• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York eGullet bar crawl

Wilfrid

Okay, in order not to keep up with different threads on different Boards, I thought I'd start one for this as it now seems to taking on the inevitability I associate with all alcohol-related recreations.

So far:  I hope a consensus was building for avoiding Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

One proposal was week commencing March 18, which would give us time to make a complicated plan.  Possibly start in the Monkey's Paw or whatever it's now called, and hit some other places in the Village.

Another option was forget the complicated plan and just pick a day this week.

This morning, I was tending toward the former, but as the day wears on and I get thirstier, the latter has more appeal.

So, anybody out there???  This is the closest emoticon I can find for "thirsty"   :sad:

My only objection to Fridays is that if we go anywhere at all appealing, we may not be able to move or hear each other.  Of course, I know some unappealing places where that will be no problem.   But I can be (all too easily) persuaded.

You mean I could've come home and learned you'd all gone out without yours truly  :angry:

What about Thursday or Friday this week then?

Generally, till mid-March, Mon,Tues and Weds are not that good for me.

I'm happy to go anywhere that's suggested and would quite like a clearly (even vaguely) delineated crawl.

Friday 22 seems to suit four of us.  I'll bring my hearing trumpet.  Doesn't preclude doing something different/more elaborate in March.

I was going to suggest the Lion's Head/Monkey's Paw, but when I called the number just now to find out it's latest name, I was greeted by a voicemail welcoming me to Smart Dick's (or Dicks, who knows?).  I think I would like more information before making that our base.  Perhaps someone could suggest somewhere else in the area just as a kicking off point?  And I would hazard that 8.00 might be a good time?

OK, Wilfrid, so Friday 22 Feb it is.

Big note: We'd better not arrange this pub session using the board's calendar or dates. Unless I'm living in a different century my last post was written last night, the 11th Feb. For me, today is the 12th.

I did some detective work on way home.  Lion’s Head/Monkey’s Paw is now “Kettle of Fish”, 59 Christopher St, 212/414-2278. (That’s funny, a coule of days ago I phoned the tel # listed in our old Zicklin’s Bar Guide for Lion’s Head and got the home # for someone). Anyway, very importantly, Kettle of Fish has dart boards and I love darts. I’m bringing my own Thurston darts to this event incase there are any others willing to play. (Go on, humor me.) Haven’t played in a few years, but let we warn you that at a pivotal stage of a match, I got a bull’s eye on my last throw to win a big prize (I think it amounted to free pork pies all round—nevertheless, it was the skill involved)for my Newham team, in the NALGO (National Assoc of Local Government Officers) South London final.

So how many so far? Macrosan,g.johnson (lurker, my other half. He did register with egullet at some point, so we’ll let him join in), Tommy (?), Wilfrid, myself. So who else is coming? 8PM sounds good at the Kettle of Fish (known in Village still as the Lion’s Head). I think the Kettle of Fish would be a good starting off point.

Thursday 22 at 8pm. Just post the address, and I'll be there. If no-one else turns up, I'll still be there. If the place gets raided before you arrive, I'll be the one waiting to be bailed at the 27th Precinct station. Just tell me if I should eat first  :biggrin:

OK.  The Kettle of Fish at 57 Christopher Street between Waverley Place and 7th Avenue.  It's down a short flight of stairs.  I now recall that I did know it had become the Kettle of Fish - and there's a story to that I'll save for Friday.  I shall enquire no further into the Smart Dicks phone message.

I will not be eating first, because I find that a full stomach impairs my alcohol intake.  Are we thinking of eating later or does that get too complex?

OK, Wilfrid, so Friday 22 Feb it is.

Anyway, very importantly, Kettle of Fish has dart boards and I love darts. I’m bringing my own Thurston darts to this event incase there are any others willing to play. (Go on, humor me.)

i'll bring me arrows for sure!

actually, don't know if i can make that friday night.  we see.

Just to clarify Kettle of Fish is at 59 Christopher St (not 57 as Wilfrid says.......philosophers, what can I say? I can't complain, he got this going for sure) bewteen 7th Ave & Greenwich Ave.

Oh, great. Arrows. Now, as for eating beforehand, macrosan, I never do immediately before a crawl. I may have a sandwich for lunch, but it's UK custom to go 'uneaten' (as per Nancy Reagan, "just say no!" http://home2.planetinternet.be/verjans....gan.htm

oh dear

) on these things, at least to start. I hate the bloated feeling of big meal then pub. There is a half-way measure that Poles use. Down a couple of tablespoons of oil before a crawl if one is completely empty. I learned this trick from a Polish psycho-analyst. Best advice she gave me. (if you are under 18, get back to bed, and no you can't sue me.)

Back to food.  Why not include in the plan a food joint? Depending on numbers: Corner Bistro/Viceroy/Molly's? Just in case the need for solid  food is called for?

Wilfrid: Are you happy working on the ports of call?

