• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Job Interview

itch22

It's been a while since I did such hiring, but the process probably hasn't changed that much. A few thoughts -

1. Before your interview, study the menu. Research the prep process so you can relate your skills to the process. If you don't have those skills, at least understand them.

2. If you can do so without coming off as fawning, let the owner see himself as your mentor. Tell him why, beyond contributing to, you want to learn from him and his restaurant.

3. Make it clear you understand the nature of the restaurant business - that you will be available on your day off, on call, for emergencies and will come early or stay late as needed.

4. Score points by suggesting Sweet Basil puts it address and phone number on the opening page of their web site :smile: Amazing how many places make you search that info out.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It's been a while since I've done it, but some things never change:

Be neat and clean!

Speak clearly!

Offer to be available for overtime, fill-in, and odd hour shifts.

Be neater and cleaner!

Be yourself, be upbeat, excited and enthusiastic.

I second that emotion. So often interviewees have seemed like they're hung over, depressed or half asleep.

Also, be on time, neat and clean and open to possibilities.

The "neat and clean" part can't be stressed enough, as far as I'm concerned. I once interviewed someone who had motor oil underneath this (bitten) nails. His clothes were dirty. His hair hadn't been cut in months, he hadn't shaved in a while, and the assistant manager interviewing the guy with me said later that she didn't think he had brushed his teeth!

I was really up front with him -- I told him why I wouldn't consider hiring him. I said it nicely, but I was also truthful. He re-applied three or four months later, came in dressed casually, but clean, well groomed, and we hired him. I didn't know it was the same guy! He didn't tell me until he'd gotten his first promotion.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Bring your own pen - preferably a nice one. This goes for ANY job interview, for ANY position, in ANY industry. If you're unprepared for the interview, filling out applications, taking tests or whatever, how can I expect you to be prepared on a daily basis? You'd be AMAZED at how many people come in for an interview or to fill out an application and the first question they have is, "Do you have a pen I could borrow?" :blink:

Think ahead about what the interview questions might be and have well thought out answers. For example - What was your favorite job in the past? Why? What was your least favorite? Why? What are your strengths? Your weaknesses? Do you work well and play with others?

Dress neatly and be well groomed. That means shaved, hair cut and in place or tied back, no skank under the fingernails, etc. If you don't care enough about yourself, how can I expect you to care about my business or my customers.

Be enthusiastic. Be humble without seeming like you have no pride or confidence. Be honest - bullshit ALWAYS catches up with you. Employers really do check references, whether professional or academic.

Good luck!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was really up front with him -- I told him why I wouldn't consider hiring him.  I said it nicely, but I was also truthful.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It is nice to get the truth and be honest, rather than giving the old brush off.

A great example of people changing when they know the problem.

So does guy still work with you? How is he doing?

Be on time. Or even a little early. Yeah, I know someone said that already, but remember that showing up is a huge part of any job. And if you are delayed (which you should make sure NOT to be), call them to let them know. That is greatly appreciated and goes a long way to reverse the negative of your being late.

Do not look anxious to get it over with and get out of there. Even if you are. Because this will make make them wonder if you'll be like that at work, too.

Keep breathing. Keep breathing. Keep breathing.

And on the "neat and clean" stuff: no jangly jewelry (sorry, I forget which gender you are); no strong perfume/after shave. If your hair is long, make sure you can demonstrate how you'll keep it out of the way.

Ask them if they know that "signatory" is not the same as "signature." NO, don't do that; you'll come off as a smart-ass. :raz: But why DO they say that on the menu on the website???

And on the "neat and clean" stuff: no jangly jewelry (sorry, I forget which gender you are); no strong perfume/after shave.  If your hair is long, make sure you can demonstrate how you'll keep it out of the way.

No jewelry. Short hair. I am well-groomed, and I dress respectably. However, I do have a visible tattoo - a tiny red star on my hand. How does the restraunt indrusty look upon things such as tattoos? When I worked for city hall, no one cared. However, when I worked at a RADIO station my boss was very bothered by it. :hmmm:

EDIT: I guess it doesn't matter much because I can't remove it.

Ask them if they know that "signatory" is not the same as "signature." NO, don't do that; you'll come off as a smart-ass.  :raz:  But why DO they say that on the menu on the website???

:laugh:

Edited by itch22 (log)

-- Jason

I was really up front with him -- I told him why I wouldn't consider hiring him.  I said it nicely, but I was also truthful.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It is nice to get the truth and be honest, rather than giving the old brush off.

A great example of people changing when they know the problem.

So does guy still work with you? How is he doing?

Last I saw him was ten years ago when he left to spend a year staging in France. I hope he didn't come back -- he was the type to really love France -- I actually picture him after closing drinking a glass of wine at the bar, smoking Camels. He was a great guy. Oh -- and once, after a holiday party (held in January, of course) he actually wrote his name in the snow outside my apartment building. And his first name was Johnathon!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Bring your own pen - preferably a nice one. This goes for ANY job interview, for ANY position, in ANY industry.

