• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stock Pots: The Topic

KateW

Williams Sonoma has a 20 qt All-Clad on web special for $120 right now -- and you'd get more pancake molds! You are correct in your assumption, whatever you get, do not get a cheap flimsy one. Personally I would suggest some of the restaurant supply stores if there are any in your area.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Williams Sonoma has a 20 qt All-Clad on web special for $120 right now -- and you'd get more pancake molds!  You are correct in your assumption, whatever you get, do not get a cheap flimsy one.  Personally I would suggest some of the restaurant supply stores if there are any in your area.

Yes, that's what i need, more pancake molds. In fact I have an order coming from WS soon. By next Christmas I'm sure I'll have new friends to give them away to. :biggrin: Come to think of it, we're heading into Toronto tomorrow afternoon, and there happens to be a WS in the Eaton Centre. Now normally, nothing is open New Year's Day, except the Eaton Centre is classified a "tourist area" so it will be going strong.

hmmmmmm

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You don't need to pay for All-Clad for a stockpot. Like Jake recommended, you can get something decent for less than half the price at a restaurant supply store. I got mine (16 qt) at Target for ~$30. It has a nice thick bottom and tall sides. There's been other discussion of stockpots in the past. I'll do a search and post again.

You're so good to me Rachel :biggrin: . I know I don' t need All Clad, but it's so pretty. :biggrin: I await your links.

Marlene

Ok, I've merged the threads. I don't have a target here, but I can look and see if I can get Chefmate in Canada.

Marlene

Ok, I've merged the threads.  I don't have a target here, but I can look and see if I can get Chefmate in Canada.

Marlene, I have seen stockpots that look exactly like Chefmate (and priced similarly) at several other places that are like Target. Look around at a discount place. My Chefmate is almost as pretty as an All Clad. But you save so much money that you can justify buying other things!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

If you don't have Target, you may have Wal-Mart, which carries a similar line called Tramantona. The primary difference between the two is that the Chef Mate has vents in the lids of their stockpots, and they cost about five dollars more. The quality of both is very similar.

Nobody here has mentioned Revere Ware, so I'll make a pitch here. I picked up my 16-quart Revere stock pot yea, these many years ago for around $50 at an outlet store. That was after Dad had given me a 12-quart stockpot as a gift (much to my mother's dismay - 'why spend so much money?') and I'd realized how elegant and useful it was. Both stockpots in question are stainless steel with aluminum disks. They're every bit as pretty as All-Clad, of which I have plenty, for considerably less money, and they're fine for soup and stock making. I have no idea about prices these days, and I can't compare them to Tramontona or Chef Mate. Nonetheless I am quite fond of them and will offer Revere as an option you should consider for this purpose.

Edited for speeling, or spelllling, or whatever. Happy New Year! *hic*

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

If you don't have Target, you may have Wal-Mart, which carries a similar line called Tramantona. The primary difference between the two is that the Chef Mate has vents in the lids of their stockpots, and they cost about five dollars more. The quality of both is very similar.

I do have a WalMart here, although I generally do my best to avoid it :rolleyes: . I'll check it out as well. Are vented lids a good thing when making stock?

Marlene

The vent keeps the lid from rattling around when under pressure. That's all. It bothers some people more than others. Since you are going to do most of the stock making with the lid off, it may not make that much difference to you.

My work has been closed for the week so I bought a Sitram 17.9 qt. stockpot from Amazon for $60 (originally $133) to make some stock. I bought Sitram based on Fat Guys recommendations for the Sitram Profiserie line of cookware. I ended up making an awesome batch of chicken stock that turned out perfect my first attempt at making stock. I now have about 2 qts of clear, concentrated stock that has gelled very nicely. Here is the stockpot:

Sitram 17.9 qt stockpot at Amazon

I can highly recommend this stockpot. It doesn't come with a lid but one can be ordered at Bridge Kitchenware. Actually for stock, you don't need a cover anyway.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I like having a lid for my stock pot. I put it on at the beginning to bring the pot to a boil faster. Then, after it has come to a boil, and the flame is reduced and I've done the first hour of skimming, I put the lid back on. My stove has an extra low simmer burner -- the water doesn't simmer so much as shimmer. If I'm keeping the stockpot on it overnight, I'll put the lid on. I usually don't lose more than an inch or so after it is on for 8 hours or longer. This allows more room for the gelatin to dissolve into the liquid. I pack a lot of meat & bones, and vegetables, into my pot. I'd rather have full extraction before beginning the reduction. A lot of stock recipes even state to add water if it reduces too much, to keep the solids submerged. This way, I can go to bed knowing I don't need to worry about that.

Also, I steam lobsters in my stock pot, so you need a lid for that.

I am now the owner of a 24 quart stock pot. Yes, it's All Clad :biggrin: It was on sale.

Tomorrow, I'm off to visit my butcher to get bones and then I'm going to try my first beef stock.

In the meantime, I'll go re-read Fat Guy's stock class.

Marlene

Congratulations! Wear it in good health......

You will not be disappointed it does a teriffic job.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My advice for buying a stockpot is to find the biggest one your oven can comfortably accomodate. I've tried stovetop stocks, pressure cooker stocks and oven stocks (although not microwave) and for number of minutes in the kitchen/litre of stock, oven seems to win by quite a significant margin.

I put it on high heat on the stove until it comes to a boil and then keep it at a steady 80 - 90C simmer in the oven and leave it overnight without the fear that the flame goes out on my stove and fills my house with gas. It also seems to discourage evaoporation which means theres more flavour in the stock and less wafting through the air.

PS: I am a guy.

You'd think no one in this town makes beef stock any more. 4 supermarkets, and two butchers later, the best I can come up with is a couple of veal shanks and several beef bones. No beef shanks or oxtail. I"m gonna have to pick up some sort of chuck roast to supplement this stock. I'll post progress as I go.

Marlene

I am in the same boat, Marlene. I did find oxtails but I refuse to pay $3.49 a pound to make stock. OY! What is up with that? Shanks are just about as bad. I think I saw somewhere (in the eGCI course Q&A?) that brisket adds good beef flavor. I wonder how that works out. I really like the beefy flavor of chuck but I have never used it for stock. That might be a really good idea but I have to find some bones. I like my stock reduction to get to something like a hockey puck in its little jar.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'll let you know how the chuck roast turns out. If I can find one this afternoon, I'll be starting my stock tonight.

Marlene

Is the difficulty in getting bones due to the fact that so many supermarkets and butcher shops get their meat cryovac'ed? Or, am I a dinosaur for making my own stock?

My local butcher loves me. When the stuff gets to the "sell by" date, he calls me and gives me a deal.

fifi, oxtails here at the supermarket are $4.99/lb. I don't think so, but when they are at their date, they'll deal.

I am in the same boat, Marlene. I did find oxtails but I refuse to pay $3.49 a pound to make stock. OY! What is up with that? Shanks are just about as bad. I think I saw somewhere (in the eGCI course Q&A?) that brisket adds good beef flavor. I wonder how that works out. I really like the beefy flavor of chuck but I have never used it for stock. That might be a really good idea but I have to find some bones. I like my stock reduction to get to something like a hockey puck in its little jar.

I go to the Mexican markets for oxtail, much cheaper and usually much better quality.

I haven't bought any lately but have to stop at Vallarta this afternoon on my way home to pick up some cream so will check then. Oxtail soup sounds really good as I view the torrents of rain falling outside the window.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I go to the Mexican markets for oxtail, much cheaper and usually much better quality.

Reminds me to stop at Asian market which always has odd pieces of bones with meat and marrow as well as other goodies, as pennies on the dollar.