• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday afternoon recipes

hillvalley

What do you have simmering on Sunday that tastes good all weekend long?

With this cold rut the most country seems to be stuck in I have started craving stews, lentil soups, braised beef, etc. I need ideas, recipes, inspiration. I found nothing that looked good after researching ideas from the Cold weather food thread. Help! It sounds like many of you are eating very well and I want to join you.

I am looking for great, rib sticking recipes that do not involve alcohol and take a few hours to cook.

Thanks

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Shame about no alcohol.

In New Mexico they have a fantastic pork, black bean and green chile stew with beer and lime. I look forward to it every year.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

One of my favorite savory slow-cooker standbys is braised chicken thighs (which I braise in red wine and some reliable store-bought demi) served with polenta (cooked for 2 hrs. minumum) topped with wild mushrooms, a dry blue cheese and fig balsamic. Oh yeah, and something green on the side.

Hot about a kick-butt Chicken and Dumplings? Chili, chili, chili (I love chili). Thai roasted green curry pork. Posole!

I am making chicken and dumplings for a rainy Saturday night supper. Nice suggestion. :rolleyes:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Yesterday's attempt to warm up the house was an "Old Fashioned Beef Stew" taken from Fannie Farmer. Stewing beef, soup bones, water, onion, spices - 2 hours on stove . Add potatoes, more onion and carrots at the end for another 20 minutes.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Sundays tend to be "roast days" in my house, but what about a nice brisket, or ribs, or a nice thick stew?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Any daube-style stew (though they pretty much all have wine)

Cacciatore (I do put wine in there too, but it's optional)

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

i made black bean chili from the greens cookbook yesterday. i had dried black beans i'd gotten this summer through a farmers market. the recipe is involved, but well worth the extra effort of making powder.

next time i think i'll source some mexican oregano instead of the "plain" stuff i have. it was excellent, but i did find - though i covered amply with water - soaked the dried beans for about 16 hours (changing water and stirring) some of the beans were lovely and creamy - some were harder - not too hard to eat, but hard enough to be noticable. i cooked the beans in a 5 Qt dutch oven (2 c. dry) - once i added everything, there remained about 3 inches of room in the pot. total cooking time was just under 2 hours.

did i not cook it long enough? why do the beans cook so unevenly?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train