• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Rec for French Restaurant

worm

I will be visiting NYC later this month and would like a recommendation for a nice French Restaurant. Looking for a nice atmosphere, but want to keep the price around $100 for the two of us. I say a place that looks nice called Bayards http://www.bayards.com/, and another called Daniels(but that looks a bit pricey)

Atmosphere is a major plus.

Thanks

I have heard great things about Les Halles on Park Ave in the  and 29th St. Keeping it to only $100 is tough. That rules out most of my favorite French spots. Daniel would be far far above $100 for dinner. It is one of the finest restaurants in the city, but would be over $300 (although worth every penny). If you are going to be in the theater district, there is a place called Pergola Des Artistes between Broadway and 8th Ave in the mid 40's (46th?). You can get away with under $100 there but it is quite crowded and noisy. The food was quite good and it may get less crowded after the theater starts.

Jeff Wilson

Sorry I am only 22 years old and all the nice restaurants that i go to are paid for by my parents:SMILE:  I'm looking for maybe something in the vicinity of $30 entrees, $12 appetizers and such. maybe we'll have a glass of wine or so,

but entree and apetizer under $50 for each person + tax&tip.

thanks

bayards atmosphere looks nice main_room.jpg

facade2.jpg

as jeff suggested, les halles would be a good choice and fit your budget.  however, be advised that it is a "bistro" more than an upscale french place.

it's basic rustic french fare executed nicely in a loud and hopping room.  the exec. chef, tony bourdain, is a celebrity, and an occasional contributor to egullet (when the subject is him   :wink: )

Bayard's is in a beautiful historic building, and although I haven't been since the new chef arrived, I am sure it would be fine.  What is key is the question about the price.  You have obviously been to their web-site, and they list their prices on the menu.  Many entrees are over thirty dollars.  If you order an appetizer and an entree for a total of fifty dollars, drink, say, two glasses of $12 wine, split a bottle of water, and pay tax and gratuity, you will soon find yourself over $100 per head.  Tempted by dessert, coffee?  Bayard's is really a $150 per head restaurant.  

If you give us some idea of what the realistic upper limit of your budget is, more appropriate recommendations may be possible.

I posted before I saw your second message and the other replies. Most of what I say below is irrelevant, except for the recommendation to browse the threads here, but I won't  delete the post.

At 22, I think it's reasonable enough not to be able to afford the top places in a city such as NY on your own. Even Bayard seems high priced.

How about the new range of brasserie/bistros? I'm thinking of Balthazar, Pastis and Artisanal. Blue Hill is a thought. What does Toqueville run? Eleven Madison Park may be in your budget.

--original message--

Daniel (no "s") will run you $82 per person for the standard three course meal. With NY tax and a minimal tip you're already at $100 per person without wine or coffee. This is New York, I don't think You'll find a "nice" French restaurant where two can eat for $100. Daniel Boulud's second restaurant Cafe Bolud will run at least $50-60 a person plus tax, tip and beverages. And his least formal db bistro is not much less. Daniel Boulud's web site.

By "nice" up above, I mean special occasion type of place, but even little neighborhood places can run that much without tax and tip.

I'm also going yo suggest that at the top of the line, there's very little difference between French and American restaurants in NYC. They're both serving cuisine that well founded in French technique, but neither are restricted to the kind of traditional French food seen in the fifties or sixties. Nor, for that matter, are the restaurants in Paris.

Browse through this board and you will find many recommendations. I'm almost reluctant to mention my favorites as it's already hard enough to get a table at the better ones. But,

Blue Hill is a real personal favorite up with Daniel and Cafe Boulud, but down a small notch in price and a little more casual in it's Washington Square location. Eleven Madison Park may be a little less expensive. At any rate they have some great wine buys at the low end which always helps. Gramercy Tavern is going to on almost everyone's short list of recommendations, but more expensive. The bar, or tavern, at Gramercy Tavern is a great buy, but doesn't take reservations. It's not, however, a substitute for the main dining room. The food as well as atmosphere is different. I'm just repeating what we've said frequently here. Check out the other threads.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Wow things sure do add up fast :wink: . i am looking into all your suggestions.  i was suggested Cite restaurant by someone because it is less expensive, but i cant find any pictures of it. anybody have experience with it. thanks.

