhiz. But no gristle in mine. A little bit of lettuce or cabbage and the ground beef and what I'm guessing is processed american. $1.20 each. Heck of a deal.

Tried one plain and one with the traditional condiments - hot mustard and sweet sauce. Preferred plain. And discounting the egg roll crunch, pretty much tasted like a cheesesteak.

i7335.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter