• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Dog

Holly Moore

I was sorry to see Frankie Clemments go. Along with Charlie's Waterwheel it was one of the original power lunch places. An old fashioned tavern popular with the City Hall Crowd, packed with cliques and pretty much assigned seating around the bar during the lunch rush. Food was OK for bar food, but nothing special.

Good Dog (15th between Walnut and Locust) took it over, scoured some, painted some. Pumped up the beer list and the menu.

i4735.jpg

First visit I went for the namesake Good Dog Burger. It's a half pound patty, stuffed with Roquefort and topped with caramelized onions. Kinda tall so as I was taking my first bite I squashed it down. Like some sort of novelty trick hamburger the melted cheese squired out of the patty and up my arm. But a good eating burger anyway.

i4736.jpg

Have also had their three cheese grilled cheese sandwich - fontina, asiagio and gruyere, bacon and thin sliced apple on what they call a brioche. Bread texture was strange for a grilled cheese sandwich, but good flavor.

i4737.jpg

Their version of a muffalatta came as a surprise. I'm thinking a round hoagie. It arrived a very thin sandwich - fennel salami, aged provolone and the standard muffalatta mix, built on olive bread. Though not very substantial to look at, it packed an intense wallop. A great sandwich.

Sandwiches all come with a mix of fresh-cut french fries and sweet potato fries. Sweet potato fries often disappoint. These are very good.

Heavier dishes, which I haven't tried, include a full rack of baby back ribs, 6 layer lasagna and roasted chicken.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

i was all set to goto one of my favorite sushi spots (shiroi hana) for lunch yesterday but was sidetracked into good dog (next door). i had a horrible squid salad. the food did not warrant sharing so as i did not not try the sandwiches my fellow diners disinterest led me to believe i was missing nothing. don't get me wrong, i think this is a great drinking bar with excellent beer and a fun wine selection (and the evening bartenders actually know about it!). plus the have industry nights for all of us hardworking (and drinking) restaurant workers.

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

i was all set to goto one of my favorite sushi spots (shiroi hana) for lunch yesterday but was sidetracked into good dog (next door). i had a horrible squid salad. the food did not warrant sharing so as i did not not try the sandwiches my fellow diners disinterest led me to believe i was missing nothing. don't get me wrong, i think this is a great drinking bar with excellent beer and a fun wine selection (and the evening bartenders actually know about it!). plus the have industry nights for all of us hardworking (and drinking) restaurant workers.

Welcome Mikerocks!

At which of our fair city's dining establishments do you earn your living? And doing what?

Just curious...

Too bad you had a such a bad experience at Good Dog. I thought they had a decent wine selection for a beer bar as well. Not so sure I would've been brave enough to order a squid salad in there though. I tend to stick to the basics like burgers, wings, etc. in bars and pubs unless I know for sure there's a real chef behind the kitchen doors, like Ben McNamara at Dark Horse/Black Sheep.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i agree with the not over ordering at a bar, but when the good dog opened they made such a big deal in their print adds, and on their chalkboard menu, that their chef was from the cia that i guess i expected them to handle calamari. in answer to katie's question, i will be working at good dog's other neighbor the striped bass. everything is looking very exciting inside

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

i agree with the not over ordering at a bar, but when the good dog opened they made such a big deal in their print adds, and on their chalkboard menu, that their chef was from the cia that i guess i expected them to handle calamari.

Really? I musta missed that in their ads.

Anyway, I have continually heard good stuff about their burgers.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Anyway, I have continually heard good stuff about their burgers.

"Stuff" - about their roquefort stuffed burgers. Good one, Herb :biggrin:

Well, you know me. King of the subtle humor.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I tend to stick to the basics like burgers, wings, etc. in bars and pubs unless I know for sure there's a real chef behind the kitchen doors, like Ben McNamara at Dark Horse/Black Sheep.

Went to the Good Dog for lunch today. Two of us waited a while to be offered drinks in the mostly empty restaurant. I started with the empanadas and then the Good Dog burger.

The empanadas were ok - nothing to write home about, really. IMHO they could have spent some more time in the oven to achieve golden brown. But what surprised me was the burger. After reading Holly's description I had high hopes, but when it came it was undercooked and, hmm, where's the roquefort?? :huh: The fries were limp and greasy too.

Before the food came the waiter had raved about their mac n' cheese, which wasn't on the menu (can't be too popular if no one knows to order it? :blink: ), too bad I won't be back to try it.

On to better eating...

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

But what surprised me was the burger. After reading Holly's description I had high hopes, but when it came it was undercooked and, hmm, where's the roquefort?? :huh:

Welcome to eGullet

Undercooked? How did you order it. I've had it two times; both arrived as ordered, a perfect medium rare.

As to the roquefort, did you order a basic burger or the Good Dog Burger? It is the Good Dog that has plenty of roquefort in it.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

<x>

As to the roquefort, did you order a basic burger or the Good Dog Burger?  It is the Good Dog that has plenty of roquefort in it.

