• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York eGullet bar crawl

Wilfrid

I would have liked to attend as the 22nd is my birthday, but alas I'm scheduled to hit the city on the 23rd to see The Bears in concert at the Mercury Lounge...    

Sigh...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I leave you people alone for a little while, and return to THIS!?

Alright, now I just might have to show up and set this panel to rights.

Hey Rachel, should I tell my secret to this group or what? Or as Olivier said to Hoffman, "Is it safe?" ;)

Let's just summarize where we are as the sun begins to set:

Kettle of Fish, 8pm Friday night, February 22.

Current definites:

Yvonne and her Lurker

Macrosan (although he did say Thursday, February 22, which I am hoping was a meaningless error)

Myself

Yes, but with various escape clauses attached:

Liza

Probably not, even at 6 o'clock:

Mr and Mrs Tommy.

Playing cards close to chests:

Everyone else.

Is there any chance people could check in yesterday and say if they are still planning to come?  It is not too late, of course, to change the date in the hope of a bigger turn out.  Of course, you've got the quality already.

I think the Kettle of Fish, Friday night, February 22 is a magnificant idea, and those who do not..well...need to sumbmit their DNA to the Genome Project for analysis, because they are obviously lacking that "let's go down the pub gene".

Me and Lurker will be there. I did have one suggestion though and that's to maybe go for the earlier time--6.30ish so that mr and mrs tommy can attend if they are able. But here endeth the concessions. We pub crawlers have backbones and are resolute.

As for the site crashing, I was thinking same. It's gone all dark in here. Maybe in an emergency we should meet on the NYTimes Dining Out Forum--ho,ho

http://forums.nytimes.com/webin/WebX?13@@.f065b05

I'll messenger my cell phone to all who say they are attending.

Macrosan (although he did say Thursday, February 22, which I am hoping was a meaningless error)

Meaningless error ? Who, meeeee ???? Nope, this error was riddled with meaning. It means my last brain cell, which I had been carefully preserving for 11 years, has finally given out.

As it happens, I now can make 6.30 on Friday 22 as a I have just had my afternoon appointment changed. Yvonne, I claim my prize of your cellphone number, which I then assume is also tattooed across your forehead so I can recognize you  :)

"Is there any chance people could check in yesterday and say if they are still planning to come?  "

Jeez, Wilfrid, I thought you were working on the space-time continuum, but alright, I'll do my best.  :)

Count me as a strong-nearly-definite yes, as I don't want to be thought of as lacking the "let's go down to the pub" gene.

Thank you, team.

My only remaining question is this:  If Tommy is definitely not coming, can we make it a bit later than 6.30?  I mean, 8 o'clock was just a random choice.  Or by all means stick to 6.30, but without the Tommy-incentive, I'll probably get there around 7.00.

By the way, what does it mean that around eighty per cent of the people coming are Brits?  Are we just better organised, or are the Americans avoiding us?

By the way, what does it mean that around eighty per cent of the people coming are Brits?  Are we just better organised, or are the Americans avoiding us?

close.  but the real answer is that you're a bunch of drunks.

to make it easy on everyone, i'll state now that i won't be coming (although i might show anyway, since mrs. tommy almost gave us the go-ahead).  not going, of course, won't stop me from posting nonsense to this thread.  ;)

I thought I posted this mea culpa earlier, but I can't see it now.  Anyway, I meant to confess that the reason I was trying to organise everyone was that I spent quite some time yesterday thinking that today was the 22nd and we were meeting tonight.  I think that explains some of my posts.  Total idiocy.  And if I have now posted this message twice, sorry again.

It could've been worse. Sitting by yourself wondering where the hell everyone else was. What a kettle of fish that would have been.

I blame the site myself. I'm not good with numbers in the first place, but the eGulllet calendar and clock muddle me crazy. Today is yesterday, and tonight is last night, tomorrow is two days hence.

Are we still on? Are we wearing floppy hats or carrying sunflowers to identify eachother? How about when we greet eachother, we all perform the typical "shocked" movie reaction: drop a glass on a hardwood floor. Wouldn't that be great? "Yvonne, this is Liza" (CRASH!) "Liza, this is Wilfrid" (CRASH) etc etc

I am still on for wearing my new beret, just as long the missus doesn't confiscate it first.  If we are going to go for the glass smashing, we'd probably better figure out where we're drinking after the Kettle of Fish.

I did come up with some ideas last week, in fact, in my eagerness, but now I've lost the scrap of paper.

We've got a good group going. Six to ten people, by my count: B Edulis, Liza, macrosan, Wilfrid, me and Lurker. Maybes: mr & mrs tommy and stefanyb & partner.

If we're going to go with berets (and I see stefanyb's sartorial preference extends to them too), I will also wear one. Black of course, with a Lenin badge pinned to it.

Wilfrid, have you found that piece of paper on our route? Do you think it would be a good idea for us go in direction of East Village?

What about we settle for 7PM?

On Friday 22 --Note everyone, the egullet sense of time is still out of whack. Today is 20 Feb but here it says 19th.

At Kettle of Fish, 59 Christopher St, 212/414-2278.

ooo, ooo, 7 pm increases my chances of stopping in for a few.  

it sounds like you guys are planning of making a night of it.  my initial thought was more of a "meeting up for a few," rather than a full blown session.  you gotta respect people who are in it for the duration. :biggrin:

Drat, I have no beret (though I do have bananas). So B Edulis and I shall look for a group of beret wearers. Hopefully the annual Beret Wearers of New York, downtown chapter, won't be meeting at the same place.  :smile:

I did find my piece of paper and will attempt to transcribe it when I get a moment later.  The East Village would be a long walk from Christopher Street; it would make more sense to drink around the Village/West Village.

7pm sounds like a sensible compromise on the time.