• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Day at The Races

docsconz

:sad: We won't be there either. We'll still be out on the West Coast, Vancouver to Seattle, before taking a red-eye home to arrive Monday morning. Foo -- would have been my first time at the track. We'll miss y'all.

Me. Count me in. I'll bring something sweet for afters (tart or cake), and something snacky-dippy-hors-d'oeuvres-y for befores. And who knows what else. When confabbing with eGulleteers, one cooks up a storm, no?

What timish is this shindig sposed to go off? I'd love to bring Mr. GG, but need to drag him away from work early.

Me. Count me in. I'll bring something sweet for afters (tart or cake), and something snacky-dippy-hors-d'oeuvres-y for befores. And who knows what else. When confabbing with eGulleteers, one cooks up a storm, no?

What timish is this shindig sposed to go off? I'd love to bring Mr. GG, but need to drag him away from work early.

A few of us (at least) should probably get to the track early to reserve a spot and set up. I believe the races startHere is general information about the Track. The first post time is at 1 PM. The Admission Gates open at 10:30AM. I will be there no later than that and anyone who wants to join me is more than welcome to. That Sunday is "Saratoga Umbrella Giveaway" day with a free umbrella with paid admission while supplies last. These days are always popular and if you are interested in one, I suggest arriving early. As far as the pot-luck itself, we should probably plan on starting it by 12PM, which would give people some time to meet, eat and mingle before the races start. If anyone can't make it quite that early, not to worry - just show up when you can and bring something appropriate to that.

I have inquired about renting a tent or reserving picnic tables, and am awaiting a response from group sales. I will post any further information in this regard as I get it. If this doesn't come through I suggest we try to get a spot somewhere on the lawn and post an eGullet sign.

So far we have appetizers, a couple of mains and dessert committed. We can probably use more of these in addition to bevereges and tableware.

I'm disappointed to read about those of you who cannot attend but would have liked to. Thanks for chiming in. We will miss you.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I was at the track this past weekend and without a doubt, the best way to get a table in a good location is to get to the track at 7:00 am when the gates open for "Breakfast at Saratoga." There is no admission charge at that time but they hit you for $10 parking. If you leave before 10:30 am, they refund the $10.

When you go in, throw a table cloth on the tables you want. You can either stick around for breakfast and watch the horses work out on the track or simply go back to your hotel for some sleep. No one will take over your table.

We saved two shady tables at 7:00 am and came back to the track at 12:15 with all of our food and drink. The available tables remaining at 10:30am when the gates open for the races are typically not in good locations.

P.S. We had an over-the-top dinner at Springwater Bistro that was truly incredible. Chef David Britton put together a 6 course his/her menu that had everyone moaning thru all of the dishes. He is truly talented and is clearly passionate about the food serves. If there is either pork or game on the menu, order it all. Make sure someone orders the mac & cheese. Also, top notch service.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

eGullet's day at The Races in Saratoga is coming up fast.

The roster so far

docsconz and family (5)

JosephB and family (3)

SLKinsey and Bergerka (2)

Phaelon56 and Guest (2)

GGMora and Husband (2)

possible:

MarkABauman (?)

Others?

I will provide plates, silverware and cups as well as drinking water in addition to my grilled lamb summer salad and a dessert. we will need some more mains and any special beveredges anyone wishes to bring.

I'm working on trying to reserve a table or 2, if I can.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Alacarte (Kara) mentioned awhile back that she was planning to go - not sure if she's still going to be there but I'll check with her.

Is anyone going to be there early to grab tables? We altered our plans and will no longer be staying over the night before - we'll just drive up on Sunday morning but probably won't arrive until 10:30 or 11 AM.

:sad:

Guys, I'm sorry to do this, but it turns out I'm going to be unable to attend (damn it, and I've been looking forward to it, too). It has just become impossible for me to leave town for the entire weekend, and it doesn't seem practical for me to bus up Sunday morning and back Sunday night (not to mention a total of 8 hours on a bus would make me really, really cranky).

Big hugs from me to everyone. Next time.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Alacarte (Kara) mentioned awhile back that she was planning to go - not sure if she's still going to be there but I'll check with her.

Is anyone going to be there early to grab tables? We altered our plans and will no longer be staying over the night before - we'll just drive up on Sunday morning but probably won't arrive until 10:30 or 11 AM.

Thanks for the reminder....

I was hope, hope, hoping that I'd be able to come...but it's looking more and more like the work schedule will be keeping me at home. Sorry. :angry: I do love Saratoga, and I haven't been there for years. And I was looking forward to seeing some of my favorite e'Gers! :smile:

I hope you all have a blast, win lots of $$ at the races, and eat well.

The Docsconzes were incredible hosts. I'm glad turnout was limited, though, because it allowed the six of us to have about 20 pounds of meat all to ourselves. We'll post a few photos later on.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The Races were decidedly an afterthought yesterday. We got to the track later than anticipated (because we ate too well the night before), so when we did get there it was quite crowded - in fact too crowded to be comfortable. We hooked up with Phaelon56 and his lovely guest. After getting our umbrellas (it was umbrella day at the track) and checking out a few races, we all went back to my place where we had our picnic in relative ease.

A few thoughts, if we are to do this again. It is difficult to find a weekend in which the racetrack will not be very crowded. It does not make sense to me to try to "wing it" getting a spot to picnic. It might have beeen reasonable with reserved tables. These cost money, which is not a big deal, but it is hard to anticipate numbers far enough in advance to be able to book them accurately and sufficiently. The tables were sold out months ago, apparently. My feeling at this point is that it is too difficult a venue for a large group to get together for a pot-luck picnic that is not corporate sponsored. As such, I think this may not be the greatest venue for an eGullet get-together in the future. We had fun and a lot of it, but it was mostly despite the track. A show at SPAC may be a better venue for a Saratoga area eGullet potluck. I will keep an eye out for an appropriate show next summer.

Twitter - @docsconz

Our weekend in the Adirondacks was memorable. Grazie fratello mio.

Joe, two sentences do not constitute details. Since I'm pining away over having missed it, post some damn details before I whack you with a wiffle bat. :angry:

Please. :wub::wub:

I know where you live! :raz:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I'm SO sorry we had to miss it. Line-editing a 600-page automotive technical manual was NOT an acceptable alternative.

The grounds around SPAC are indeed lovely and would make for a nice, low-key venue. And of course, there are lovely spots in Vermont. But that would take it out of New York and land it in New England. :smile:

The Races were decidedly an afterthought yesterday. We got to the track later than anticipated (because we ate too well the night before),

Where did you eat the night before?

For the future, getting a table at 7:00 am is the way to go. Throw on a table cloth or two and leave. You can return to the track at around 12 noon and start putting the food and drink out. We did it that way this year and avoided the mad rush for tables when the gates officially open at 10:30 am.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

For the future, getting a table at 7:00 am is the way to go.

You have to get out of bed first :raz:

JosephB and Family and Steven and Ellen came up on Friday night. Saturday we visited the Glens Falls Farmers Market, 3-Corner Field Farm, Flying Pigs Farm and Sheldon Farmstand in Shushan. We collected a wide range of local ingredients to go along with some I already had, came back to my house and created a great dinner, mostly prepared by JosephB. Some of the things we made werre tempura fried Kilpatrick family Farm squash blossoms, heirloom tomatoes and Starhill dairy mozzarella di buffala insalata Caprese, potato (made with Sheldon Farms potatoes) gnocchi with Vermont Butter and Cheese Co. butter and Sconzo Farm sage sauce, roast 3Corner Field Farm Leg of Lamb (from Julia Child's recipe in How to Cook), Roast Flying Pigs Farm Pork Loin Roast and Flying Pigs Farm Free-range Chicken, sauteed Van Eyk Farm chinese broccoli and Sheldon Farms Corn on the Cob. Non-local ingredients were used for fois gras froid, lime-infused flan and home-made peach ice-cream. The wines were decidedly non-local and came from Spain, France, Germany, Italy and Australia. The kitchen was actually a model of efficiency and teamwork both in preparation and clean-up.

Leftovers were used to prepare for out picnic the next day, another reason we were late.

Twitter - @docsconz

I should probably give some more detail about the picnic itself, although I'll spare the sourcing :rolleyes:

We had a lamb salad with sheeps-milk feta, tomatoes and mint; pork with peaches,corn, onion and lime; roast chicken, Caprese salad; brie with bread; and Phaelon's Thai duck salad. Drinks consisted of Prosecco, peppermint iced tea and water. Desserts included brownies and blondies as well as some more peach ice cream.

We ate well, but the best part was the company.

Twitter - @docsconz

Picnics are overrated. I'm sure our meal was much more enjoyable for being eaten on the Sconzos' porch than it would have been at the racetrack. Even were I a fan of picnics in general, though, my feeling about the races is that it would be best to go sans food no matter what. The picnic areas of the racetrack are not actually in view of the track, so you're essentially watching the races on TV in the middle of a crowd. Unless you're very interested in the gaming aspect of racing, that's not much of an improvement over watching on ESPN. Whereas, if you go unburdened by a picnic, you can watch a few races from the rail, get out, and retreat to a more peaceful venue for the actual meal.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Not to be overlooked: the breakfasts. Doc can fill us in on the sources of the ingredients, but we had two wonderful breakfasts of local eggs, bacon, and a whole mess of other stuff.

We also had Saturday lunch composed of locally purchased breads and cheeses, and at around midnight on Friday Doc fried up some pork-stuffed rice balls.

Saturday morning we had Apple-smoked bacon from Oscar's Smoke House in Warrensburg, NY and herbed slow-scrambled eggs using Liddell farm eggs and herbs from my own garden. We used tarragon, chives and thyme. I also went out and got sticky buns and bread from Rock Hill bakery in Glens Falls. We also had fresh farmer's market cantaloupe.

Our Saturday lunch picnic consisted of some amazing area cheeses along with some super bread we purchased at Sheldon farmstand. The bread was local and outstanding. Unfortunately, I don't remember the baker's name :shock::sad: . Cheeses included the soft goat camembert like Kunik from Nettle Meadow, a five year old cheddar from Grafton Cheese Co. of Vermont, cultured unsalteed Vermont Bread and Cheese Co. butter and another young goat cheese whose name I can't remember. all were outstanding. I wish Sheldon Farmstand was a little closer to me. It is about an hour away. We had these delightful morsels with a 1997 Petite Syrah from lava cap that I scarfed from my brother who lives nearby. In fact we picniced on his property.

Sunday's breakfast consisted of Flying Pigs farm bacon, lamb sausages from 3 Corner Field farm and baked poulet eggs from 3 Corner Field farm. These eggs looked more European with their bright orange yolks.

Twitter - @docsconz