• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

X+Y = Sandwich

Mudpuppie

Weirdest sandwich I ever made: peanut butter and jelly on tofu (I was out of bread).

One of my favorites about a decade ago: cashew butter and chocolate sauce on thick whole grain bread.

My favorite indulgent sandwich now: peanut butter, Neufchatel, applesauce, and a sprinkling of cocoa powder, on sourdough or French bread.

Weirdest "sandwich" I eat these days: broiled portabella mushroom, feta cheese, roasted red pepper, arugula, and garlic, on a slice of tofu (no bread).

Worcestershire (sp) sauce sandwiches.

Take a slice of bread, smear with butter. Or toast bread lightly, then smear with butter.

Add Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder to taste.

Eat.

Soba

Damn. beat me to it.

I lived on those during high school. Occassionally trading the worcestershire for A-1 sauce, but always missed the tang of the original.

Growing up, I had no idea what a tamarind was. I thought it was something spicy, and attributed all the zing in worcestershire to that. I think early exposure to worcestshire has led me down the path of Tabasco, wasabi and all the rest.

I think of worcestershire sauce the same way some think of Tabasco -- foo + worcestshire is greater than foo. (Although chipotle Tabasco is making a strong case for the throne).

I like deviled ham. The kind that comes in a can. On white bread, with Miracle Whip. :blush:

I haven't eaten deviled ham in ages. But I used to love it! I think it'd be too salty for me now; which is a shame, because I'm trying to up my consumption of satanic foods.

I like deviled ham.  The kind that comes in a can.  On white bread, with Miracle Whip.  :blush:

I haven't eaten deviled ham in ages. But I used to love it! I think it'd be too salty for me now; which is a shame, because I'm trying to up my consumption of satanic foods.

Maybe it's just that your standards are plummeting.

amanda

Googlista

My brother and I were talking about my post here on the peanutbutter/tuna/cottage cheese/dill pickle transgression of my childhood. He looked at me and said "That is just wrong. That is so wrong. But now peanut butter and flank steak sandwich...that's good!" And the four year old in my life just gave me a reminder that in his world a plain peanut butter sandwich is fine...as long as it's dipped in ketchup.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

My brother used to make lettuce and vanilla ice-cream sandwiches after school. If we were out of ice-cream he would eat peanut butter and vegemite sandwiches.

In summer - if he was really hungry he would eat canned baked bean or spagetti (cold) and potato chip sandwiches - very very soggy!!.

In winter he would put a slice of bread on a plate cover in baked beans, make a "well" in the top and crack in an egg. Place a slice of cheese on top of the egg and then top with another slice of bread. All this was then microwaved until the egg was cooked.

Hence the birth of the PB & M (peanut butter and mustard) sandwich. EW!

My husband eats this all the time. Actually, it's a sandwich on whole wheat bread, with Skippy chunky peanut butter, and then he dips it in French's regular yellow mustard. Vile!

But then again, he would never eat one of my favorites, tuna salad with potato chips. mmmmmm!

In winter he would put a slice of bread on a plate cover in baked beans, make a "well" in the top and crack in an egg. Place a slice of cheese on top of the egg and then top with another slice of bread. All this was then microwaved until the egg was cooked.

are you british?

my (english) boyfriend eats "beans on toast" when i'm not around...egg optional but not microwaved. wouldn't the bread get soggy?

bf makes white toast - firm and heats baked beans in micro tops bread with beans, eats with knife and fork. nastiness in my opinion - but baked beans - from a can anyway, are the only kind of beans i don't like.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

two from my youth

Fried Baloney with Blue cheese on toasted rye

Liverwurst, sliced onions, swiss cheese on rye or pumpernickel

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I have two...and I haven't read most of the posts in this thread, so if either of these is a repeat, i'm both sorry and amazed.

1. Syrup sandwiches...two pieces of white bread and pancake syrup. Kinda like cold pancakes. With syrup.

2. Cucumber and peanut butter. Satisfying in a cool, crispy way.

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau