• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yogurt-making @ home

Fat Guy

Hey yogurt experts!

I have a friend who is going dairy-free/soy free for allergy reasons but she LOVES yogurt. She tried making it from coconut milk, but it stayed very runny. She has tried making it with almond milk and threw it away because it tasted awful. She has read about using a cashew puree with water as the base, as well, but has not yet attempted it.

Any suggestions on other bases? Any ideas why the coconut milk won't set up? Could it be the lack of protein?

Hey yogurt experts!

I have a friend who is going dairy-free/soy free for allergy reasons but she LOVES yogurt.  She tried making it from coconut milk, but it stayed very runny.  She has tried making it with almond milk and threw it away because it tasted awful.  She has read about using a cashew puree with water as the base, as well, but has not yet attempted it.

Any suggestions on other bases?  Any ideas why the coconut milk won't set up?  Could it be the lack of protein?

Maybe try to simulate yogurt without really doing the culture. Smooth tangy/tart rice pudding comes to mind.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

• 2 months later...

thanks for all the input here--I'm just about to start making yogurt again.

as for the sweetening--for those of you who like it sweetened, how do you do so?

I don't like chunks of fruit in my yogurt so jam isn't an option--I like lemon or vanilla or coffee--I used to have some recipes for making a syrup to mix in--I think it was from the NYT--but can't find it--does anyone do this?

Zoe

I like agave nectar syrup and a little vanilla.

ooh, sounds delish--do you buy this syrup or make it? I buy the boxes of mango and guava nectar to make drinks with--I wonder if they would work to flavor simple syrup???

I buy the agave syrup at Whole Foods. It's a syrup made from the Agave cactus. It's a bit like honey, but with a more neutral flavor. It also has a low glycemic index.

Edited by pounce (log)

I buy the agave syrup at Whole Foods. It's a syrup made from the Agave cactus. It's a bit like honey, but with a more neutral flavor. It also has a low glycemic index.

I will have to try this--it ssounds interesting--I would guess that Trader Joes has it, don't you think?

I just put my yogurt to bed in the oven for the night--I did the standard things that everyone's been doing--Brought a gallon of 2% to 180, mixed 1/4 cup of powdered milk in, cooled to 110, added 1/4 cup of plain yogurt--I transferred it to a large storage container--6 qt size--it's not designed for food so I'm just using it this 1x--will thrift some food safe rectangular containers .

placed some boiled water underneath it to keep things at the correct temp.

by the way, I made lavender syrup --2:1 sugar:water and couldn't resist testing it over the store yogurt--it is so good--it mellows the sourness of the yogurt perfectly.

I'm buzzing with ideas for syrups--thinking of a very strong green tea for the syrup with ginger--or an Earl Grey type--using black tea and bergamot.

After trying some River Cottage yogurt in the UK last month, I was inspired to try making yogurt at home again. My first attempts, about 1 year ago, weren't that good, with the last one resulting in a weird, viscous yogurt. I was using the Yogotherm (which is essentially a styrofoam cooler that is more expensive that it needs to be) and "sweet" yogurt starter from The New England Cheesemaking Supply Co.

This time, I used their Bulgarian yogurt starter and the Yogotherm. I used TJ's organic whole milk, heated it to 180, let it cool to 110 and whisked in the culture. I only incubated 4.5 hours (I had been letting it sit much longer before). The results have been great: slightly firm yogurt with a light tang. When I recultured from the first batch, the result was even more firm and it only took 4 hours. Anyway, I'm pretty happy at this point. Thinking about trying out the creme fraiche and sour cream starters, too.

Hilary

• 2 months later...

so now i've been making yog all summer and have it pretty much down--so here are some things I've discovered.

I make it only with whole milk--I can't get that nice texture with 2%, unfortunately. I make a gallon at a time--it's amazing how fast we go through it--I use it in so many ways now.

I do the heat to 180, cool to 110 thing--and agree that a fast cool in an ice bath is important--one time i just let it cool down naturally and the yogurt was grainy rather than smooth.

I add 1 cup of powdered milk--any more results in a weird color and smell--the powdered milk overtakes the fresh milk--not a good thing.

I tried all the supermarket brands as starters--none were real great--so I splurged on some Fage and it was well worth it--that is delicious yogurt.

I just use the end of the last batch now for a starter--probably a little over 1/2 a cup--and this last time I froze the yogurt since we were going away, and added the frozen yogurt to the warm milk--it helped cool the milk down and I was pleased to see that the starter was still active even after freezing.

also, I incubate for nine hours only-- the yogurt curdles and breaks down if I did the full 12 hours--and i spoon the whey out as it develops--otherwise the yog turns into soup by the fourth day.

I picked up a big green oblong tupperware container at the thrift--I think it's the celery crisper or possibly a bread keeper--but it holds the gallon of milk perfectly, and fits into my cooler with a hot pad under it--also it doesn't hog space in my crowded fridge.

