• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matrilineal Noodle Pudding

adrober

Coming from a family that doesn't cook, my quest for a family recipe was quite an ordeal. When I finally stumbled across a noodle pudding that I vaguely remember from my childhood, it was quite a relief. Not that I'd ever make it, but just to know we had one.

This begs the question: what family recipes do you have locked away that are worth more in sentiment than culinary merit?

The Amateur Gourmet

www.amateurgourmet.com

Which reminds me of a friend who had her recipes stored meticulously in her safe deposit box at the bank to be used by her two daughters when they achieved adulthood ... talk about ego!!

Loved your article and swear you and I were separated at birth .... it was my house and mother to a T ... I thought for the longest time that all meals came in little divided tin trays from Swanson's ... were we being accorded our rights under the provisions of the Geneva Convention? :hmmm:

So I am a first generation culinarily competent person .... if you wish to read how I became the channeler for Brillat Savarin, read my article at atlantacuisine.com to which I will be posting a link shortly ... here it is:

http://www.atlantacuisine.com/passionatepalate/bio.html

truly, separated at birth! :laugh:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm probably a first cousin to all you guys. If my mother was not the worse cook in the world, she's close contender for the title. Before we settled in New York, my grandmother used to marinate soy cakes in really spicy chili for months, and sent it to us. We would spread pieces of it with chopsticks on our congee. It was the best treat we had as kids. However, no one in the family ever found out how she made it.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I'm probably a first cousin to all you guys. If my mother was not the worse cook in the world, she's close contender for the title. Before we settled in New York, my grandmother used to marinate soy cakes in really spicy chili for months, and sent it to us. We would spread pieces of it with chopsticks on our congee. It was the best treat we had as kids. However, no one in the family ever found out how she made it.

An oriental lansman?

The soy cake sounded so good!! At least your mother was a "worst cook" ... mine didn't even make the effort at that dubious title!! :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Adam, I really liked your story.

And since you asked...

My maternal grandmother was a wonderful cook...so naturally my famous family recipe comes from my father's mother, Sophie, a bad cook in every way. We nicknamed her roast chicken -- Toxic Shock Cock because it was burnt to a crisp and somehow tasted like WD40.

In later years, Sophie's culinary skills declined to the point where she was forbidden to eat her own cooking because of poisoning potential. (Apparently leaving perishables like milk out on the counter all night didn't phase her.) Her doctor insisted she get her 3 squares from meals-on-wheels and family members.

Yet, somehow, she could make a chocolate cream pie.

When she came to our house on holidays she always brought one and despite the wonderful fruit pies, cakes, and cookies that others made, grandma's chocolate cream pie would disappear first.

She never gave us the recipe, and for some reason, no one ever asked for it.

Then one Thanksgiving, grandma had a very bad stroke, and she was not doing well. My grandfather stopped by and dropped off a paper grocery bag and before he left, said, "It's grandma's pie, she knows how much you like it, and she wanted you to have it today."

After he left, my sister and I started to cry... Here was our grandma, so fragile and sick and she still cared enough to make us a pie! Shame on us for those years we mocked her cooking...how bad were we??!!!

My sister then opened the bag and took out the contents... a pre-packaged graham cracker crust, a can of chocolate pudding, and a tub of cool whip.

And that was our Grandma's pie.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

My sister then opened the bag and took out the contents... a pre-packaged graham cracker crust, a can of chocolate pudding, and a tub of cool whip.

1. No way would I touch that noodle pudding - and I like a good noodle pudding.

2. I inherited my interest (!) in food from my Mom. She learned to cook after her wedding - at 23+.

3. A friend and I promised cheesecake to a class in college. By the time we were shopping at 2 am, and after picking up all the scratch ingredients, we looked at each other and bought 2 Jello cheesecake packages - doctored one with lemon in the filling, the other with cinnamon in the crust. Fellow students declared them to be excellent. We never fessed up. And never used boxed mixes again.

Adam, I really liked your story.

And since you asked...

My maternal grandmother was a wonderful cook...so naturally my famous family recipe comes from my father's mother, Sophie, a bad cook in every way. We nicknamed her roast chicken -- Toxic Shock Cock because it was burnt to a crisp and somehow tasted like WD40.

In later years, Sophie's culinary skills declined to the point where she was forbidden to eat her own cooking because of poisoning potential. (Apparently leaving perishables like milk out on the counter all night didn't phase her.) Her doctor insisted she get her 3 squares from meals-on-wheels and family members.

Yet, somehow, she could make a chocolate cream pie.

When she came to our house on holidays she always brought one and despite the wonderful fruit pies, cakes, and cookies that others made, grandma's chocolate cream pie would disappear first.

She never gave us the recipe, and for some reason, no one ever asked for it.

Then one Thanksgiving, grandma had a very bad stroke, and she was not doing well. My grandfather stopped by and dropped off a paper grocery bag and before he left, said, "It's grandma's pie, she knows how much you like it, and she wanted you to have it today."

After he left, my sister and I started to cry... Here was our grandma, so fragile and sick and she still cared enough to make us a pie! Shame on us for those years we mocked her cooking...how bad were we??!!!

TrishCT---that was a great story! Touching and funny all at the same time. Thanks for sharing :)

Adam

The Amateur Gourmet

www.amateurgourmet.com

This begs the question: what family recipes do you have locked away that are worth more in sentiment than culinary merit?

My maternal (much-beloved) grandmother used to make a casserole called Porcupine Balls. Ground beef, onions, and uncooked rice rolled into small meatballs, surrounded by more uncooked rice and a can of tomato soup and water, baked for several hours. A classic one-pot wonder dish, but I could never serve this to guests without risking derisive laughter..........and then there's the name..........

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Here's another two from my grandmother which are Taiwanese dishes: Bitter Melon sauteed in black bean sauce and stuffed Bitter Melon. My mother also never quite learn how these were done. I should experiement with these sometimes and try to figure it out.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

used to make a casserole called Porcupine Balls.  Ground beef, onions, and uncooked rice rolled into small meatballs, surrounded by more uncooked rice and a can of tomato soup and water, baked for several hours. 

This recipe is form the 1958 Camplbells Soup Cook Book where it's known as "Yummy Porcupine Meatballs":

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/momentsintime/item/Bookx2092

Or, as we used to say, Porkypine Meatballs.

My maternal (much-beloved) grandmother used to make a casserole called Porcupine Balls.

Hey! My mom made those too. Heck, I think she still does. They were right up there with Chicken Noodle Casserole (Campbell's chicken noodle soup, ground beef, Minute Rice, celery - stick in a big casserole and bake).

Ah, memories.