• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Each City's signature dish?

stephenc

For the smaller Texas towns, especially like Abilene, Midland, Odessa: Chicken Fried steaks. And for Amarillo, got to be the 72 oz Big Texan! But for chili, man the chiliqueens of San Antone will haunt your bones if they don't get the credit! And New Mexico-Hatch chiles rellenos,POSOLE, Taos Horno bread.Also New Mexico, the stacked enchilada. Tucson- the world's finest cartwheel flour tortillas.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

Denver: Green chile, maybe burritos or breakfast burritos.

Um... isn't there an omlette thing associated with Denver?

The Denver (here in colorado usually called a Western Omelette) Omelette is not a Denver or Colorado specialty. I don't know the history of the name; does anyone else?

Edit to add: the western/denver omelette has ham, green pepper, and onion.

Edited by afoodnut (log)

The Denver (here in colorado usually called a Western Omelette) Omelette is not a Denver or Colorado specialty. I don't know the history of the name; does anyone else?

The Denver Public Library has a chat-reference feature online. I'm currently asking a librarian. Google was no help....

Edit: OMG, this is the coolest thing. You can chat live with a librarian. Susie the Librarian said that she knows the Western History Department has received this question before, but they're closed today. They'll email the answer within two business days....

Edited by Mudpuppie (log)

amanda

Googlista

Edit: OMG, this is the coolest thing. You can chat live with a librarian. Susie the Librarian said that she knows the Western History Department has received this question before, but they're closed today. They'll email the answer within two business days....

:laugh::biggrin::laugh:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Denver: Green chile, maybe burritos or breakfast burritos.

Um... isn't there an omlette thing associated with Denver?

Edit to add: the western/denver omelette has ham, green pepper, and onion.

Here's one answer....

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/ente...2576849,00.html

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Boston--Ice Cream

Nope. Sorry - this one's all about Philly. Bassett's Ice Cream has been around since 1795. Breyer's Ice Cream had a factory here for over 125 years until a not-too-long-ago corporate buyout. Ice cream is sometimes called "Philadelphia style". What that means I don't know, but I know this city has a longer history with commercially available ice cream than anywhere else.

There was ice cream in Philadelphia loooonng before Cheesesteaks or pretzels.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A lot of places are going to end up with barbeque as the specialty. Certainly North Carolina is famous for two different styles (Western and Eastern), and Memphis, Kansas City, and even Chicago have barbeque styles for which they are justly famous.

chicago and bbq? never heard that association before.

please explain.

Mabelline beat me to the senate bean soup for DC. That is the ONLY thing I associate with DC.

Houston - Um... Er... Let me see now... Um...

I'll get back to you. :blink:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Katie, I'd buy any ice cream named after my favorite dog :rolleyes:

I need more coffee. It actually took me a few minutes to realize your dog wasn't named Breyer. :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Ice cream is sometimes called "Philadelphia style".  What that means I don't know, but I know this city has a longer history with commercially available ice cream than anywhere else.

According to the History of ice cream in Philadelphia, Philadelphia style ice cream is made without eggs.

Philadelphia ice cream has always connoted an ice cream made with pure, natural ingredients. By strict definition, however, Philadelphia ice cream is simply ice cream made without eggs. Philadelphia ice creams have other connotations as well: they are cooked before freezing, and there are vanilla bean specks in the vanilla ice cream.
Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Ice cream is sometimes called "Philadelphia style".  What that means I don't know, but I know this city has a longer history with commercially available ice cream than anywhere else.

According to the History of ice cream in Philadelphia, Philadelphia style ice cream is made without eggs.

Philadelphia ice cream has always connoted an ice cream made with pure, natural ingredients. By strict definition, however, Philadelphia ice cream is simply ice cream made without eggs. Philadelphia ice creams have other connotations as well: they are cooked before freezing, and there are vanilla bean specks in the vanilla ice cream.

Thanks Heather! You are the undisputed Queen of Information!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Boston--Ice Cream

Nope. Sorry - this one's all about Philly. Bassett's Ice Cream has been around since 1795. Breyer's Ice Cream had a factory here for over 125 years until a not-too-long-ago corporate buyout. Ice cream is sometimes called "Philadelphia style". What that means I don't know, but I know this city has a longer history with commercially available ice cream than anywhere else.

There was ice cream in Philadelphia loooonng before Cheesesteaks or pretzels.

Philadelphia-style ice cream is traditionally made without eggs.

eta: Oops HJ beat me

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

WoodleyGrrl's point is that Ben's is more known for its' half smoke than for its chili.

I have seen one of these surveys before that identified the Half Smoke as the DC food item.

As luck would have it, Ben's Chili Bowl has a website. Their signature product appears to be chili. They do list a half somke on the menu, but it is a chili half smoke, but it comes after the regular chili hot dog. I don't think that DC has a national reputation when it comes to half smokes. Most all of the half smokes you get down at the corner cart are made by Sabretts which is a national brand made in New Jersey. I would be willing to bet that Ben's Chili Bowl does not make its own half-smokes (they probably get them from Sabretts).

What is it that is made better in DC than anywhere else (food item that is)? Could it be that DC has no "signature dish."

I'm glad to know that Ben's Chili Bowl is still around. I worked in the neighborhood back in 1990 -- before the subway stop opened -- and Ben's was pretty much the only place to eat.

Oh -- the signature dish for Elmsford is definitely the tuna sandwich, with relish, and crumbled potato chips on toasted rye.