cite is reasonably priced.  however, it's not a very, um, exciting place.  i'd go with a neighborhood french bistro before i'd go to cite, if i were looking for french specifically.  cite, to me, is a steakhouse.  they do, however, have a prix fixe of 65 bucks for dinner and all the wine you can drink.  one of the best deals in NYC.  this applies to dinners after 8 pm.  

here is their website

Here's the web-site:

http://www.citerestaurant.com/

Despite the name, Cite, and the marginally cheaper Cite Grill next door, are really steak-houses rather than French restaurants.  Steak, lobster, salmon, crab-cakes, fries, etc.  I would say they are okay rather than great.  The wine dinner at Cite is a good deal if you want to drink a lot of wine - $59.50, for which you get a full meal, and they will pour sparkling wine, a white and two reds pretty generously for free - and given that it's free, the wine's not bad.  But then, you will pay extra for vegetables, water, tax, tip and so on.  I'm sorry, but this is an expensive city.  As I was implying, if you're real upper limit is about $100 for the whole meal, everything included, please say, because the recommendations would be very different.

maybe i should clarify. I was thinking about $100 for the food alone (apetizers included). Any wine or other drinks tax + tip would be added to the $100 for the food. I am not a huge wine drinker so i will probably only have one glass. So basically maybe $150-$170 out the door :smile:

These guys are are really pushing the limits of your budget. Here are a couple places we've been to more than once and enjoyed, both more "bistro" than "fine French":

Chez Josephine, 414 West 42nd St, 212.594.1925. Jean-Claude Baker's tribute to his mother, Josephine Baker. Always a lively crowd, live piano music, delicious food.

La Bonne Soupe, 48 West 55th St, (212) 586-7650. Friendly service, limited menu, but yummy fondue and steak frites.

Okay, along bistro lines, I like Le Gigot in Greenwich Village - small, friendly, regularly changing specials.  Indded, very small, so reserve early.  La Petite Auberge in Gramercy Park is a traditional place - onion soup, duck with orange sauce, etc - but solid enough.  You should certainly be able to stay within budget at those places.  I endorse Chez Josephine too (especially in the unlikely event you have a craving for blood sausage).

To save my sore fingers, you can find addresses and phone numbers at www.zagat.com.

I have currently found two nice places that seem to be reasonably priced (not exactly french)

1)The Place

2) Top of the Tower

any opinions on these. thanks

you're killing me!

ToT.  nice view.  not so nice food!  old-school eighties horrible decor too.  yuck.

the Place sounds like something more reasonable, though i've never been.

The Place?  Top of the Tower?  is that what's getting high marks over at new york.citysearch.com?  what's citysearch.com like anyway, I haven't been yet?

I'm going to wait until we start discussing nice places that aren't French, aren't bistros, don't have yucky decor--what's that leave, Craft Bar?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

actually top of the tower didnt get so high remarks, but the atmosphere looks very nice.45.jpg

The place looks nice as well, but you cant beat the view of top of the tower overlooking the city, although many people commented that the food was sub-par.

Klc, how important is it for you to say that twice?  :biggrin:

Good point though. One of the first things I caught was "nice" restaurant. I don't know why but I felt there was some emphasis on a certain type of place and it had to do with ambience. I think Blue Hill might just make your budget. It's a very handsome place in my opinion, but it's decor is simple and unvarnished. It's meant to be a simple place, but the food can be sensational.

I think Eleven Madison Park reaches a bit less in the food department and is no really better designed, but it's a much more impressive space. Very high celings. Bright crisp neo art deco design. A more extensive menu, with more traditional French inspired dishes. Excellent food, just not quite as inspired as Blue Hill. Both of these may push your limits however.

I can't help much with places where the decor is actually better than the food.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

thanks everyone for the great help for a Californian. I think I want the setting to be very good, possibly on the top of a hotel overlooking the city..The food is somewhat important, but as long as it is pretty good, then thats okay.  I only have one day in New York City and I want to take someone out where the setting will be very nice.

you guys have given me some good info to work on.

if you have anything more to add, it would be welcomed,possibly suggestions for top floor restaurants with a view of the city :smile:

thanks