• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SEA: Last-minute lunch at Tutta Bella

I don't pretend to have the extensive pizza knowledge of wesza, but i did spend a week shoveling down pizzas in Napoli a few years ago so I at least know what a good pizza tastes like. (My winner? A back-alley joint across the way from the Train Station. Somehow it made dining in a garbage-strewn alley with chicken legs dangling from a balcony a culinary delight)

Tutta Bella is the closest I've tasted to a Napolitan pizza. On the oil, I read that they were told by the VPN people to stop because it isn't authentic. As to the heat, I found the crust done perfectly on my margherita yesterday. Nutty, chewy yet crusty and toothsome. I loved it, and it was only in the oven for 2 min tops so it has to at least be in the 800-900 degree range doesn't it?

If I had to grade it, I would say 8 out of 10 (10 being the Napoli alley pizza).

• 2 months later...

The Dood & I have been to Tutta Bella twice now. The first time was in February, not too long after it opened, I think. Don't remember which two pizzas we had, but while the flavors were good, both were soggy in the middle. Also had poor service, involving the two pizzas (ordered at the same time) being delivered to the table over 20 minutes apart, with no explanation. We politely let an employee know of the service issue on our way out, and were pleasantly surprised to be given a coupon for a free pizza.

We didn't get around to using it until last Saturday. The place was busy, but we were seated within 10 minutes or so. Ordered some wine, a Caesar salad to share, some flatbread, and two pizzas. The salad wasn't bad (no anchovies, though), and the flat bread was tasty. Both were brought out promptly, and things were going well. Then we waited, and waited, and waited. Saw lots of other parties get their pizzas, but none for us. Our server eventually came back out to apologize for the delay, and let us know our order had been "pushed back." About 30 minutes after our appetizers had been cleared, our pizzas made it to us. Again, the flavors were good, but the pizza was still soggy in the middle. The server said the timing glitch was because we had ordered appetizers, but there were other tables who came in after us, had appetizers as well, and were halfway through their pizzas before ours arrived. Besides, I generally don't expect to have that kind of a delay at any restaurant, just because I ordered appetizers.

The first visit service issue I chalked up to new restaurant jitters. This time was probably just bad luck, as many other tables seemed to get their pizzas promptly. But even if the service got better, I wouldn't go back unless I happened to be in the neighborhood, craving pizza. For the wood-fired, thin-crust type of pizza, I prefer La Vita e Bella in Belltown, and Cafe Zaffarano in West Seattle, though they don't have as many toppings available. And The Dood won't go back to Tutta Bella in any case. He wasn't buying into the 'bad luck' idea.

• 2 months later...

I finally sampled the pizza and salad at Tutta Bella - it was okay - but such a soft crust? I was underwhelmed. The salad was quite good.

As my memory of La Vita e Bella was so good - I tried it again. The older woman was nowhere to be seen. Some young, non-italian cooks were in the kitchen (though the front of house Italians were still there). The pizza flavors were pretty good, but the dough lacked the crunch and lighteness I recalled. The arugula in the salad was past its prime - and quite overdressed - tasty, but lacking finesse. The pizza place and the adjoining cafe were both doing good business.

Okay, I promise to try Carla's pizza, and soon.

I think part of the problem with both Tutta Bella and La Viita e Bella (and my experience yesterday at Il Fornaio) is that they are taking the pies out of the oven too soon because of more customers.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

• 1 month later...

We ate with friends at Tutta Bella last night. The atmosphere in the place is great! They had a musician playing which was very fun. Service was great! Salad was great! Wine list and pricing...great! Pizza??? EH.

The crust was WAY too soft. I had the Margarhita and it was too heavy for that. Really soggy on the ends- all of the pizza's were that way. The flavors were wonderful but the crust lacked the crunch!

The place was packed so obviously others don't mind. The owner's wife (can't recall her name) came over and chatted with me and was very nice.

I was dissappointed :sad:

We live very nearby and have learned from experience to skip the pizza altogether and instead get the Salerno Salad and/or the Tutta Bella Mista Salad with an order of "Carta da Musica" (flatbread topped with olive oil, sea salt and rosemary). The flatbread, sans all the soggy pizza toppings, comes out of the oven crispy and delicious. If we are in the mood for a good pizza, we either grill one ourselves on the grill or go to Cafe Lago for one of Carla's. I am intrigued by Irwin's ability to coax a decent pizza out of Pagliacci. What do you say to them?

• 4 months later...

FINALLY made it in to Tutta Bella today....about a 6 or a 7 out of 10.

I will say this...Damn, they use a lot of flour. We sat right in front of the pizza maker and we were aghast at how much flower they used. (and when we got our pies, we could TASTE how much flower they used.)

I gotta agree with Irwin and others on this thread. Sadly undercooked. 10-15 itsy bitsy seconds more, and they would have been miles better then what they were.

I'm sorry, I was a bad egulleteer and did not take the names down of the pies that we had. I DO remember the special of the Day, the Pizza Umbria. (Ok, it was my choice.) I liked the pancetta and loved the potatos. However, (IMHO) the pancetta was sliced too thick and did not even begin to crisp/brown, not even a little bit. The other thing that stood out topping wise, on one of the other pizzas that were ordered, the pizza featured basil, and there was barely any to be found.

Didn't like how they ran the ordering system either. Kinda weird, and by the time we were done, their rush had started, and we didnt feel like standing in the line again to get espresso.

And, I'm gonna sound like a partisan here...but I like our Caeser better as well. Anchovies optional? Anchovies MANDATORY! Croutons were nice and well cooked, but kind of...."eh". If I go again, I'll try their "Pizza Salad".

However....Now I know where they are....and NOW I know where the Silver Fork, The Wellington, Roy's BBQ, Jones BBQ, and, in what is probably the most exciting find of the day, a mysterious storefront operation called....The Chicken Shack.

The Chicken Shack. That is just too funny. Anybody know when it's open?

Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

If I'm not working...I am SO in... :laugh:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I live in Columbia City and have visited Tutta Bella on 3 occasions. The third will be my last. The place has no soul and the food has been mediocre each time. Frankly it freaks me out that my neighborhood is very diverse ethnically, financially, and age-wise. And yet all you seen in Tutta Bella are upper-middle class white people. I say open a pizza joint that makes everyone feel welcome. Bring on the $1.50 slice!

PS: Not only should anchovies not be “optional”. You shouldn’t have to pay $1 for someone to place 4 anchovies on top of lettuce. Anchovies should be in the dressing or it’s not a Caesar salad. If people don't want anchovies they can order a green salad.