• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Each City's signature dish?

stephenc

On the DC signature dish issue, I asked a good friend of mine who was born in Alexandria, VA, a close-in DC suburb, and has lived there all his life this question. He was unable to identify anything that would serve as DC's signature dish and concluded that there was none. He laughed when I suggested half-smokes.

When I lived in Alexandria a few years back I remember reading a Washington Post article also trying to find a signature dish for the DC area. The best they could come up with was also a half smoke. Sounds like the official word to me.

I used to have a half smoke breakfast sandwich once a week or so; half smoke with egg and cheese on a roll.

slowday

here's one i learned from the movie "Pecker"

Baltimore - Pit Beef.  don't ask me what it is, cuz i'm not sure.

I'm not a native of Balitimore and I'm sure someone can give a more detailed explanation but to me, pit beef is basically roast beef on a kaiser roll. I go to a local place north of Baltimore and watch them cook it on the cooler side of the charcol grill they use to cook burgers and chicken breasts and a few other things. The beef gets sliced off and dunked into a pan of gravy before being put onto a roll. Its not a wet beef sandwich like in Chicago. I usually get mine with mayo, horseradish and bar-b-que sauce. And if the timing is right you can get the ends of the beef that gets too well done to put into a sandwich.

I'm not a native of Balitimore and I'm sure someone can give a more detailed explanation. The pit beef from Andy Nelson's north of the cityis probably the best pit beef sandwich I've had since I moved here although at Nelson's its kind of a lost item compared to the ribs and the brisket.

I thought that Baltimore was a crab and seafood place but I've been here about two years and everytime there is some kind of event its been bar-b-que everytime. They may be famous for crabcakes but pig rules.

slowday

Winston Salem:

Krispy Kreme. How could you guys forget the Kripsy? Write it in stone. The quintessential Winston-Salem food is Krispy Kreme.

And Lexington style is far superior. I can't even eat Eastern style. The only BBQ I'll eat here in Raleigh is actually Texas style (Danny's...actually it's Florida Panhandle style, but close enough...).

So, a bit OT, but do Eastern Style BBQ joints go up in flames as often as Lexington style ones? I've been here almost 3 years and can't recall a single place going up in smoke. In Lexington (where I grew up) and Winston (where I was born, went to college, and lived after college), one went up in a blaze every few months. What up?

Gourmet Anarchy

New Haven - Apizza (whatever that is...)

Halifax - Donair, Oatcakes

Ann Arbor - Fragles (raisin bagel deep fried and coated in cinnamon & sugar) & all things Zingermans; recently, Halloumi showing up everywhere.

Hmmm. I have been thinking a lot about what the signature dish of the state of Delaware would be (or any city in the state for that matter). The difficulty seems to come from the fact that we take our local delicasies from surrounding areas, much like D.C. There Cheesesteak is very popular, as are sub shops and little Italian deli's ala North Jersey. You go down near the beach and you have tons of seafood everywhere, and blue and soft shell crabs are also all over the place, but those are more associated with Baltimore. There is a rather large Amish population which brings the Amish cooking into the limelight sometimes, but that is more strongly associated with PA than DE.

There is a huge chicken farming industry, and at least in Newark buffalo wings are wildly popular, not so much as in Buffalo, however ;).

When it comes down to it Delaware's signature dish may be Grotto's Pizza, a form of pizza which is unique in that everyone who lives here knows it is bad, and knows the intestinal disfortitude which it inevitiably brings, but strangely we give in to the cravings over and over again.... Maybe it has to do with the cycles of the moon.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

here's one i learned from the movie "Pecker"

Baltimore - Pit Beef.  don't ask me what it is, cuz i'm not sure.

I'm not a native of Balitimore and I'm sure someone can give a more detailed explanation but to me, pit beef is basically roast beef on a kaiser roll. I go to a local place north of Baltimore and watch them cook it on the cooler side of the charcol grill they use to cook burgers and chicken breasts and a few other things. The beef gets sliced off and dunked into a pan of gravy before being put onto a roll. Its not a wet beef sandwich like in Chicago. I usually get mine with mayo, horseradish and bar-b-que sauce. And if the timing is right you can get the ends of the beef that gets too well done to put into a sandwich.

I'm not a native of Balitimore and I'm sure someone can give a more detailed explanation. The pit beef from Andy Nelson's north of the cityis probably the best pit beef sandwich I've had since I moved here although at Nelson's its kind of a lost item compared to the ribs and the brisket.

I thought that Baltimore was a crab and seafood place but I've been here about two years and everytime there is some kind of event its been bar-b-que everytime. They may be famous for crabcakes but pig rules.

slowday

thank you slowday! this actually sounds yummy. personally i don't like italian beef - it's too mushy and messy. pit beef sounds yum tho. i would definitely hang out all day waiting for the end pieces.

When it comes down to it Delaware's signature dish may be Grotto's Pizza, a form of pizza which is unique in that everyone who lives here knows it is bad, and knows the intestinal disfortitude which it inevitiably brings, but strangely we give in to the cravings over and over again.... Maybe it has to do with the cycles of the moon.

NulloModo, could you please describe this type of pizza?

Michael aka "Pan"

NulloModo, could you please describe this type of pizza?

It comes from a chain headquartered at Rehoboth Beach called "Grotto's Pizza."