When I visited Good Dog a few weekends ago, we had 2 regular and 1 Good Dog burgers: all cooked to order, but the Good Dog burger had hardly any Roquefort in it. Maybe it depends on who's in the kitchen b/c they definitely skimped that time. Also yay for the pool table upstairs as well as cute doggy photo decor. kt

Holly:

I ordered the burger medium (I'm a medium rare steak, medium burger kind of girl) and the burger was definitely more on the rare side of things. And I did order the Good Dog burger, so I was really looking forward to the roquefort. Maybe I just hit them on a bad day.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

• 8 months later...

i finally got to good dog a couple weeks ago. the burger was damn good, but i like black sheep's better. it was on the rare side, but didn't have enough char on the outside. i like a slightly charred outside of the burger with a medium-rare inside. this was more lightly cooked on the outside.

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

No one has yet mentioned the "secret" of the Good Dog Burger. Not only is the lovely patty stuffed with Roquefort and then topped with carmelized onions, but they grind their own meat and put about 5% FOIE GRAS in with the top Sirloin. :shock: If it's cooked to no more than medium-rare and has the requisite toppings, stuffings and the killer mixed Sweet Potato and Yukon Gold fries on the side, you can't go wrong. Yeah Baby! That's a burger.

They also do a discount for "in-the-biz" folks on Sunday-Monday-Tuesday if I'm not mistaken. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

but they grind their own meat and put about 5% FOIE GRAS in with the top Sirloin. 

aaaaaagghh!!! more foie gras!!! it's everywhere!

when you find out that it's the reason that the capogiro gelato is so freaking good, just don't tell me, OK?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

No one has yet mentioned the "secret" of the Good Dog Burger.  Not only is the lovely patty stuffed with Roquefort and then topped with carmelized onions, but they grind their own meat and put about 5% FOIE GRAS in with the top Sirloin.  :shock: 

Is that true? I'd heard it before going there, but they don't mention it on the menu. If I were using foie in my burger, I'd shout it to the rafters. Are they afraid of a raid by the PETA commandos?

edit: at least, "I didn't notice it on the menu", and I was looking. Anyway, it's definitely a good burger.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

but they grind their own meat and put about 5% FOIE GRAS in with the top Sirloin. 

aaaaaagghh!!! more foie gras!!! it's everywhere!

when you find out that it's the reason that the capogiro gelato is so freaking good, just don't tell me, OK?

Foie Gras is Soylent Green!!! It's everywhere! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! :raz:

The reason the Capogiro Gelato is so good is because it's made with love by people who really care about the ingredients and have no shame about charging for them :wub:

i didn't taste the foie gras. perhaps i should revisit. i do love a good burger. but i have kinda specific preferences.

Much as I'm fond of Foie Gras (despite Phil A. Dining's vocal aversion to it), I don't think I'd want to actually taste it in the burger. It just adds a bit of richness and je ne sais quoi to the burgers. Still taste like good beef, not livery. But it's wicked juicy and one of the city's best burgers along with Rouge burgers, London Grill burgers on English Muffins and Dark Horse/Black Sheep burgers. Those are all the best ones I can think of. I understand Capital Grill makes a mean burger too, but I haven't had one personally. You should report back as to which ones suit your preferences since you didn't really say what those stringent requirements were.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

No one has mentioned the Godd Dog Salad which is in my opinion the greatest big salad ever...it is a total girly salad HUGE chopped arugula, romaine & endive with cranberries, goat cheese, almonds,& grilled chicken with vanilla vinaigrette..I love it ...I crave and I feel virtuous getting all that roughage.

have had the good dog foie gras burger wasn't blown away but it was better than the multidollar montrosity I had at some steak place last year in Manayunk (foie gras & kobe beff over salted and wierd), also I mildly put off by the blueberry muffin mac & cheese combo, but I love the big salad in fact may go get a big salad right now!!!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

ok i don't wanna get all burger-clubby on this, but what i like in a burger is a couple of things:

1. a good amount of char on the outside. i don't mean like burned, i mean like on a steak.

2. a contrast between that and the inside

3. i used to care about the bun, thinking that only a decent toasted kaiser or onion roll would hold up well to the meat. but lately i've come to appreciate a brioche roll too, even if it is weaker. i don't like london's english muffins that much.

also i like blue cheese and bacon on burgers. and caramelized onions. and i don't like tomato. oh also they're one of the only things in the world that i'll eat ketchup on, although even that needs to be adulterated with hot sauce, and can be left off entirely.

my favorites are still black sheep/dark horse, with good dog and ten stone a close second. rouge i haven't had in a couple of years, and need to revisit. i used to enjoy the burgers at tangiers too, but again haven't had recently. i also haven't had capital grill--i should make a little trip down there during happy hour one of these days and score one for cheap.

i also haven't had capital grill--i should make a little trip down there during happy hour one of these days and score one for cheap.

Yea, one of these days I have to pop in at one of these happy hour things around town.

I hear both Capital and Morton's have good munchies.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 months later...

I miss Good Dog...I should go back sometime soon. I don't think I actually ever had a bad meal there -- the muffaletta, which doesn't seem to be on the menu anymore, was flavor-packed (if not exactly authentic) and even though I don't really like sweet potatoes, I liked the mix of sweet and regular fries.

Also, I feel like I should defend their salads :smile: I rather enjoy that calamari salad -- it's a nice mix of fennel, orange slices and squid, with a really interesting "orange vinagrette infused with sun dried tomatoes and dill" -- I don't remember if orange, tomatoes and dill were the flavors that came through, but it was gooood. Much better than any of the dreck served at Marathon Grill. I like the girly salad aliwaks mentioned, too. Vanilla vinagrette. YUM.

Need to try this roquefort-stuffed burger.