• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter & Co

herbacidal

Has anyone tried this place?

I've tried it once, and it's damm good peanut butter.

Just wondering what others thought of it.

The obvious point of contention is probably price / value.

That's probably also why I haven't gone back.

Anyone know what kind of jelly they use?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I guess it was pretty good peanut butter, but it's stupid expensive comfort food for NYU kids as far as I can tell...the bread was like Wonder bread, the jelly was okay, the Nutella was overpriced...why? sorta like that new pierogi place on Bleecker, which is very disappointing.

I used to stop in occasionally to buy their PB, one jar each of smooth and crunchy, as housegifts for certain friends, plus, of course, a few jars as a special spoon treat for myself. When properly mixed and chilled, even the smooth was beautifully grainy, and not the sticky paste that generally passes for peanut butter.

Then, one time a year or so ago, shortly after they changed the jar shape and label style, I got bad jars of both kinds -- kind of lifeless and stale-tasting -- and I didn't return. It may just have been coincidental, but the jars that time were labeled as having been packed in Brooklyn, rather than at the store. Did they perhaps go large-scale and commercial, sacrificing quality in the process? Is the PB served on-site different from what's sold in jars, even at the store? Was my experience anomalous? Now that you mention it, further investigation is required.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

I've ordered their product online a couple of times. The jars can be inconsistent in flavor and in need of serious agitation. It is quote good when you get a good jar though.

I use the spicy peanut butter in peanut sauce.

I use to stop in the Peanut Butter Co just to get cherry cokes a few years ago when i was in the area all the time. They mix their own and it was always terrific. I have forgotten about the place until recently when my butcher, Empire Purveyors, started selling jars of their stuff. I wonder if they sell it all over the city?

I went there a few weeks ago for the 'Elvis': gobs of peanut butter, honey, bacon, and bananas on wheat bread (my choice) slathered in butter and grilled ($7 or 8). Although satisfying at the time, I haven't been able to touch peanut butter since :blink:

• 2 months later...

i just saw a thing, yesterday, on pbs about sandwiches and this place was featured. i thought the idea was wonderful and i went to their site to see if the pb is available here. it is and i am going to go get some this week.

lisa

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley