• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

100-yen shops

I will report back after I use it for the first time.

This is great! :biggrin::biggrin:

gallery_16375_5_91014.jpg

It may look like rice but it's coarsely grated daikon. Less watery than finely grated daikon. :wub: My wife and I had tempura with it (and ten tsuyu, of course).

• 1 year later...

Last year, one of my students made the most delicous caramel nut tarts with almond cream for Valentine's Day. I hounded her forever for the recipe, and she finally brought it to me today (along with some homemade macarons!).

The recipe is from a Daiso cookbook! All the recipes in the book look really good, so I'm going to look for it the next time I'm at a Daiso (but just in case the book isn't published anymore, I'll probably photocopy the whole thing, too!).

I guess cookbooks are another thing to go on my "must buy" at Daiso list!

• 4 months later...

My brother just left Japan after visiting us for almost 2 weeks and he couldn't get enough of the 100 yen shops. We were at a different one almost everyday!

The best thing he found were some Crate & Barrel dishes (made in Japan), we looked them up online and the dinner plates go for $18.95 in the US! He bought 8 of each of the dinner plates, salad plates, shallow bowls, bowls and mugs, a $600 value for just 4000 yen ($37.50) :shock:

The dishes look like this.

We could only find them at the chain of 100yen shops called Lemon, they have about 40 shops around Japan.

I am really going to start paying more attention to the dishes!!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My brother just left Japan after visiting us for almost 2 weeks and he couldn't get enough of the 100 yen shops. We were at a different one almost everyday!

The best thing he found were some Crate & Barrel dishes (made in Japan), we looked them up online and the dinner plates go for $18.95 in the US! He bought 8 of each of the dinner plates, salad plates, shallow bowls, bowls and mugs, a $600 value for just 4000 yen ($37.50) :shock:

We could only find them at the chain of 100yen shops called Lemon, they have about 40 shops around Japan.

How did he get them back to the US?

Probably had to do what I had to do when I visited a Daiso store in California last year - buy another suitcase! I bought some lovely little square and rectangular ceramic plates, and soup bowls, which I still use nearly every day. Also tons of bento supplies, several plastic graters similar to the one that Hiroyuki bought, packs of writing paper, small teapots and cups, stainless steel strainers for loose tea, sesame seed grinder, chopsticks, and other stuff! I love that store, but my carry-on bag was very heavy!

I lent him a suitcase. :biggrin: I am also taking back half of them when I head back to the US in 3 weeks. He also bought out the local Uniqlo and cleared the Pocky/ other snack shelves in all the area supermarkets....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...

And of course, there are none in my area! :angry:

Poor Kansai...always the bridesmaid, never the bride. :sad:

in kansai shop99 has these crate and barrel plates, but it seems to be totally random which stores have them.

And of course, there are none in my area! :angry:

Poor Kansai...always the bridesmaid, never the bride. :sad:

in kansai shop99 has these crate and barrel plates, but it seems to be totally random which stores have them.

Don't forget about rural areas like mine! We only have shops of three different chains here.