• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Day at The Races

docsconz

I can do any of those dates - count me in for the Saturday dinner.  Possibly plus one. I've been busy girlfriend shopping but not sure whether I'll have one all picked out and ready to introduce to the eGulleteers by then (or one may come and go before then....  who knows?)    :wink:

Owen, good luck with your quest, although a guy with your talents shouldn't have too much of a problem!

I'm pretty sure you could line up a nice "filly" at the track Saturday afternoon for an evening dinner.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Slightly OT.

Mrs JPW and I are prepping for our annual trip to the Saratoga Springs Jazz fest at end of June.  We usually arrive a day early and have yet to find a truly special place for dinner.

I'll have to try one of the places listed above and report back before you all head up to the races.

Any other suggestions out there?

Where have you tried already? The suggestions are my best ones at this time.

Unfortunately John, I cannot recall names too well (not that drinking has anything to do with it or anything). We've tried a couple of places right on the main drag. The Indian place which was pretty average, and the wine bar which had ok food but a very nice wine selection are two that pop off the top off my head. Off the main drag, a block or two down the hill behind the library, was an Asian fusion place that was pretty good.

Thanks again for suggestions.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

JPW, You hit the nail on the head with those places - good but not special.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thai-Sushi Garden on Phila St. It is not really so much "fusion" as it is a restaurant that does Sushi and other Japanese dishes and also Thai. It is not bad, but not really special depending on what you are used to.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Mrs JPW and I are prepping for our annual trip to the Saratoga Springs Jazz fest at end of June. We usually arrive a day early and have yet to find a truly special place for dinner.

I'll have to try one of the places listed above and report back before you all head up to the races.

Any other suggestions out there?

I suspect we've brushed shoulders or rubbed elbows a few times at Jazz Fest - I attended the first year that Geroge Wein revived it as Newport (1975 if I recall correctly), missed a few years and then started going again annually until a few years ago. Missed last year but the lineup looked weaker than usual. I substituted with

Seattle's Bumbershoot Music and Arts Festival

A combination of budget and schedule has prevented me from trying more upscale dining options when I've been to SPAC for Jazz Fest but I usually include a trip to Hattie's....

• 2 weeks later...
Like Doc said, we should move quickly to assign a date to this.

Corporate planning is already chewing into available dates at the Paddock Tent. While of course we cannot reserve picnic tables in advance, it would be nice to set this up with a few tenative dates.

Opening day is Thursday, July 28.

This leaves us with the following weekend dates.

7/30-8/1

8/7-8/8 The Whitney Handicap and the Jim Dandy

814-8/15

8/21-8/22

8/27-8/28 The Travers Weekend

woodburner

Unless there is a great outcry for 8/8, I think Sunday the 15th will likely be the best date. The weekend of the 7th/8th will likely be particularly crowdded, second only to the Travers. I will leave it until the end of April for people to voice their opinions before finalizing the date, however, if we don't see a groundswell of opinion for another date, I think it will be safe to plan around this date.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to remind any interested parties, the date for the eGullet Day at the Races in Saratoga is Sunday August 15th. It will be a potluck picnic. Please chime in with plans for attending and what you plan to bring.

Twitter - @docsconz

I haven't figured out what to bring yet, food-wise, but it will have to keep in a cooler chest with ice as I'll be arriving the previous afternoon from Syracuse (about a 2 1/2/ hour drive). Edited to add: I'm thinking about one of those Thai salads with crispy duck, pineapple and cashew. Either that or Vietnames chicken salad (Goi Ga). And yes... something with coffee or espresso in it :biggrin:

For those considering attending from other areas - hotels in Saratoga Springs have prices jacked up through the roof during the month of August due to racing season and often have 2 - 3 night minimum stays. I usually opt to stay in the Latham area, just off the Northway (I-87) - it's about a 20 - 25 minute drive from Saratoga Springs. There are decent choices there in the $50 $90 range if you shop carefully. Hilton Garden Inn and Marriott Courtyard get as cheap as $110 - $120 and the Latham Microtel (IMHO the best budget chain out there, hands down) should be at about $60 - $70 for AAA rate.

I'll be arriving sometime on Saturday. For those in NYC who have an interest in attending but no car or no driver's license.... there is Amtrak service to Saratoga from NYC and cabs are available to the track. I'll have room for two passengers if anyone plans to come and is going to stay in the Latham area - PM to discuss.