Back to food.  Why not include in the plan a food joint? Depending on numbers: Corner Bistro/Viceroy/Molly's? Just in case the need for solid  food is called for?

i will probably eat a bit beforehand.  otherwise, i get light-headed and my body gives out.  i'm pretty sure no one wants to see that.

food during the evening is probably a good idea, especially if the session goes on for a while.  the corner bistro, i'd imagine, will have a huge wait.  at least it always did when i tried getting in.  i'll try to give some thought to someplace good, but not overly popular (something like a los dos rancheros, which is cheap too, but closer to our likely destination).

then again, i probably won't be going anyway!  damn!

I'll think about bars.  I may not post much today or tomorrow as I am trapped by "real life", but I will be cogitating meantimes.

Also have to finish my Barcelona "assignment" for Bux.

The address:  I just checked Shecky's guide, and they have 57.  I'm sure you're right, though, Yvonne, and also about the Angelic Upstarts (please put the knife down).  Anyway, we have narrowed it down.  If anyone finds themselves in a fairly grubby bar on the same street with a live blues band setting up, you're probably in number 55 and therefore in the wrong place.

If anyone finds themselves in a fairly grubby bar on the same street with a live blues band setting up, you're probably in number 55 and therefore in the wrong place.

That'll be me then. I usually finish up in the wrong place. But I usually enjoy myself anyway.

If nevertheless an accident occurs, and I do on this occasion finish up in the right place, how will I know if I can't recognize any of you guys that I'm there to meet ? I don't think red carnations in my buttonhole will go down well in the East Village. Come to think of it, they might not do me any favors in the West Village.

I was hoping someone would ask that, as I have been toying with all sorts of silly ideas, such as printing out a page from the site and making a cut-out badge of the Wobbly Egullet Man.  The Kettle of Fish is fairly small, and I have a feeling we'll detect each other.  Yvonne and I will probably sound a bit Scottish and English, respectively.  I am prepared to wear a splendidly over-the-top beret which I bought in Spain last week.  I am also currently sporting a small, jazz-giant-like, lower lip goatee.  Now, a beret and a goatee are not going to uniquely identify me in Greenwich Village, but it's a start.

Anyone else prepared to reveal distinctive aspects of their physiognomy?

I just noticed Tommy might not make it.  If the numbers get too small, we can always pick another date.  I guess we should see how it goes over the next day or two.

I just noticed Tommy might not make it.  If the numbers get too small, we can always pick another date.  I guess we should see how it goes over the next day or two.

i would love to go, and could normally make it any night.  however, mrs. tommy is away next week, returning thursday.  on saturday i have a social engagement sans-mrs. tommy.  so friday is our only night for the whole week.

so you see, it's just that, i'm whipped. ;)

if it kicked off at like 6 or something, you know, right after work, we could both come by for a while.  but that 8 o'rock jazz is just pushing it for us jersey folk.  but, don't go changin on account of me.  i'm just sayin' is all.

I'm not used to this. Usually, when I try to make plans with anyone in NYC, the dates are batted around a bit and then we all go to a mediator for help. Settling on the 22nd so easily is so, well, civilized.  :0

I will say yes now, but due to job weirdisms, might have to renege. . . apologies in advance.

I knew it! Now it’s plain to me the inefficient United Nations could’ve organized a conference for 365 nations in the time we’re taking.

To include Mr and Mrs Tommy, can we kick off earlier then, around 6PM on Feb 22?  Good, Liza, it would be nice to meet you if you can make it. I predict Macrosan will say 6PM is too early!

What do in this city for a decent pub session? You have a mental break down settling on a date. No much wonder the psychotherapy business is so big here.

As for appearances, my other half Glyn (name is Welsh but he’s English) is 6ft tall, and is, er, sturdy, and grey. I will be wearing a black hat (along with my long black cloak and dagger).

i never heard of a kettle of fish until a few days ago on this thread.  

but last night, i'm talking to a friend about the brilliance of Pet Sounds, and it comes up that a kettle of fish is the first place he had ever heard it, when he was about 12 yrs old.  i found it a strange coincidence.  of course, as these things usually work, i've probably heard "kettle of fish" a hundred times in my life, but never made any connection.

[/end boring anecdote]

I am keen to meet the Tommy's too.  Realistically I could make it by around 6.30.  And of course, we don't have to finish by 8.00! - although if we hate the bar we might want to move on.  We could kick it back to the following Friday if that makes it easier for everyone.

My prediction is that the site will crash some time Friday before we've made a final decision.

Lisa?  Macrosan?  What do you say?

seriously, don't go changing plans on account of me!  considering mrs. tommy's travel plans, it is not definite that we or even i will be able to join y'all even at 6.  the following friday mrs. tommy is out of town.  so, giving it some thought, i'd *definitely* make it for that one.  but i'd be alone, and as most will tell you, i'm not the draw in this relationship.  leave it be.  we're doing this again at some point, right?

and if one more person spells Liza's name wrong again, i'm *never* coming out to play. :angry:

Maybe she's just trying to send a message. :D

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.