It is a thin crusted pizza, very greasy all over the place, usually with slightly overdone crust, and not enough cheese to actually cover the sauce, resulting in a 'swirly' effect on top. If you let it sit on your table long enough you will see the grease start to pool up in the cheesy islands on each slice...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anybody's asked this yet...but why those particular cities? Seems like kind of an eclectic assortment...some big, some not so big. I mean really...does Oklahoma City have a signature food? (just and example. folks...not trying to stir it up :biggrin: )

A guy that I used to work with...he and I planned a mythical trip across the county where we would go to every state and eat what that state is known for.

Edited by chefdavidrusso (log)

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

I don't know if anybody's asked this yet...but why those particular cities? Seems like kind of an eclectic assortment...some big, some not so big. I mean really...does Oklahoma City have a signature food? (just and example. folks...not trying to stir it up :biggrin: )

A guy that I used to work with...he and I planned a mythical trip across the county where we would go to every state and eat what that state is known for.

Those are the largest metro areas in the United States.

I don't know if anybody's asked this yet...but why those particular cities?  Seems like kind of an eclectic assortment...some big, some not so big.  I mean really...does Oklahoma City have a signature food? (just and example. folks...not trying to stir it up  :biggrin: )

Those are the largest metro areas in the United States.

AAHHH...I never would have guessed that. Thank you. Is the list that starts the thread updated with the suggestions of others? I would be curious to see what you all have come up with. And I'll see if I can't make some suggestions as well

And I'll see if I can't make some suggestions as well

I have a brother-in-law who lives in Nasville and is forever talking about a place called "Waffle House". I don't know anything about it personally....anybody have any comment? (now there's a stupid question :raz: )

chefdavidrusso, are you being serious? Wafflehouse is the quintessential grease w/ grease w/ extra grease on the side, 24 hour breakfast diner chain. If you've never been there, you must go. If you have been there, you know better, but eventually you will go again anyhow, because there's no place else like it. :biggrin:

Waffle House website

chefdavidrusso, are you being serious? Wafflehouse is the quintessential grease w/ grease w/ extra grease on the side, 24 hour breakfast diner chain. If you've never been there, you must go. If you have been there, you know better, but eventually you will go again anyhow, because there's no place else like it. :biggrin:

Waffle House website

Yes, he is being serious; Waffle House is a Great Unknown to folks north of the Mason-Dixon. I had breakfast at WH during my visit to Raleigh last fall, during the Varmint Pig Pickin' festivities. This Chicago girl was enchanted: The waitress called me "Hon," the menus were laminated, and the menu featured what has to be a classic of mushy monotone horror: Brains with Grits.

I had an egg over easy, bacon, hash browns, a waffle, toast, juice and: drum roll: my first grits! For like, $2.49. (I ate much better grits that night chez Varmint.) If WH ever moves into the Windy City I'll become a regular.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yes, he is being serious; Waffle House is a Great Unknown to folks north of the Mason-Dixon.

Yes...as Miss Maggie so eloquently points out...I am serious as a heart-attack (which it sounds like repeated trips to the Waffle House will supply to me) In NJ we've got Greek and Jewish diners...maybe not quite the same thing, but it's as close as we get.

Oddly, one of my favorite late night greek diner experiences came when I was living in Chicago....welll, at that point I was still in college in Evanston....we used to go out to the Omega on Gulf Road in whatever town it was that far out (they all ran together for meat that point). Maggiethecat...do you know it?

-David

Edited by chefdavidrusso (log)

For Providence, I'd guess quahogs.

see, you can't find a stuffie in providence you got to leave the city...its a 15 minute drive...but don't forget clam cakes, and really i know they are beverages but frozen lemonade, coffee milk, and if you want to get serious here anybody in the know will tell you grilled pizza.

just to bring it back to the culinary delights of new england:

hartford:cheesburger (it was invented there>.or new haven...whatever...and they used to steam it, so its the steamed cheese burger...)

Seattle:

--Anything you can get at Ivar's

--same but at Dick's

More specifically,

--Salmon jerky

--Beth's (12 egg) omelette (with mushrooms sausage and cheese)

A little fancier but shouldn't be, actually best eaten with Puget Sound in sniffing distance and no pesky waiters around

--grilled wild salmon (if it comes from Alaska, like from the Copper River it's still from Seattle) with morels and asparagus

--butter clams and butter

--all the oysters you can eat from Mutual Fish (or if you don't want to shuck 'em yourself then at Emmett Watson's where you should also eat salmon soup) with

And to drink:

--Full Sail Pale

--Cabernet Sauvignons from Walla Walla, Walla Walla Vintners or Leonetti preferably

--Zeitgeist or Bauhaus double espresso

To finish

--hand shaven noodles at Shanghai Garden

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Oddly, one of my favorite late night greek diner experiences came when I was living in Chicago....welll, at that point I was still in college in Evanston....we used to go out to the Omega on Gulf Road in whatever town it was that far out (they all ran together for meat that point).  Maggiethecat...do you know it?

Pretty sure that's Niles...a loong way from Evanston. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Oddly, one of my favorite late night greek diner experiences came when I was living in Chicago....welll, at that point I was still in college in Evanston....we used to go out to the Omega on Gulf Road in whatever town it was that far out (they all ran together for meat that point).  Maggiethecat...do you know it?

Pretty sure that's Niles...a loong way from Evanston. :smile:

=R=

You may very well be right, but "Niles" doesn't really ring a bell. Either way, it was WAY the hell out there...took us about 1/2 hour by car.