• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mt. Gay Launches Vanilla and Mango Flavors

beans

Look out vodka! I knew that Malibu won many accolades at the biggie San Fran show for the Mango rum and that Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay was entering the flavoured market as well, but this surprised me! (Not to forget Cruzan products as well).

I am going to count on these as being in Mt. Gay's tradition with quality.

Both new flavors begin with Mount Gay’s renowned Eclipse rum, the result of Mount Gay’s unique single and double distillation methods and expert blending. Mount Gay Mango Rum is a perfectly balanced blend of Mount Gay Eclipse rum and sweet, luscious mango from Mexico, yielding a crisp and light harmony of rich, natural mango and smooth fruit flavors. Mount Gay Vanilla Rum offers a delicious infusion of natural vanilla from Madagascar, featuring a sweet, creamy vanilla taste enhanced with gentle hints of custard and butter for a warm and delightful taste sensation.

Full press release here.

Cheers!

You know, I enjoy Mt. Gay so much, I don't think I could pull myself to try flavored versions! I bet it will blow the other flavored versions out of the water though.

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

• 1 month later...

I'm sure this is a reaction to Cruzan's highly popular flavored rum line. And actually, their packaging looks very similar.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well, without knowing that the rums I was tasting were the new Mount Gay flavors, I tried both the Mango and Vanilla flavored rums a couple of days ago and then again today and I can honestly say that I couldn't tell what flavor they were trying to reproduce. And I wasn't the only one. I expect these to change, or disappear soon. But having said that, I have to admit that the Mount Gay Refined Eclipse that I tried recently in Barbados was a lot better than I remembered it being and believe the blend has improved over that bottled a few years ago. Not that I would ever expect anyone to admit such a thing.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Mount Gay would like you to taste smoky oak and vanilla in their Refined Eclipse but they seem to have strayed from the blend that made them famous years ago. It is hard to predict in advance how much rum you are going to sell years in advance so at times rums blended from aged stocks go through inevitable changes.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.