Edited to add: for those of you who are new to the forum, long-time lurkers or perhaps just join in discussion on rare occasions... this is an open event to which all are invited and encouraged to attend. I'm fairly active on the board but apart from a few folks who post only on rare occasions... there appear to be only a few of us on eGullet who are from far upstate and central NY. Here's a great chance to meet interesting people and socialize with like minded folks. I just recently attended my first eGullet event (NYC Pizza Survey outing) and had a great time - I arrived as a stranger and left parting with a group of friends. It's great to connect faces with names and personalities. Hope to see a good turnout at this event.

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

Depending on how many are coming a group gathering for Saturday may be difficult since the restaurants in the area tend to be very busy especially on a Saturday night. If it is a handful, it would probably make sense to do, but if many more, I believe it would be impractical and better saved for the picnic at the track. Some of us would have to get to the track early on Sunday to get a space and set up.

I can certainly recommend a number of good restaurants in the area for Saturday night if people would like. In Saratoga, Chez Sophie and Springwater Bistro are my favorites. Dine is a place I haven't tried yet, but comes highly recommended. Chianti is a popular, though IMO overrated, Italian spot that doesn't take reservations and will likely be a zoo that night. Mino's, Hibachi and Thai Sushi Garden are good but not incredible for sushi and Thai. Paradiso serves good homestyle Italian. Maestro, The Wine Bar, 43 Phila, Saratoga Steaks, Hattie's Chicken Shack and Eartha's are all good. Chameleon on The Lake is a new place set to open on Saratoga Lake. The Mexican Connection has Mexican food near the track, but I haven't been in years. Some people I know like it. Ciro's is near the track and only open in the summer. It is very popular amongst the track set, although I have never been (I generally try to avoid dining out in Saratoga in the summer). An excellent value if there is a Philadelphia Orchestra concert at SPAC is the buffet at The Hall of Springs at SPAC. It is catered by The Glen Sanders Mansion. The Patron's Club is even better, but not open to the generaal public. For afternoon fare, good lunches can be had from Mr.s London's Bakery and Cafe (their pastries, cookies and cakes are awesome) and .Putnam Market, also a good source for items to bring to the Picnic. Another good source are the local farms and farmer's markets. The Saratoga Farmer's Market is open from 9AM-1PM on Saturdays and should be teeming with great produce then.

I'll address other area restaurant recommendations for places such as Glens Falls, Greenwich and Cambridge in later posts.

The Philadelphia Orchestra is playing at SPAC on the 14th. Yefim Bronfmann is the guest piano soloist. He is awesome.

Twitter - @docsconz

Heads up on lodging for those planning to arrive on Saturday - it's racing season in August (have to hammer that point home even though Doc has already mentioned it) - rooms go fast and rates are higher. I just reserved at the Microtel in Latham and it's $89.99 per night with the AAA discount - $30 more than I'm paying to stay there in late June for Jazz Fest. That high a rate this early means they know they'll be sold out well before August, at least for the weekend nights - best to reserve now.

good point, Owen. If it were Whitney or Travers weekend it would probably already be sold out.

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm not sure if they have anything available, but if you want a true Saratoga experience stay at the Chestnut Tree Inn at 9 Whitney Place (518) 587-8681 (a ten-minute walk to the track). When you walk in the front door, you will think you walked into the 19th Century. Spectacular place and Cathleen (the innkeeper) is an amazing woman.

By the way, for those who were looking for my horse (Rachel's Sister) to run, she was injured in her last work prior to what would have been her first race. She's recuperating and won't race until October.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

By the way, for those who were looking for my horse (Rachel's Sister) to run, she was injured in her last work prior to what would have been her first race. She's recuperating and won't race until October.

Bummer! :sad:

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 weeks later...

Reporting on my culinary experiences at the Freihofer's Jazz Festival at SPAC.

Meant to do this earlier, but we returned from upstate Monday just in time for our Infant CPR class and then I had to drive DC to Richmond for a meeting on Tuesday.