Katie,

Your comment is well taken and reminds me of an interview for a waiter job I had at a prissy French place (years ago). The person interviewing me requested I give him back his gold Cross pen. I told him it was mine and he got very angry and rattled. I let him act out a bit and then asked him if his initials were also SLS as I flashed my pen in front him.

Bring your own pen - preferably a nice one. This goes for ANY job interview, for ANY position, in ANY industry.

Katie,

Your comment is well taken and reminds me of an interview for a waiter job I had at a prissy French place (years ago). The person interviewing me requested I give him back his gold Cross pen. I told him it was mine and he got very angry and rattled. I let him act out a bit and then asked him if his initials were also SLS as I flashed my pen in front him.

Chow Guy:

That's pretty funny! Smug bastard got his, didn't he? Guess you showed him! :laugh: And doesn't carrying that monogrammed pen say something about you and your level of seriousness and good taste that couldn't possibly come across on paper? No matter how well written your resume is, that kind of class really shines on the face to face.

Seriously, I made that comment in all sincerity. If you show up to fill out a job application without a writing implement of your own, what does that say about your general level of preparedness for day to day functioning?? Unless, of course you just sort of wandered in off the street to fill out an application. And what does THAT say about you??? :unsure: But still. I always immediately take points off for pen borrowing :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Does that mean I have to get my mont blanc pen engraved :blink:

As someone who has spent years hiring people and teaching people how to interview, the best advise I can offer is to know your stuff. If you don't do your homework, it will show very quickly - and the most expensive pen in the world won't save you :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Does that mean I have to get my mont blanc pen engraved :blink:

Marlene:

You already impressed the hell out of me by carrying the Montblanc in the first place. Monogram is optional and probably gilding the lily :biggrin:

As someone who has spent years hiring people and teaching people how to interview, the best advise I can offer is to know your stuff.  If you don't do your homework, it will show very quickly - and the most expensive pen in the world won't save you :biggrin:

Touche and point well taken.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

However, I do have a visible tattoo - a tiny red star on my hand. How does the restraunt indrusty look upon things such as tattoos?

I guess permanent are preferable over temporary. Nothing like "MOM" rubbing off on your salad. :laugh:

I appreciate the input, and having a pen IS important. However, how much money you spend on a pen speaks only for your pocket book. I had a Bic pen, reliable but cheap. If I could afford an expensive pen then I probaly wouldn't be in the market for a job. Class is based on character, not pens.

Also, if anyone is interested, I had my interview this morning. Out of about 100 or so resumes, he told me he interviewed only 4 people (me being number 3). It went very well and we got along. Joked a bit, talked shop, and I had him laughing a coupel of times. He said he'll call me Saturday to let me know what he has decided.

My job duties, if I get it, will include prepairing shellfish and produce, making salad, and plating desserts.

I never did end up using my pen though...

-- Jason

I'm a little late to this thread, but I want to say congratulations on your interview. It sounds like it went well, and even if it isn't a match between you and the position, there's a great deal of confidence in having a success under your belt to take to the next one.

I used to be a hiring manager in a computer company, and I personally hired over 40 people in my time there, and aided in hiring/was on the interview teams for several times that many filled positions, so I have some experience in talking to candidates. The advice I have is pretty general, but I've run it past friends in other industries, including food/restaurants, and they agreed it's pretty sound.

This is in addition to the usual advice to be neat, clean, courteous, etc.

1. Don't lie. Ever. There's a huge difference between presenting yourself in the best light and lying about your qualifications. There's no quicker way to lose the chance than lying, and you may be fired for it later (most places I've worked have a clause in the offer letter/employment agreement that states if you lied, you may be fired immediately). Just don't.

2. Don't be late. Leave in plenty of time, and add some time to that. The only acceptable excuses for being late are death, serious illness, or the kind of traffic pile up that makes the 6 o'clock news. "Traffic was bad" doesn't cut it. Plan for traffic being bad/public transportation being late/you getting lost/whatever. I believe this was one factor in my not being offered a job at one point - even though it was not my fault, it was still my responsibility to deal with it.

3. More important than just being prepared for the "usual questions", have concrete stories or incidents to back them up. Don't just say "I'm good at working with difficult people", go on to discuss a time when you solved a problem with a difficult person. It's the details and examples that will set you apart. (And always have a couple of your successes in past jobs fresh in your mind when you walk into an interview. They can be used as examples for many of the usual questions.)

4. Listen to the interviewer. I once asked a candidate to give me a very high level overview of a project he had worked on, and he started diagramming details on a white board. Worse, when I asked him to cut to the end, he told me to wait, because he wasn't done. Oh yes he was, he just didn't know it.

5. Ask questions. This is often the "make or break" part of the interview. It's the time when you get to show them that you are interested and that you were listening to the interviewer when they told you about the position. It's been my experience that you can train technical skills and particular methods, but you cannot teach initiative and enthusiasm.

And bringing this back around to food, one of my favorite parts of the interview process was always taking the candidate to lunch. Not just to see their reaction to the local eateries, but many seemed to think because it was more casual that it wasn't part of the process. Sometimes their conversation over lunch would help them, but a lot of times, let's just say it didn't.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog