• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Each City's signature dish?

stephenc

ooh, just thought of some good ones for Greensboro/Winston Salem:

Moravian Sugar Cookies

and

Western-Style Carolina Pulled Pork

(Large Moravian settlement in Winston Salem going back many years; they are famous for their wafer thin sugar and spice cookies)

(NC pulled pork can really be separated into "East" and "West" versions. West has vinegar, tomato and spices; East has no tomato. So you could change Raleigh/Durham to "Eastern Style Carolina Pulled Pork)

If you have a non-coastal South Carolina town in there, Colombia?, could have South Carolina Pulled Pork (with mustard in the sauce)

The Eastern style is better. Of course I'm biased.

There's also Tennessee-style pork barbeque. Even Pennsylvania has its own strange style of pork barbeque, though I wouldn't wish the PA style on anyone.

PHILADELPHIA

I was going to reluctantly relent to the cheesesteak/soft pretzel recommendation until I read Katie's ice cream missive. Absolutely! But for the record, another possibility is pepper pot soup, once ubiquitous, now exceedingly rare. Basically, it's tripe.

I've lived in or around Philly my entire life except college, and I've never had pepper pot soup, let alone heard of it. Can you recommend a place?

Philly's got all sorts of signature food.

cheesesteaks, pretzels, tastykakes, italian ice, ice cream, cheesesteak hoagies, scrapple, roast pork, etc etc etc......

no wonder we're so fat. not as fat as houston and their kolaches though. :biggrin:

:about Triangle dining:

On a related note, I've never had shrimp n grits anywhere in the USA besides the Triangle.

It's been a long time, but I'd love to have some Carolina bbq with some Brunswick stew right about now.

I'm with you on Eastern Carolna BBQ (as supreme).

Re: the shrimp and grits though, it is a dish that originally comes from the Carolina shores (although I've only had it at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill and at home when I've made it).

Here is a quote from Bill Neal's Southern Cooking:

Shrimp and grits are a popular combination from Wilmington, NC to the northern Florida coast. Carolinians attribute remarkable properties of increasing longevity to eating it regularly for breakfast. Often the shrimp are sauteed in bacon fat and served with a gravy spiked with onion and green pepper over grits.

I think Bill Neal is credited though, for bringing Shrimp and Grits to a larger audience and moving it beyond a regional specialty. What I've read is that Craig Claibourne had the dish at Crook's and then wrote glowing reviews of it in the NYT-so it got a lot of press.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Seattle- Beer or Salmon

I'd second the Salmon and add Dungeness Crab. And beer, but specifically microbrews.

Surely coffee?

Seattle - Geoduck, salmon and sodas.

I'd argue the coffee bit, as although there is a great amount of coffee consumption, there isn't a signature "brew" per se. Plenty of regional breweries and soda companies are what grabbed my attention when I moved out here recently.

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

Accidental Hedonist - Food, travel and other irrelevent irreverence

How about surf and turf for Washington.  I am thinking of the Palm.  ch

Surf 'n' Turf. Not invented here (DC). And there is no evidence that the surf and turf in DC is any better than in any other city. We need to identify a dish that the entire population, both inside and outside the beltway, would agree is uniquely "DC."

Edited to add: Welcome to eGullet Saturnbar.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

How about surf and turf for Washington.  I am thinking of the Palm.  ch

Surf 'n' Turf. Not invented here (DC). And there is no evidence that the surf and turf in DC is any better than in any other city. We need to identify a dish that the entire population, both inside and outside the beltway, would agree is uniquely "DC."

Edited to add: Welcome to eGullet Saturnbar.

Didn't the Palm originate in New York? In any event there are 2 Palms in LA.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I am pretty sure the Palm did originate in NY, but I believe it became a larger success in DC and it is the siganture fatcat-lobbyist-politico restaurant in Washington. There is an element of bravado over who orders the biggest lobster, frequently with a side of filet mignon. Really, I threw the surf and turf thing out simply because there just isn't a signature dish for the District. The problem with DC is that there are few if any real ethnic neighborhoods that evolved in the city such that a particular cuisine or dish could be associated with a large area of the city. ch

PHILADELPHIA

I was going to reluctantly relent to the cheesesteak/soft pretzel recommendation until I read Katie's ice cream missive. Absolutely! But for the record, another possibility is pepper pot soup, once ubiquitous, now exceedingly rare. Basically, it's tripe.

I've lived in or around Philly my entire life except college, and I've never had pepper pot soup, let alone heard of it. Can you recommend a place?

Philly's got all sorts of signature food.

cheesesteaks, pretzels, tastykakes, italian ice, ice cream, cheesesteak hoagies, scrapple, roast pork, etc etc etc......

no wonder we're so fat. not as fat as houston and their kolaches though. :biggrin:

Pepperpot soup is a colonial era presentation of a beef vegetable soup that also contains tripe and a healthy dose of Pepper or Chiles. It may have been an adaptation of a recipe brought to the Colonies by Caribbean slaves. City Tavern has "West Indies Pepperpot Soup" on both the lunch and dinner menus. The late Bookbinder's was apparently quite known for their Pepperpot soup. In fact it may still be available canned at a supermarket that carries the Bookbinder's brand soups in the yellow labeled cans.

I think Campbell's makes a Pepperpot soup in the classic red & white can. Not sure if it really has tripe in it or not.

Ah yes! Tastycakes! Criminy - how could I forget those! And the Roast Pork sandwiches are indeed worthy of mention. And it's not Italian Ice - it's WATER ICE. Possibly the only thing that makes August in this city tolerable. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hi. Someone said something about ghardinare (sp.) on hot dogs in Chicago. I'm afraid to say you're incorrect. We use it on Italian Beef sandwiches. (Some use it on just about everything else.) On hot dogs we use sport peppers and an insanely green relish that just about glows in the dark.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Get the honey Junior.

Owensboro, KY (my hometown)=barbecued mutton, burgoo

Louisville, KY=second the mint julep, derby pie, hot brown

Bardstown, KY=the main bourbon spot

Lexington, KY=shaker lemon pie

Where in SC is known for she-turtle soup? Is it Charleston or is that dish a state-wide thing?

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

A hot brown is an open face sandwich consisting of toasted bread covered with turkey, tomato, crisp bacon and smothered in a cheesey mornay sauce and toasted under a broiler. A truly great sandwich. Just had my first this summer while attending the Lebowski Fest.

Get the honey Junior.

Shaker lemon pie as in the Shakers, the post-Christian sect of Mother Ann Lee? Did they reach Kentucky?

Yes they did. There's a really popular Shaker community near Lexington that people visit in the summer. The lemon pie there is a pretty well known dish in Kentucky. It has a more bitter, acidic "true lemon" (as in not syrupy sweet) flavor than other lemon pies I've had.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Seattle - Geoduck, salmon and sodas.

Soda?!

I've lived in Seattle for 20 years and I can say I've NEVER associated it with soda!

DUNGENESS!! and yes, geoducks, and salmon. And yes, I would definitely say coffee, but not just generic coffee, espresso. Plenty of the better coffeehouses roast their own. And there's a real art to being a good barista. Oh, and micros :raz: can't forget those!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Binghamton, NY: spiedies. A marinated skewer of meat.

Corona, Queens, New York: Italian Ice (Benfarimo the Lemon Ice King)

And my first thought for Washington DC was oysters. Or maybe cheese (for the giant cheese at somebody's inauguration in the 1800s, plus a lot of other cheesy stuff :wink:)

What about cioppino? (Not just for tourists anymore....)

Yes, but isn't cioppino originally Portuguese? When I started making it (some 30 years ago, so this may not apply now), I seem to remember reading that in SF they call it Portuguese bouillabaisse, but in Portugal they call it Italian bouillabaisse (which does at least fit with its very Italian name), whereas in Italy they call it... oy, I don't remember what, but I remember thinking it's kind of like the good old STD of a couple of centuries ago: the English called it the French pox, the French called it the Spanish pox, the Spanish called it the English pox, everyone wanted to pass the buck. IAC, cioppino may be a signature dish in SF now, but there's some doubt that it originated there. Course, I'm not sure that matters on this thread....

Hmmmmm. It suddenly occurs to me that the recipe for that first cioppino probably came from Sunset magazine, which would certainly support the West-Coastishness of it. We lived in SF for a year when I was a kid, and my mother became so enamored of Sunset that she kept up her subscription for the rest of her life, even though we've been back on Long Island (where we belong) ever since.

BTW, has anyone mentioned hoagies for Pittsburgh? Lived there for a year as a kid, too. I know there are regional variations (hero, sub, grinder, etc.) all over the map, but I've never met a hoagie outside Pittsburgh unless it's been smuggled out.

And hey, while I'm thinking of places where we lived for brief periods when I was little - how about lemon sticks for Baltimore?

And ooh, ooh, ooh! New York - Dave's Original Egg Cream!

Edited by balmagowry (log)

Denver doesn't have a signature dish. Nothing really springs to mind other than fast food burgers and only because you can't get way from them. Green chile and burritos are too regional to be considered Denver's. Rocky Mtn Oyster maybe at one time, but they aren't that popular. I've asked several native Denverites and not a one can come up with something off the top of their head. Denver is distinctly void of a culinary identity as it has surrounded itself with a multitude of fady hip here today and gone tomorrow restaurants.

Yes, but isn't cioppino originally Portuguese?

Maybe so. But did anyone ever define "signature dish"? Seem to me that a dish doesn't have to originate in a city for it to be its signature dish. Certainly pizza didn't originate in Chicago.