The syrups I've made thus far for flavoring are lavender, coffee, lemon and lime--all delicious in yogurt--I still haven't gotten the agave, but look forward to trying it.

Zoe

Has anyone tried Kefir cheese. In Middle Eastern markets it is also called Labne. The reason I mention it here is because it is essentially yogurt with all the liquid taken out. It is wonderful, with a thick consistency and the tart taste of yogurt. Its a cultural thing for most, something I have grown up with. If you make yogurt you may want to try it. All you do is take the yogurt and strain the liquid through a cheesecloth. Then you take what is left and spread it on some really good pita bread. Great breakfast with some olives!! :smile:

Has anyone tried Kefir cheese.  In Middle Eastern markets it is also called Labne. The reason I mention it here is because it is essentially yogurt with all the liquid taken out. It is wonderful, with a thick consistency and the tart taste of yogurt. Its a cultural thing for most, something I have grown up with. If you make yogurt you may want to try it. All you do is take the yogurt and strain the liquid through a cheesecloth. Then you take what is left and spread it on some really good pita bread. Great breakfast with some olives!! :smile:

I totall agree with this idea; it's great and I didn't know that this was called labne.

In India, you take this strained yogurt, add a little cream, powdered sugar, saffron,

and cardamom (variations include mango), and voila! Shrikhand!

The world's easiest and very spectacular dessert....

Milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

Has anyone tried Kefir cheese.  In Middle Eastern markets it is also called Labne. The reason I mention it here is because it is essentially yogurt with all the liquid taken out. It is wonderful, with a thick consistency and the tart taste of yogurt. Its a cultural thing for most, something I have grown up with. If you make yogurt you may want to try it. All you do is take the yogurt and strain the liquid through a cheesecloth. Then you take what is left and spread it on some really good pita bread. Great breakfast with some olives!! :smile:

I just made my first batch of kefir cheese yesterday and I am straining more today! I plan on mixing one batch with sea salt, garlic, and fresh herbs and the other with a pinch of salt, honey, and walnuts.

I actually make kefir on a daily basis, and it's even easier than yogurt! All you need is kefir grains, milk, and a clean container. Put the grains and milk in the clean, covered container and let them sit until the milk is separated -about a day or two. I drain off the whey, but you don't have to. Then I use a colander and drain the kefir into another container, plop the kefir grains into a new clean glass jar, and top with milk and cover for another couple of days.

I need to find more recipes to use up the kefir - I'm beginning to get an overflow - hence the cheese! :biggrin:

It is wonderful ( and fattening but who cares?) for breakfast. I absolutely love it on pita bread. In fact toast the pita bread and then spread labne on. With some zhatar and olives it beats two eggs over, any day. :smile:

I have a great aunt who wants to teach my mom and I how to make it. She is 95 years old so we need to get with her to learn soon as she is the last of my grandmother's family alive.

BTW, my mom's family is originally from northern Lebanon. We make schputick ( I think that is how it is spelled) and dough caps. It is a regional dish that is yogurt sauce, and meat filled dough caps served over rice. A specialty we would only get at Christmas and Orthodox Easter when my grandmother was alive. It is wonderful.

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

All the activity in this topic inspired me to make some yogurt myself.

I actually got good results using entirely reconstituted nonfat dry milk--the secret, I learned a good ways back, is to mix up the milk a good day or three beforehand, and let it sit in the fridge; I think this lets every last bit of the dry milk dissolve, cutting way down on that funky dry-milk off-flavor. I added an additional 3rd-ish of a cup of dry milk while I was heating the batch to 180 deg F. Cooled the saucepan in a sinkful of cold tap water. Used Mountain High lowfat yogurt, lightly beaten, as my starter--1/2 cup of that in 1 quart of liquid milk. Tempered the starter first with a couple spoonfuls of the warm milk, then mixed it all thorougly, and poured it into an empty yogurt container I'd saved for the purpose. Incubated it for a few hours in an oven heated at 200 deg F for about 30 seconds then shut off; then left it just sitting out on the counter, lightly covered, overnight (it was definitely incubation temperature in my apartment!) Resulting yogurt is creamy, thick, a little viscous, with a nice mild flavor. I'm satisfied with it--just had a cupful for breakfast.

It's been a long time since I last made yogurt, but now that I've successfully gotten back on that bicycle and ridden it, I think next time I'll make a bigger batch and make at least some of it into yogurt cheese/kefir.

So, I am going to scratch large container of plain yogurt off the grocery list and pick up 2% milk and one small FAGE to try to make some for myself.

I will read through this thread more thoroughly than I have before I do, especially to evaluate what I might use as containers without making additional purchases.

QUESTION: Why use powdered milk? :unsure:

Please direct me to the salient post if the virtues of using it appear in this thread already. However, I see some people using it along with their milk and starter yogurt and some doing without. I am inclined to do without.

Thanks.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I just made my first batch of kefir cheese yesterday and I am straining more today!  I plan on mixing one batch with sea salt, garlic, and fresh herbs and the other with a pinch of salt, honey, and walnuts.

I actually make kefir on a daily basis, and it's even easier than yogurt!  All you need is kefir grains, milk, and a clean container.  Put the grains and milk in the clean, covered container and let them sit until the milk is separated -about a day or two.  I drain off the whey, but you don't have to.  Then I use a colander and drain the kefir into another container, plop the kefir grains into a new clean glass jar, and top with milk and cover for another couple of days.

I need to find more recipes to use up the kefir - I'm beginning to get an overflow - hence the cheese!  :biggrin:

I've been making kefir for about a year now with the grains. It is very easy. My husband was lactose-intolerant until he started drinking a little kefir on a weekly basis. Now it seems he can eat any dairy without any of the discomfort he used to have. I know it's just testimonial information, but kefir has more of the active cultures than yogurt does, so maybe it can help with the lactose digestion.

I tried to make a cottage cheese out of some really sour kefir I had, but it didn't coagulate. I think I needed to try something other than skim milk. The dogs enjoyed the failure immensely though. Haven't tried making kefir cheese yet.

QUESTION:  Why use powdered milk? :unsure:

If you work with powdered milk only you can avoid the heat step and go right into the incubation step. In many cases the results are just as good as with liquid milk. I add powdered milk to liguid milk to add more body to the results. It adds more nutrients as well. It can be handy to have a big costco box of powdered milk esp if you are not a milk drinker. It doesn't go bad on you, take up fridge space and you can make as little or as much as you need. I'd go with fresh milk most of the time maybe try adding powdered milk to see if you like it.

When you guys put the yoghurt mixture in the warm place/oven overnight (or for however many hours you leave it for), do you use an airproof lid? I found that when I left the yoghurt mixture in a plastic container and put on the air tight light & put it in the oven, the lid burst off after about 10 minutes due to the pressure....

I add powdered milk to liguid milk to add more body to the results. It adds more nutrients as well. It can be handy to have a big costco box of powdered milk esp if you are not a milk drinker. It doesn't go bad on you, take up fridge space and you can make as little or as much as you need. I'd go with fresh milk most of the time maybe try adding powdered milk to see if you like it.

Pounce, thanks for answering my question. Currently my fridge holds buttermilk for baking/pancakes, skim milk for cereal, whole milk for coffee, light cream for a quiche, last week's yogurt, FAGE for starter and now 2% for making a new batch of yogurt. I didn't feel the need to buy the powdered milk. We'll see how it goes.

When you guys put the yoghurt mixture in the warm place/oven overnight (or for however many hours you leave it for), do you use an airproof lid? I found that when I left the yoghurt mixture in a plastic container and put on the air tight light & put it in the oven, the lid burst off after about 10 minutes due to the pressure....

No one else having this problem? :sad:

I've been making my own yogurt for a few months now since I did my locavore challenge (and it's the only dairy my daughter will really eat) and I have great success with whole milk, fage starter, milk powder (it gives it a fantastic consistency for only incubating 6-7 hours) and a salton machine. I also drain the whey to avoid goopy results after 3 or so days. I didn't read through the whole thread, but I'm curious... would this work with soy milk?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

• 1 month later...

Took me a month, but this week I finally did get around to making my first batch of yogurt, thanks to all the advice offered here, consulting Foodman's excellent, simple instructions as well as an academic site with very specific instructions regarding temperatures.

I used 2% milk and Brown Cow whole-milk yogurt as a starter, adding a generous 1/4 c. to each jar that holds roughly 3 cups. I also went with flannel pajamas instead of the sweater Elie recommends, then a (synthetic) blanket wrapped around both jars.

The results will be breakfast for the forseeable future. Very pleased with the creamy texture, especially. Alone, the taste is mildly tangy. Drizzled with Spanish honey and mixed with apples and a little granola, the yogurt's bite disappears. I tried leaving one jar out for almost 20 hours and it does not seem all that different, though I am sure it wasn't very warm.

The consistency is pourable rather than firm, but it reminds me of some Italian and French yogurts I've had. I think I will try to keep the jars warmer a bit longer before I fiddle around with powdered milk.

No one else having this problem? :sad:

Reading through this entire thread would be exhausting. Don't. However, you should read some of it. You'll find most of us use jars with screw-on lids. I sterilized mine. Read Foodman's recipe (under Laban) in RecipeGullet and the early link to a biologist's site if you want something very explicit and precise that includes instructions for sterilizing.

Phlawless, your question has been raised repeatedly but never answered as far as I know. However, there are lots and lots of internet sites that help. This is not the first that pops up with google search (yogurt making in 1st line, soy milk as exact phrase), but it's kind of scary-thorough: Making vegan yogurt.

Edited by Pontormo (log)