• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ballpark Eats - Who's are better?

From the Good Eats section of today's Chicago Tribune...

Ballpark eats - Forget the best team, who's got the best food?

The Sox/Cubs debate will rage among Chicagoans until Madison Street becomes an official line of demarcation. You can't fairly compare two teams that embody so much: ancestry, attitude, address.  But you can compare their food.

It's been many years since I've been to Comiskey...erm, U.S. Cellular Field, so I can't really comment on which ballpark serves better food. But, arguing that the food is good at Wrigley Field seems like a tough chore. It's expensive, it's bland and even what should be the signature Chicago ballpark "dish", the hotdog, is an embarrassment on the North side. In fact, other than at the airport, it's hard to find a poorer hotdog in Chicago than the ones served at Wrigley.

What's your take on the better ballpark for food? Any favorite items?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Those fish tacos in San Diego are pretty swell. Easy to eat, tasty, and cheap. Actually, given the state of the Padres most of the time, the fish tacos are the best thing about the game. :raz:

In New Orleans (New Orleans Zephyrs, AAA) we can get a plate of Jambalaya or a Hot Sausage PoBoy and both are pretty good. Actually, Jambalaya is pretty good ballpark food.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

cookies. you have to accept them if you are going to log in to the Trib site.

I hate cookies.

Cookies are delicious :biggrin:

=R=

Those fish tacos in San Diego are pretty swell. Easy to eat, tasty, and cheap. Actually, given the state of the Padres most of the time, the fish tacos are the best thing about the game. :raz:

In New Orleans (New Orleans Zephyrs, AAA) we can get a plate of Jambalaya or a Hot Sausage PoBoy and both are pretty good. Actually, Jambalaya is pretty good ballpark food.

Hey Brooks,

The story really just compared the food between Sox vs. Cubs but you bring up a good point. It seems like the food offerings at ballparks are better just about everywhere than they are here in Chicago. Is this just a case of ballpark food envy on my part? Even Dodger Dogs are more distinctive than the dogs served at Wrigley and this is a hot dog town.

Jambalaya at the ballpark seems like natural. Damn! I wants me some jambalaya. :biggrin: What could better ease the pain and burden of my Cubs fandom than that?

=R=

I have yet to make it to Wrigley, but I went to game at Comiskey back in '97. At the time I was on my stadia/arena french fry quest (I was eating fries at every sporting event I attended), and I couldn't find fries anywhere in that damned ballpark. I was not a happy camper that night.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have made ballpark a food a bit of a passion. Except I have rules:

1. Hot dogs, beer, soda for the kiddies; nothing else is acceptable; you are allowed one pretzel for every two people, but it cannot be consumed until AFTER the 3rd inning (dessert ya know)

2. Nachos, Italian/Polish/Bratwurst Sausages are acceptable if you are in a park where it is culturally acceptable (for example, Milwaukee - must eat a brat in Milwaukee, Miami - nachos are acceptable)

3. Anyone buying from, serving at, or commenting approvingly about Sushi (unless you are watching a game in Japan, where the 'cultural' exception applies), Cappucino, Grilled Tofu Burgers, or any such similar product should be expelled from the ballpark immediately and have all baseball privileges revoked for life.

As far as food in Chicago: Comiskey is definitely better than Wrigley. However, ballparks MUST upgrade their mustard options. Cheap, crappy yellow mustard is not acceptable when spicy mustard is available (Cleveland's BallPark Mustard is the best, the stuff in Milwaukee ain't bad either). The dogs at Comiskey are 10 times better than Wrigley where I don't think I've EVER had a pleasant experience.

Personally, I will be very surprised if anyone (forgive me for this) steps up to the plate (that was actually a double pun :biggrin:) and argues that Wrigley's food is better. I've never heard anyone say so, and even the Tribune Company, who owns the Cubs, gives the nod to Comiskey Park in the linked article.

But I'd love to hear from any Wrigley food fans about what they like to eat there. I need to know. :smile:

=R=

I haven't read the Trib piece, but to answer the question at the title of this thread is such a no-brainer -- Milwaukee. But I have to invoke a caveat here: IF the food from the old County Stadium is the same stuff being served at Miller Park.

The food at old County was head and shoulders above any other ballpark food.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I haven't read the Trib piece, but to answer the question at the title of this thread is such a no-brainer -- Milwaukee. But I have to invoke a caveat here: IF the food from the old County Stadium is the same stuff being served at Miller Park.

I don't think it is the same but I'm not 100% sure. I thought the offerings at Miller Park (was there 3 summers ago) were non-descript and generic. From what I remember, they weren't as good (in quality or available selection) as the offerings County Stadium. But, I was at Miller Park for a concert, not a ball game so maybe my experience there wasn't representative.

I will share with you the the one enduring food memory from my experience at Miller Park....dippin' dots-Ice cream of the future :biggrin:

=R=

Better have good food, because what they put on the field sure ain't palatable.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Though I must disclose my natural preference for the boys on the south side, this in no way influences my food choices. Wrigleyville has a number of good pre/post game restaurants whereas Comiskey has nothing, but inside the park, Wrigley is terrible! The Cubs have nothing worthwhile at the concessions, with the exception of a better beer selection than Comiskey. The Sox grilled kosher dogs (with grilled onions if one so chooses) are excellent, and even better on thursdays when the price is knocked down to $2.50 for a kosher dog and $1 for a regular dog. Comiskey has a number of other food offerings (pizza, italian beef, mexican, gyros), but you go to the ball park for a dog, and Comiskey's are very good. Comiskey has a number of dessert offerings (including what is available in the sky boxs in one of the concourse concession stands), but every now and then I'll grab a churros from the vendor.

In my younger days, I remember being at SkyDome when it first opened and they had McDonald's as one of the concessions. I was much younger and remember how cool I thought it was, but I can't imagine the same reaction now. I made the trip up to Miller Park last year and was very disappointed with the food options, though the park is absolutely beautiful. I'm looking forward to a trip in a few weeks to Camden Yards for some of the Boog's BBQ...

Edited by chengb02 (log)

Good point about the areas surrounding the stadiums. Comiskey really is on an island. But now that you mention it, I do remember the churros at Comiskey....yum *drool* :biggrin:

20+ years ago, when I was a freshman at Tulane, I stepped into the Superdome for the first time and was blown away by the concession options...frozen strawberry daiquiris dispensed from a 'slurpee' machine and nachos with cheese sauce and jalapenos. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Whaddaya want, I was only 18 at the time (and all I'd seen up to then was the lousy Chicago stadium fare) :biggrin:

=R=

No food around Comiskey?? Come now!!

Two of my down and dirty favorite treats in Chicago are the excellent cheeseburgers at Kevin's Hamburger Heaven on 35th and The Southside Shrimp House on 31st. Neither place will knock your socks off in terms of decor. But the food rocks at both.

Edited by YourPalWill (log)

Thanks YPW for the recommendations. Saying Comiskey is on an island was a bit of an overstatement on my part (was thinking primarily about the park being bordered to the east by the Ryan Expressway, etc.). Let me revise that and just say that the density of good food around Wrigley Field is higher than it is around Comiskey. Inside the parks however, it appears there's a strong consensus that the food at Comiskey is better.

=R=

• 2 years later...
Wrigleyville has a number of good pre/post game restaurants

Going to Wrigley tomorrow for afternoon game--first time. Would love some pre and post game recommendations! Prefer good food to rowdy crowd.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Going to Wrigley tomorrow for afternoon game--first time. Would love some pre and post game recommendations! Prefer good food to rowdy crowd.

I'm sure that others are way more knowledgeable than I about this topic, but I do recommend the Wrigleyville location of Heaven On Seven. You also can try a Metromix search. On the left side of the page, in the box for "Neighborhood," scroll down and select "Wrigleyville," then plug in your other options.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

According to Citysearch, the Wrigleyville location closed. Good idea tho.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

As long as you don't prefer well-played baseball, you'll be fine at Wrigley Field. Of course, that doesn't take into account the visiting team :wink:

Seriously though, you might want to try Spacca Napoli in Ravenswood, which has been getting great comments on its food; especially its pizza. Not sure of their hours, but it's almost certain to be open after the game.

Spacca Napoli

1769 W. Sunnyside Ave.

Chicago, IL

(773) 878-2420

You might also want to try Sweets and Savories, which isn't too far Wrigley Field and is between it and downtown. It's a great spot but only open for dinner.

=R=

There's not a whole lot of terribly exciting food in the immediate area of Wrigley Field, but a good meal can definitely had. Here are some suggestions, starting closest to Wrigley and moving out.

Raw Bar - This used to be one of my favorite places in the city. An interesting menu of some Persian and non-Persian food. I was there probably about a year ago and I thought the food had gone way down hill. Some people still like it though. At the very least, it's a pretty cool place to have a drink at the bar.

Chen's - Chinese/Japanese. Certainly not the most traditional, but can still be pretty good.

Twist - Mix of traditional and non-traditional tapas. Most things I've had there have been pretty good. They don't take reservations, so getting a table could be tough after a game, especially with a large party.

X/O - Another small-plates place. Not tapas. Kind of a trendy, scene-y place but I've always enjoyed the food. Very cool outdoor dining area behind the restaurant.

Socca - Italian/French bistro. A bit more expensive than the other restaurants in the area, but worth it. Very good steak frittes.

Those are probably your best bets in the immediate area. You'll see a couple of sushi places on Clark if you approach Wrigley from the south. Avoid them.

Raw Bar

3720 N Clark St

Chen's

3506 N Clark St

Twist

3412 N Sheffield Ave

X/O

3441 N. Halsted St

Socca

3301 N Clark St

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Since the start of this thread dates to 2004, I'll comment that last summer, Levy Restaurants, which runs the food concessions at both Chicago ballparks, substantially upgraded its offerings at Wrigley. I only tasted a preview sampling, so I can't say how good they are during actual ballgame conditions, but what I tried was pretty decent.

And, yellow truffle, if you're still looking for good corn dogs, you might want to head to Fat Willy's, where they hand dip and fry to order.

Fat Willy's Rib Shack

773/782-1800

www.fatwillysribshack.com

2416 W. Schubert Ave., Chicago

LAZ