When I try to define "signature dish," I come up with a) a dish that local restaurants feel they need to include to keep the natives happy, b) something you'd tell people they have to have if they're visiting from out of town, c) the dish most people think of when you mention City X + Food (i.e., cheesesteaks in Philly), d) a certain dish you just can't get anywhere else, unless it's been co-opted.

Maybe there's no consensus on what constitutes a "signature dish."

amanda

Googlista

When I think of Colorado, one of the things I think of is Western Omelettes. Does anyone know where they originated? What about the Spanish Omelettes? They seem more Mexican (or Tex-Mex, etc.) to me.

Michael aka "Pan"

Yes, but isn't cioppino originally Portuguese? When I started making it (some 30 years ago, so this may not apply now), I seem to remember reading that in SF they call it Portuguese bouillabaisse, but in Portugal they call it Italian bouillabaisse (which does at least fit with its very Italian name), whereas in Italy they call it... oy, I don't remember what, but I remember thinking it's kind of like the good old STD of a couple of centuries ago: the English called it the French pox, the French called it the Spanish pox, the Spanish called it the English pox, everyone wanted to pass the buck. IAC, cioppino may be a signature dish in SF now, but there's some doubt that it originated there. Course, I'm not sure that matters on this thread....

Hmmmmm. It suddenly occurs to me that the recipe for that first cioppino probably came from Sunset magazine, which would certainly support the West-Coastishness of it. We lived in SF for a year when I was a kid, and my mother became so enamored of Sunset that she kept up her subscription for the rest of her life, even though we've been back on Long Island (where we belong) ever since.

BTW, has anyone mentioned hoagies for Pittsburgh? Lived there for a year as a kid, too. I know there are regional variations (hero, sub, grinder, etc.) all over the map, but I've never met a hoagie outside Pittsburgh unless it's been smuggled out.

And hey, while I'm thinking of places where we lived for brief periods when I was little - how about lemon sticks for Baltimore?

And ooh, ooh, ooh! New York - Dave's Original Egg Cream!

balmagowry:

When we operated a Portuguese, Spanish, South American and African Restaurant in Honolulu, Hawaii called "Lisboa".

One of the dishes we featured was called "Caldarada". The dish was one that had been served by one of my Cooks families for over many years in Hawaii and from the Island of Madeira where her parents emigrated from to work as Luna's in Oahu.

"Caldarada" was prepared by Sauté with Olive Oil and Butter, Whole Manila Clams, Small sized Shucked Washington State Oysters, Mussels, Shrimp, Scallops, Slipper Lobster Tails Split, Crab Claws, Mahi Mahi, Diced Roma Tomatoes, Black Seeded Olives, Flat Leaf Parsley, Diced Garlic and White Wine.

After the Clams and Mussels started to open we added a Very Rich Chicken Broth prepared with lots of Sautéed Onions, Shredded Carrots and Diced Celery simmered together with Fresh Laurel Leafs, Garlic and Chili Peppers with some Tomato Paste until it was almost the consistency of Porridge.

The Broth was combined together with the Seafood Collage and served in a Very Large Glassware Bowl together with a Garlic Rusk and Sliced Sour Dough Bread.

This dish became so popular that it was chosen as the Restaurant Dish of the year by several Publications and The NRA Show in Chicago.

Since there was so much Shell Fish served that we provided a Large Bowl to place the empty shells into and it was surprising how many customers would request a Bag to bring the Shells home to show their kids.

Since you mentioned "Sunset Magazine" this together with Cumino Pepper Rack of Lamb as entrées plus appetizers of Escargots Lisboa and Sauté Baby Squid Portuguese and Authentic Scampi were served as appetizers for a dinner sponsored by the Magazine for "The College of The Dessert" from California.

It would seem that this dish could be attributed to being the source of many Seafood Combinations that have evolved and are enjoyed by all of us fortunate to experience the tastes and flavors.

Irwin :rolleyes::biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

When I think of Colorado, one of the things I think of is Western Omelettes. Does anyone know where they originated? What about the Spanish Omelettes? They seem more Mexican (or Tex-Mex, etc.) to me.

Searching on Google produced two distinct types of "Spanish omelets". The first is clearly a classic potato tortilla, the second a typical omelet filled with peppers, onions, tomatoes and whatnot.

The second type apparently comes from the same location as the "Spanish rice" that was served in my high school cafeteria, a gummy mess of unseasoned rice with tomato sauce. No doubt, some sort of a third-hand inspiration ("Spanish-American"-They eat rice in Spain, don't they?), rather than based directly on an authentic dish.

Clearly the omelet has remained more successful than the rice dish.

Searching on Google produced two distinct types of "Spanish omelets". The first is clearly a classic potato tortilla, the second a typical omelet filled with peppers, onions, tomatoes and whatnot.

Right. And the good brunch place I used to go to in Aspen when I had slept in on a Saturday morning and was very hungry put a salsa on their Spanish omelets.

I've had the tortilla with potatoes only in Spain.

Michael aka "Pan"