Mrs. JPW and I kicked off our weekend Thursday night with a dinner at Chez Sophie (Malta on Rte. 9 just south of I - 87. www.chezsophie.com). It was a fabulous success. Thanks to all who recommended it. The restaurant is now on its second generation of French-American owner/operators. Very much French country food.

Mrs JPW started with a mix of sauteed mushrooms in a vinaigrette with some perfectly steamed asparagus on the side. I began with a goat cheese sprinkled with rosemary baked in puff pastry accompanied by a very elegant blueberry sauce. The pastry was perfectly complimented by a nice dry rose. (Domain Houhait, Cotes de Provence from what I can make out of the waitor's writing)

The next course was a nice palate cleaning light salad with a perfectly done tarragon vinaigrette.

Mrs JPW followed with the duck breast with a green peppercorn and apricot sauce. The duck was perfectly done. To my palate, the sauce was little too sweet, but Mrs JPW liked it just fine. It was rusticallty plated with haricot verts and rice pilaf. I had the beouf bordelaise variant with Cotes de Rhone used in the sauce instead of Bordeaux. The beef had the perfect consistency - falling apart, but not mushy. (For the life of me, I cannot remember the correct descriptor in the menu name) Plated with the single best mashed potatoes I have ever had and haricot verts. It was washed down by a Coteaux de Languedoc.

For dessert, Mrs JPW raved about the home-made vanilla ice cream.

I had cheese - A nameless stinky goat cheese and a Raclette.

I washed it down with coffee and a nice 1994 Churchill LBV port.

The restaurant is incongruously set in a 1950's diner. The wait staff was earnest if a little green (to be expected in a resort community). Chef Paul and his wife Cheryl were incredibly gracious hosts and dedicated to providing the most positive dining experience possible. You will be hard pressed to find a better (or more reasonably priced) wine list in a restaurant at this level. For that matter, you will be hard pressed to find a better meal in a restaurant at this level.

The next night we hooked up with the irrepressible Phaelon, his amazing GF, and three others for Southern comfort food at Hattie's, a local legend. Hattie is no longer there, but it's still good grub. The jumbalaya was a little disappointing (only 3 shrimp in the whole dish and so-so andouille), but the fried chicken was fantastic!

The corn bread was also quite good. The place is pretty much what you would expect - packed and loud with iffy service especially out on the patio with the bar crowd. But the chicken made it well worth the price of admission.

The rest of the weekend was spent on the lawn of SPAC listening to great music and drinking beer. Mrs. JPW and I are pretty busy this year, so we did not prepare too much of great interest. Phaelon, however, shared a great aged chedder with me.

Well, now I'm back to reality. :sad:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

It's true that my GF is a wonderful woman but then again.... so is the charming Mrs. JPW. Mr. JPW and I are just guys and we do our best to look good next to our gorgeous lady companions.

The aged cheddar mentioned was the "cheddar bleu" from Northland dairy Farms and it really is intriguing. Hattie's was much noisier than usual this year but as menioned, the chicken was fantastic - it's what I go there for and does not disappoint (my GF now insists that she makes better fried chicken - she'll have to cook some next time she visits - this is a good thing). I also agree on the corn bread although the greens were oddly a bit too sweet in as noticeable way.

I'm glad you found Chez sophie such a success. to me it is restaurant both with great food and personality - a great combination. I have been to Hattie's and have enjoyed it, but am much less familiar with it as I have not been in a while.

I'm sorry I missed the jazz festival this year as we were out west in Durango and Santa Fe. It would have been fun to hook up with y'all there. We'll just have to do it at the races!

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

eGullet Day at the Races is one month away. Please weigh in again with who is coming and what you will bring for the potluck. I will bring a meat based (most likely lamb) summer salad.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

Today was opening day at Saratoga. Our day at the Races is coming soon. Let's tally any interested parties! Please weigh in here.

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm still in and will bring Thai chashew-pineapple salad with crispy duck along with my charming GF. Had dinner with slkinsey (Sam) and his GF (our very own bergerka) this past weekend and they are on vacation but are also planning to attend.

I am sorry to say that I won't be there. :sad:

Although I will be in Saratoga every other weekend this summer, two very close friends have chosen that particular weekend to have a) bridal shower which I can't miss and b) 30th birthday dinner at Peter Luger's (OK, so that's not so much of a chore.)

I am really sorry I won't be there, as I would very much like to meet you all.