• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yogurt-making @ home

Fat Guy

Batch three didn't come out nearly as nice as batch two. It's more sour, a lot more seperated and very uneven in texture. I'm not sure if that's because I used my own yogurt as a starter, or because the oven I put it into was a bit warm? It's still edible, but not nearly as delicious as my last batch was. I had to add honey to my bowl to make it edible instead of eating it plain.

My minimal procedure eliminates heating the milk in a pan on the stove. In my search for an alternative to the plastic container in the Salton, I discovered that the 32 oz. glass jar from Nathan's Kosher Pickles is the perfect size for the Salton.

- Salton 1 qt. yogurt maker

- 32 oz. jar from Nathan's Kosher Pickles, w/ lid

- Trader Joe's whole milk ($1.49/half-gal.)

- Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt

Pre-heat Salton.

Microwave milk in jar to 114°F (approx. 3 min.) uncovered.

Meanwhile, prep starter: 1/4 C. Greek yogurt + some milk.

Add starter to milk, loosely cover w/ lid, and let go for 6 hrs.

[i noted that the Salton maintains a temp of 104°F.]

Monterey Bay area

Batch three didn't come out nearly as nice as batch two. It's more sour, a lot more seperated and very uneven in texture. I'm not sure if that's because I used my own yogurt as a starter, or because the oven I put it into was a bit warm?

I found that my yogurt got both thicker and less sour when I lowered the temperature. I take a big soup pot, fill it with a water bath at 105°, put in my Mason jars of milk and starter (also at 105°), stick the whole thing in a small cooler, and walk away.

Batch three didn't come out nearly as nice as batch two. It's more sour, a lot more seperated and very uneven in texture. I'm not sure if that's because I used my own yogurt as a starter, or because the oven I put it into was a bit warm?

I found that my yogurt got both thicker and less sour when I lowered the temperature. I take a big soup pot, fill it with a water bath at 105°, put in my Mason jars of milk and starter (also at 105°), stick the whole thing in a small cooler, and walk away.

Do you not heat it to 180F first? I started the first few batches using my crockpot but they turned out kind of slimy. I then read some threads on Chowhound where it said you needed to bring the milk to at least 180 to denature the protein, otherwise the texture is stringy and slimy. I now have using one bowl and the microwave but always make sure to reach 180 and haven't had the problem since. Could there be another reason for the texture issue?

Do you not heat it to 180F first? I started the first few batches using my crockpot but they turned out kind of slimy. I then read some threads on Chowhound where it said you needed to bring the milk to at least 180 to denature the protein, otherwise the texture is stringy and slimy. I now have using one bowl and the microwave but always make sure to reach 180 and haven't had the problem since. Could there be another reason for the texture issue?

I did heat mine to 180 F but still a little slimy.

Also, after boiling mine keeps forming a skin on top. Do you just skim it off?

I have always brought mine to 175-180 (F) then cooled it to about 115 before adding the culture or plain yogurt which I have allowed to come to room temp before stirring into the milk.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I did heat mine to 180 F but still a little slimy.

Also, after boiling mine keeps forming a skin on top. Do you just skim it off?

Try going a few degrees higher. I use a candy thermometer to make sure temp between 180 and 190 and not had the problem since. Just skim off the skin.

Edited by llc45 (log)

I have always brought mine to 175-180 (F) then cooled it to about 115 before adding the culture or plain yogurt which I have allowed to come to room temp before stirring into the milk.

Thanks - I never thought to bring the yogurt to room temp but that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks - I never thought to bring the yogurt to room temp but that makes a lot of sense.

And make sure there is only milk and cultures in your starting yogurt. Any pectin or inulin makes the final product stringy or slimy. I know I've used Stonyfield Farm or something that I didn't realize had a stabilizer in it until after my yogurt came out really slimy.

Do you not heat it to 180F first?  I started the first few batches using my crockpot but they turned out kind of slimy.  I then read some threads on Chowhound where it said you needed to bring the milk to at least 180 to denature the protein, otherwise the texture is stringy and slimy.  I now have using one bowl and the microwave but always make sure to reach 180 and haven't had the problem since.  Could there be another reason for the texture issue?

I heat to 170° and I have never had a problem with sliminess.

I have tried different fat levels in my milk and I have noticed that it makes a big difference in terms of things like skin formation and sticking to the saucepan I heat it in. Whole milk definitely behaves the best. Even if you don't intend to keep making whole milk yogurt, I recommend trying it at least once, to see what differences result.

I have occasionally had a slight problem with my product not getting as firm as I like and I think it is due to the "Ultrapasteurized" process. I add a few drops of calcium chloride (carried by my local health food store but also available online) and the end result is as good as I get when I use raw milk that I pasteurize myself or the non-homogenized milk (cream-top) I buy at Trader Joes. Draining overnight in the fridge will produce a very firm yogurt cheese.

And it is true that one must select a starter that has no additives.

I have been using a commercial culture (from Yolife - A non-dairy mix of dextrose, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus) that I find produces an excellent flavor but I have also had very good results using yogurt.

I like to start with a new culture after three or four times of using one I have on hand. This way I am assured that no stray organisms have invaded the culture.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 months later...

I just bought my second Yogotherm so I can have one in the City and one in the country.

When I first started making yogurt, I added powdered milk. Because I was used to the thickness of yogurts that had stabilizers. Then I bought Seven Stars yogurt and it was noticeably thinner. And now, I prefer thinner yogurt. Tastes more natural and less processed. To me.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Made my first batch yesterday, following McGee's basic directions. A quart of whole milk, heated to about 180-190 degrees, cooled to about 115. Stirred in a couple tablespoons of Sheep's milk plain yogurt from Old Chatham (yummm), wrapped the pyrex bowl w/ plastic lid up in a few kitchen towels and set it into a small insulated bag I happen to have.

About 5 hours later, I had really delicious yogurt! I just put the container in the fridge, and we've been eating it on anything that didn't run away fast enough since. I could strain it, I guess, but for now we're happy with it.

Requires exactly zero equipment except a thermometer. Don't know why I'd ever buy yogurt again; it could not possibly be easier.

Now I need to go over to the topic on making your own Vanilla Extract, so we can have vanilla yogurt with fruit for breakfast all the time....and where's that topic about making your own ricotta...

Lapin: I did the same thing today. I made two glorious quarts with nothing but a thermometer and a couple of towels. I'll make David Leibovitz's Strawberry Frozen Yog with one quart, and use the other for breakfast, baking, and various chicken dishes. (It works beautifully as a substitute for buttermilk when prepping fried chicken.)

And in salad dressings, smoothies, etc. I can't rationalize buying yogurt any more, except for the occasional cup for starter.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Now I need to go over to the topic on making your own Vanilla Extract, so we can have vanilla yogurt with fruit for breakfast all the time....and where's that topic about making your own ricotta...

I make yogurt at least a couple of times a month. One of these days I'm going to use the liquid that weeps out of it in lacto-fermentation recipes.

I've made ricotta once or twice. And quark. And creme fraiche.

It all tastes so much better than what I buy in the store. But, even if it didn't, I would continue making it because I like knowing when it was made and what went in to it.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I make yogurt at least a couple of times a month. One of these days I'm going to use the liquid that weeps out of it in lacto-fermentation recipes.

I have done that. You only need a few tablespoons per quart. It gets things going really fast, for almost instant fermentation gratification!

I have done that. You only need a few tablespoons per quart. It gets things going really fast, for almost instant fermentation gratification!

I've only heard about lacto-fermentation. Never seen it. Never tasted it. Does it give it a sour taste?

When I ordered my Yogotherm, it came with a packet of yogurt culture. Anyone prefer yogurt made with powdered culture over liquid yogurt?

I've only heard about lacto-fermentation. Never seen it. Never tasted it. Does it give it a sour taste?

Old-school kosher dills and sauerkraut are made using lacto-fermentation. It does not require a yogurt/milk-based starter, as the bacteria in question are generally already present on vegetables, but since it's the same bacteria and the same microbial processes as yogurt, you can cross the processes to give your pickling a boost.

Old-school kosher dills and sauerkraut are made using lacto-fermentation. It does not require a yogurt/milk-based starter, as the bacteria in question are generally already present on vegetables, but since it's the same bacteria and the same microbial processes as yogurt, you can cross the processes to give your pickling a boost.

Good to know. Thank you!

When I ordered my Yogotherm, it came with a packet of yogurt culture. Anyone prefer yogurt made with powdered culture over liquid yogurt?

I do, although I use some of the resulting yogurt for additional batches, usually three or four, then I start the next batch with a "fresh" infusion of the yogurt culture.

I order from New England Cheesemaking supply but have also used cultures purchased at the local health food store.

The only purchased yogurt I use for a starter culture are the ones that have no additional ingredients other than milk and the starter and I prefer the "organic" labels as they usually have none of the additional ingredients.

I buy several cultures from NECS because I also like their buttermilk culture and the cheese cultures.

There are other online vendors that I have tried from time to time but have found this vendor to be the most reliable and I like their products.

There is some excellent information on re-culturing your own product at Fias farm

Edited by andiesenji (log)

• 2 months later...

Was making tzatziki today which involved draining both yogurt & salted cucumber. I combined the yogurt whey & the cucumber juice with just a few drops of lemon juice for an insanely refreshing drink. Now that I've found a good use for the whey, I think I'm going to be draining all my yogurt from now on. PS: No need for fancy cheesecloths, a doubled over paper towel inside a sieve works perfectly.

PS: I am a guy.

Maggie I have made it. It comes out delicious, and reminds me of my favorite Bengali sweet Mishti Dahi, which is kind of similar. I used a recipe I found online

http://www.whiteonricecouple.com/vietnamese-recipes-2/vietnamese-yogurt-recipes/

But i usually tweak it... I used milk instead of water, and most times i just leave it to sit where i leave all my home made yogurt to sit which is inside my gas oven. The pilot light seems to make it the right temp. Sweetened yogurt "cures" faster, and is less tolerant of temperature variations. But it is delicious.