• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Trip to Paris - Merged topics

Girl415

Sunday - L'Atelier de Joel Rubuchon (Crazy for a group of 4, but we want to go anyway)

I think you'll have a great time as a group of four. The ideal configuration would be two and two around one of the corners of the bar rather than 4 in a row and that may well be possible on a Sunday. Whatever, my guess is that you will enjoy it and that it will provide a nice contrast to your other meals, its a very different style of dining.

Monday - La Regalade

Sounds like you have everything under control, but just in case, I was told last week that there is a three week lead time for a table at La Regalade so you would need to book straight away if that is true.

As Girl415 has mentioned the concierge at her hotel, my guess is that she's already passed her choices on to him and that, perhaps he's already confirmed the reservations. I believe Robuchon only takes reservations for the first seating which is quite early in the evening. Actually in terms of dinner time in Paris, it's more like late afternoon. So have a very light lunch.

I don't know if you have a sweet tooth, but there are a number of incredible pastry shops in Paris. One shop with exquisite modern pastries is quite near your hotel--Aoki Sadaharu, 35 rue Vaugirard--a few very short blocks east of the metro St. Placide. You're not far away from Pierre Hermé on Bonaparte just off the place St. Sulpice either. Unfortunately neither shop has a salon du thé and you'll have to take it away and eat whatever you buy in your room, or in the park.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

We have confirmed reservations at all of the restaurants except for for L'Atelier de Joel Rubuchon where we plan on waiting for a table.

I appreciate the pastry suggestions as I have a vicious sweet tooth. I was already planning on visitng Fauchon, La maison du Chocolat, Fouquet, Hediard, Richart, Laduree and Pierre Herme (I am a macaroon adict). Also L'Ipicerie (for mustands and jams) and Maison de la Truffe (as I dream of truffles).

I also hope to stop at Dehillerin, A Simon and Laguiole. Seems to be a food and cooking themed trip...

Are there any other food related spots that I should not miss??

If so, let me add Hévin for something chocolate, perhaps one of his chocolate macarons. Several locations. 3 rue Vavin is in the 6th Arr.

At Hermé, try a salt butter caramel macaron and perhaps one the more creative ones like the Isphahan. His chocolate should not be overlooked.

La Grande Epicerie (Yahoo Travel mispells "epicerie" as "ipicerie") on the ground floor of Le Bon Marché department store is a great gastronomic stop. Several members also recommend the snack or dessert bar there.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

We have confirmed reservations at all of the restaurants except for for L'Atelier de Joel Rubuchon where we plan on waiting for a table.

Don't know what its like on a Sunday, but I was seated immeadiately (as one half of a party of 2) at 6.45pm last Wednesday evening. There was no queue during the 2 and 3/4 hours we were there, although the room was consistantly busy.

Monday - La Regalade

In the thread on Régalade, John Talbott just posted the news that Yves Camdeborde will be leaving la Régalade at the beginning of May. His replacement seems like a reasonable choice to continue the tradition, but in a way, this will be the end of an era. I suspect reservations for the next month will be even tougher than ever as people jump for the last chance to eat Camdeborde's food at La Régalade. I don't know if there will be any effect on service, but I suspect Camdeborde will want to go out at his best. I expect the food will be excellent till the end. I think this is a particularly fortuitous reservation.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 2 months later...

Saturday, July 13 is our daughter's 17th birthday. After dinner we're going dancing at a Latin club near Place de la Republique. We leave Paris early the next morning, so we need a 7:30 dinner reservation.

Our daughter is mature, and enjoys both bistros and brasseries. She'd like somewhere lively, with a clientele of mixed ages. For her, heaven would be great agneau on a plate, and happy laughter throughout the room.

For now, we have a 7:30 reservation at Moulin a Vent. That surely fits the bill for the agneau, but it won't be lively that early.

What do you suggest for lively ambience and a great meal, that early in the evening? (We'd win the trifecta, if the room's also not too smokey!)

Has anyone tried Cave Gourmande in the 19th?

Thanks!

I think you should sacrifice an hour's sleep or cabaret time and have dinner at 8:30. The only people in a Parisian restaurant at 7:30 will be Americans.

Since you can easily get to Republique on the Metro from anywhere, I have a suggestion for a nice place with a wonderful look and feel: Le Petit Zinc, in the 6th. Its facade is so quintessentially Parisian that it is on many art posters. You'll probably recognize it.

Mark

OK, it's sleep deprivation for the driver (me) on Sunday morning. Let me rephrase, then, the original question: By 8:30 pm, where can we match good food with a festive atmosphere?

It's kind of corny and the food's not spectacular but there's always Bel Canto (two locations; 72 quai de l'Hotel de Ville in the 4th and 88 rue de la Tombe-Issoire in the 14th.) Young music students qua waitpeople break out into song all the time. It fulfills the "laughter part" and probably the agneau.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 year later...

We'll be in Paris again the second week of November, celebrating my birthday, from the States, and our friend's birthday, from Paris. She lives near the Place D'Italie. They'll be 6 of us; we would like a bistro.

While we normally stay near the Place D'Italie, or sometimes in the Marais, this time four of us are staying in the 6th near Polaine.

The section of town doesn't actually matter, we'll travel within the Peripherique.

- But, every time we take our Parisian friend out, she tells us its touristy!

What local, non touristy place, not too high end, can you recommend?

We have been to La Regalade, Temps Des Cerises, and lots of other places, but would love your recommendations...

Philly Francophiles

- But, every time we take our Parisian friend out, she tells us its touristy!

What local, non touristy place, not too high end, can you recommend?

I know you pay great attention to this forum so you know all the favorites of the frequent posters. But your query cannot be searched for easily.

I assume you're talking about eating at dinner-time, which precludes most bistrots mentioned in the guidebooks or often on eGullet, which "tourists" have discovered. So that means someplace pretty new, unballyhooed and in a quartier Americans shun.

My first thought is Guifeli, second is Goupil le bistrot, and third Les Dons Juan all of which I've reviewed and to my knowledge are still undiscovered by those pesky tourists. Just looking at the traffic on eGullet generated by places like Le Comptoir + l'Ami Louis will tell you that your friend would find them much too "touristy."

Good luck and bonne anniversaire!

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

Merci from both of you!

We were also thinking of trying Camemborde's place for lunch, with a back-up plan, since dinner reservations are slim.

Thank you again!

Just a caution, its location and clientele may make your friend respond "too touristy."

John Talbott

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been done and I've read a mountain of threads but here we go again!!

I'll be celebrating my 36th birthday in Paris this year with my husband and one of my best friends. My husband has GENEROUSLY offered to treat us to dinner, where ever I want to go! Wahhhhoooooo!!!!

I'm thinking (based on posts I've read here) of L'Astrance, Le Grand Vefour or Le Meurice. I'm obviously a fan of restaurants which are THE :wink:

Here's what I like, I loved Taillevent (and I don't consider myself wet behind the ears), I didn't have such a great time at l'Ateiler Joel Robuchon, I took my mom once to Jules Verne because it was a once in Paris trip for her.....

In the states I think French Laundry is very good but it could be more fun. WD-50 was a bit too 'challenging'. Babbo is my favorite (even though it's Italian and my favorite food is french)

I love Arzak, but don't know if my friend would........

I like tasting menus :shock:

So I want something that is more traditional cuisine with a hint of flare, not too stodgy and not over the top romantic......and most of all a good value of cuisine and service for the money.

So do you have opinions on my choices based on all that? Have I missed a restaurant or 2 all together that I should be considering?

Birthday is next month so I gotta start begging for reservations soon. Thanks!!!

L'Astrance is more like Arzak than WD-50. That was my best meal in Paris. I haven't been to eiher of the others, but based on Molto E's incredible, but unfortunately now lost photos, I would have to suggest that you consider Le Bristol as one of your possibilities.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Oh I am so happy you both chimed in, thank you!!

I looked at the Bristo site (after all it is a THE!) but I couldn't get a good idea of the tasting menu....... is it really only 75 E for the seasonal menu??? that can't be can it???

John, your review of L'Astrance looks soooo up my ally. What do you think of the space. Can I giggle because I've had a bit too much wine without getting the cold shoulder??

Also I'm editing my post to change

I'll be celebrating my 36th birthday

to I'll be celebrating my 37th birthday..... oh my god.... I can't believe I don't even know how old I am!!! and I posted that BEFORE cocktail hour. :angry::angry:

Edited by little ms foodie (log)