• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Rec for French Restaurant

worm

You've named a type of restaurant I usually go out of my way to avoid. I think a view and a meal are two separate things. I wouldn't compromise one for the other, but if I had to choose, I opt for the food. An excellent view can usually be had for far less than the premium added to a mediocre dinner tab.

Furthermore, I'm not aware of any restaurant with good food that has a good view of the city. If you find one, there's no guaranty that as a first timer, you'll be near a window.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Restaurant Above, in the Times Square Hilton, has a "view".  it isn't panoramic, but it is on the 20th floor or so, and overlooks 42nd street looking north.  it's more of a view than you usually get, and i've heard reports that the food is decent.  they have a decent selection of wines as well, which is why i generally stop there.  might be worth considering, even if it's just for an after-dinner or before-dinner drink.

I'm not aware of any restaurant with good food that has a good view of the city. If you find one, there's no guaranty that as a first timer, you'll be near a window.

What about the River Cafe?

Michael aka "Pan"

A few tips on how to dine for $50 a head in NYC.

1.  Avoid all price fixed menus, which are almost always over budget.

2.  Share one starter and one dessert.  This really cuts down costs.

3.  Do not order wine by the glass, unless you know the price of the wine first.  Often, a glass of wine can cost $10.  In many good bistros, you can find a bottle for $20 or so.

If you are prepared to share, many very good restaurants will be within your price range as follows:

Starter: $10

Mains:  $40 ($20 each)

Dessert: $10

Wine: $20

Tax & Tip: $25

Total: $105

Many good bistros (E.g., Le Gigot, as mentioned above) would fit the bill here.  You should check out the menus before you go, unless you really like chicken.