• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cold buffet Menu Ideas

doggirl

A dinner party has grown too big for a seated dinner as I'd intended. I need to switch gears. Can you suggest some cold buffet items? I'd like to have it all done ahead so I can enjoy my guests. Am I dreaming, or is it possible? I'll need to feed about 20-25. How-to tips will be greatly appreciated along with menu suggestions!!

Thank you!

Here is one thread I found about putting on a buffet. Not all the suggestions are cold items, but some are.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Gee... Everytime there is a "I'm giving a party thread," I keep suggesting the same thing...

Soup.

Why limit yourself to cold buffet (especially when it is so cold outside)?

Three or four different soups can be made a day, two, or three ahead of time (and face it, what soup doesn't benefit from being a day old anyway)?

Keep the big pots of soup on the stove with ladles available and a ton of bowls. I always do four: two vegetarian and and two meat - one stew-like, one creamy, one chili, and one brothy. Guests can help themselves and supplement the meal with a variety of breads and spreads, and antipasti (pate, pickles, compound butters, olives...)

So easy and it ends up being very impressive. Very little work on the day of the party, either. You get to spend the time with all your guests while they serve themselves.

I like the soup idea.

How about a sushi platter?

I also like grapes on a cold buffet. Several different colors with a few leaves in a silver dish or a decorative colander looks great and (most) everyone likes grapes. Put a pair of scissors close by so people can cut off their own servings.

Deviled eggs? Ronnie made some kick ass ones for his party this holiday season. His spread was excellent. You can see it in his blog here.

Hummus is always good too.

Have fun!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Being a "dinner" party you will need cold and hot side. People will be making a meal of this and cold only ain't gonna work. That said to limit time in the kitchen try a poached salmon side or 2 with all garnishes for cold(may also be served hot). Bouches filled with shrimp, crab, chicken salad, etc... Assorted cheeses are a good thing-not just jack, cheddar-the good stuff.

Hot side is easy to prep. Think maybe chix sates on a sheet pan-precooked. Brush with marinade/sauce, and reheat in oven. Chix thighs are great for buffets, they will remain moist for hours. a Hearty stew or daube can be made the day before and will be better the next day-just heat and serve with peasant bread or crouton.

Is there a "theme" to the party? This helps me concentrate on the menu and attendant items. Spanish with asst. of cold olives, cheeses, hams, tapas. Eastern european-caviar, blini, smoked salmon, borscht, goulash.

hth, danny

Being a "dinner" party you will need cold and hot side. People will be making a meal of this and cold only ain't gonna work.

Not necessarily, although it depends on how liberally you want to define it.

I've done Jewish shivas where the entire selection was cold.

salmon and filet sandwiches are what I remember most.

Anyway, the soup is a good idea.

Charcuterie is another good option.

To be even more infamous, you can always get a whole roast pig for people to pick away at. With 20-25 people, you will have some left over.

Gravlax or smoked salmon with toast points

cheese tray with figs, grapes, bread, etc.

fruit trays

crudite

OTOH, If you actually want to cook things:

you can still do filet sandwiches, grilling off your meat ahead of time, stuffing the meat into rolls, with mustard and horseradish dips

soup of choice (to keep it cold: gazpacho)

Sorry, that's all I can remember now. Been a while since I catered much.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Interesting thread for me tonight since I spent an hour planning my husband's "Christmas" party for next weekend . This is what we will have and I intend to hire 1 person to help only because I am the hostess to a bunch of people I have never met and may have socializing duties. Except for the risotto, it's all prepped ahead

Cocktails/ champagne/ etc

Rosemary spiced nuts

Polenta mushroom diamonds ( Martha Stewart )

Spinach cheese triangles ( get them from my food serv supplier)

Crab cakes/ spicy remoulade ( " above)

Roulade of turkey breast/ lemon basil stuffing

Cold side of poached salmon, capers, chp onion, lemon

Vegetable risotto ( somebody always wants to help and they can stir this)

Foccaccia/ herb butter ( I may make my own )

Artisan cheese platter - crax, fruit and nut wedge, grapes

Desserts - 1 chocolate do ahead something and maybe lemon chiffon tartlettes

I haven't nailed the dessert specifics down.

Speaking of deviled eggs... Usually I buy large eggs, so that's what I have on hand, if I'm just making a few. But, if I were going to make deviled eggs for a party I would buy small or, at largest, medium-sized eggs, for a more petite portion.

Great idea! Sometimes I don't think of serving them for hors d'oeuvres because of the size (thinking they will be too filling).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"