• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reservations on Holidays at NJ restaurants

Lreda

I meant to mention earlier -- Lou, you confirmed reservations 7 days prior? I think that's way too far in advance. People who have multiple reservations still haven't made up their mind. Despicable as the practice of multiple reservations is, it's a fact of life. Not to mention a lot can happen in 7 days, like you break up with your lovey dovey or whatever. I think the ideal is to confirm the day of, though that's not always practical. A couple of places I had reservatiions at confirmed the day before AND the day of. Kind of bothersome, but I think it's a good idea.

Bux, Roz and others -- I forget the rationale why restaurants are considered different by credit card companies than hotels, airlines and the like, but there is some validity. Not that I agree with it. One argument goes that a restaurant doesn't lose anything if it ends up filling a table that was a no show. While I don't agree with that as there are other costs, administrative and the like, it's not as simple as that, but that's a whole other argument.

In my opinion, the only way this will ever get resolved is when the Jean-Georges of the restaurant world implement credit card guarantees and refuse to accept any credit card that will not honor a no show charge. A lesser known restaurant doesn't stand a chance of making this work by themselves. The industry needs to unite and fight this problem. Which will probably never happen.

I would offer the following.

Retail sales forecast for Vday show that men spend about $95 dollars and women spend about $60 on thier loved ones, in gifts. Restaurants may not be considered a retail operation, but they fit into the overall scheme.

Candy, flowers, cards and jewlry fit into the mix, leaving little room or money for eating out.

Sales Projection

Next year do the right thing, open for about 4 hours for dinner, and allow you and your staff some romp time. :laugh:

woodburner

Bux, Roz and others  -- I forget the rationale why restaurants are considered different by credit card companies than hotels, airlines and the like, but there is some validity.  Not that I agree with it.  One argument goes that a restaurant doesn't lose anything if it ends up filling a table that was a no show.  While I don't agree with that as there are other costs, administrative and the like, it's not as simple as that, but that's a whole other argument. 

In my opinion, the only way this will ever get resolved is when the Jean-Georges of the restaurant world implement credit card guarantees and refuse to accept any credit card that will not honor a no show charge.  A lesser known restaurant doesn't stand a chance of making this work by themselves.  The industry needs to unite and fight this problem.  Which will probably never happen.

Glenn, You've actually made my point. I don't think it's the credit card companies that are holding things back, but rather, the restaurant industry has to be the place where the change is made. If such a policy were instituted across the board, I'm sure the credit card companies wouldn't object.

As for the argument that a restaurant a table can be filled if there is a no show -- presumably by a walk-in? -- the same can be said for a hotel or motel. And what about resorts that have a two-weeks in advance cancellation policy in order to get a full refund? While there are some places that will give a refund if the room ends up being rented, most don't. So a resort could, theoretically, be receiving double payment for an accommodation if it were subsequently rented. And even those that give after-deadline refunds will keep, say, $50, as a "processing fee." We all accept these policies because the hotel industry has set them and operators adhere to them. So, in some respects, the restaurant industry has nobody to blame but itself for the problem with no shows. Of course, that doesn't make it right for people to just blow off a reservation. But unless restaurateurs band together to make the change, they will continue to be faced with this problem.

I met with the people of opentable recently and knew I wouldn't be able to set up in time for V-Day. I will call tomorrow to start up the system and should have it up and running within 6 weeks, just in time for Easter.

Starting with holidays and then weekends I believe I will start taking credit cards for reservavtions.

Anthony, yes I had 10 servers covering 39 tables. Based on each table staying 1hr 45 min which is more than adaquate. I was able to serve 104 tables between the main crunch which was 5:30 to 9:30.

I'd like to thank you all for your opinions on this topic as my blood pressure has finally dropped to a normal (for me) 130/95.