• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What your comfort foods say about you

I am quoting a summary of this info, as I have not been able to find the original information.

What your favorite comfort foods say about you, according to research by nutritional scientists at the University of Illinois:

Mashed potatoes: you find happiness caring for your loved ones. You are the family cheerleader, proudly displaying your childrens' milestones. (Also, marketing studies show you're 65 percent less likely than the average American mom to use a microwave when preparing meals!)

Chicken noodle soup: you love to relax, don't sweat the small stuff. Though this dish is associated with nursing yourself back to health, your low-stress attitude means you are less likely to get sick than most!

Ice cream: you're active, fun-loving, extroverted, open to new experiences and will make new friends all through your life.

Freshly-baked bread: you're happiest helping others. Can pick up on non-verbal signals that indicate when someone is in need and are every child's favorite adult.

Meatloaf: you're a traditionalist. You're a master at teamwork and prefer the tried-and-true over what's flashy and new.

Comments? If someone knows how to find the actual study, please post a link or let me know.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and fresh-baked bread are my favorites, all right, and it sure makes me sound dull!

I think I need to get in touch with my inner bitch and throw some raw meat her way!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

http://www.dailyillini.com/dec00/dec08/new...er/news01.shtml

This is from my alma mater, the U of I, and does make a correlation between various soups which have a comfort factor involved .. see what you think ... it is, at least, related to the topic ... :rolleyes:

an excerpt I find interesting:

"Wansink said that men like warm comfort foods while women prefer cold comfort foods. Ice cream topped the lists of both men and women, but the next three for women included chocolate, chips and cookies, while men had meat, pasta, pizza and soup as the next choices on their list."

Then there is this:

http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit01142002/fitness.asp

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

an excerpt I find interesting:

"Wansink said that men like warm comfort foods while women prefer cold comfort foods"

Oh, no! I'm a MAN! :shock::shock::shock:

Me too! :hmmm:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Studies also indicate that mac-and-cheese gals are nymphomaniacs, speedreaders, have perfect pitch, can knit blindfolded, and know all the words to the theme song from "Mannix." Oh yeah, and we're fabulous cooks.  :shock:

There's also a variant on this phenomenon which substitutes "Spiderman" (the TV show, of course, not the movie) for "Mannix."

---

lg

does whatever a spider can

It's larb for me. I just wonder what that says.

I think it says something I was thinking too: not only that I am apparently a man, but that the study seems to be based on a somewhat limited range of comfort foods - especially for this crowd!

Arrrrrgh!

I guess an agri-econo-consumerist has an excuse for defining "personality" in such a superficial and limited way. And not even being very clear about behavior...or food or drawing conclusions from data. Men prefer hot comfort food, and that's why ice cream was their first choice?

Let's see if he can get this published in a journal or if press release is it.

Arrrrrgh!

I guess an agri-econo-consumerist has an excuse for defining "personality" in such a superficial and limited way.

There there - goodness, no reason to get so upset. It's a perfectly fine study for a superficial and limited population. :wacko:

Cold Comfort food? HA! Women may not want that, but sometimes that's all we can get!

Hmmm.....

Reminds me, have any of you seen the movie, Cold Comfort Farm? It's a favorite of mine.

But I digress....

Toast with butter and honey. Or with butter and marmite. And the toast has to be warm.

That hot and cold theory sounds too goofy to be true.

Cold Comfort food?

I tasted something nasty in the woodshed!

I was thinking the same thing!!! Great minds think alike :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Cold Comfort food?

I tasted something nasty in the woodshed!

I was thinking the same thing!!! Great minds think alike :laugh:

Haw! Ditto (or is it thritto?)! :wacko:

Haven't seen the movie - was afraid to because I'm fond of the book. Same with I Capture the Castle. Don't know what kind of personality that makes me, or how it combines with my yearnings for hot and sour soup, or buttered noodles, or moules mariniere, or bacon sandwiches on buttered rye toast, or sour cream and radishes, or (maybe most comforting of all) cold cotletkis. Cold! Oh no, don't tell me I'm starting to conform to a stereotype at this late date! oh dear, now I'm really getting all muddled. Maybe I'd better head back to the woodshed.

I like Filipino comfort food: pakbet (stewed vegetables), sinigang (sour fish and vegetable soup), dinuguan (pork and offal stew with pig's blood, garlic and vinegar) and kare-kare (oxtail and vegetable stew in a peanut sauce).

Not sure what that translates to.

Soba

that sounds good SobaAddict70. :smile:

i have somewhat atypical "comfort" foods like kosher dill pickles, pretzels, rare sliced roast beef and prosciutto from the deli, baguette.

but also canned seafood chowder, taramosalata, toasted rye bread... i could go on :laugh:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen