• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellow Tail not afraid of anyone

Craig Camp

This is an amazing success story. I can not understand why this brand, with a not great package, has caught hold? I am sure they have become the new comfort factor wines like KJ, Beringer White Zin, Sutter Home, etc.

I have never met a miserly wine lover

This is an amazing success story. I can not understand why this brand, with a not great package, has caught hold? I am sure they have become the new comfort factor wines like KJ, Beringer White Zin, Sutter Home, etc.

Have you tasted it? It's very good for a $5.00 wine -- as good as many of the $11.00. Obviously, it's probably not something that most wine people here would go for but for us lowly sorts, it's a good value for the money. I think it's rocketed past the others due to its extremely low price. People are generally happy when they find a $5.00 wine that is as good or better than the others, and Yellowtail, IMHO, definitely trumps Sutter Home.

Edited by claire797 (log)

No kidding. And I've even seen it on sale at World Market for $4. It's very drinkable, and at that price, what's not to like? It's certainly got a 33.2 percent share of MY market.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Have you tasted it? It's very good for a $5.00 wine -- as good as many of the $11.00. Obviously, it's probably not something that most wine people here would go for but for us lowly sorts, it's a good value for the money. I think it's rocketed past the others due to its extremely low price. People are generally happy when they find a $5.00 wine that is as good or better than the others, and Yellowtail, IMHO, definitely trumps Sutter Home.

Claire797, Thanks for your reply and I have tried the wines and find them underwhelming. I think if you asked a manager at your favorite wine store for an alternative at the same price point and better quality, she/he would do their best to find you something a bit more appealing.

This of course, imho.

May I ask why you first picked up the wine(s) to try?

Was it a recommendation from someone who had the wine?

The stores recommendation?

Its position in the store? Stacked near the cash registers?

The label?

The price?

Or? :hmmm:

Thanks,

Phil

. . . I think if you asked a manager at your favorite wine store for an alternative at the same price point and better quality, she/he would do their best to find you something a bit more appealing.

I find this amusing, because I found Yellow Tail when the wine guy at a local store saw the bottle of Rosemount in my hand, and suggested YT as a less expensive, better alternative. (It occurs to me that there's a clue to YT's success in the wine guy's predation.)

I'm not a cheerleader for YT. In the whole world of wine, it doesn't qualify as terrific. But I do think it's a good value -- in my book, anything drinkable at $5 is a good value. Certainly I drink my share when the budget's tight. However, it's not better than almost anything Rosemount produces (IMO) -- and I've since found a new wine guy.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Claire797, Thanks for your reply and I have tried the wines and find them underwhelming. I think if you asked a manager at your favorite wine store for an alternative at the same price point and better quality, she/he would do their best to find you something a bit more appealing.

I have gone to the manager many times. Sometimes, he's helped me pick winners and sometimes he's steered me toward duds. I actually like Yellowtail better than some of the more expensive plonk so when I'm plonk shopping, it's an easy choice. Obviously, I don't buy it to impress friends. However, if I'm not feeling cash-happy and am looking for a red to match some take-out pizza or something equally low-brow, I'll buy a bottle of Yellowtail.

You pointed out the "comfort" factor. That's a definite factor in my choosing Yellowtail. I usually pick YT when I'm tired or stressed and just don't want to think about choosing something more interesting or taking chances on something new. And keep in mind the price. $5.00-$6.00 is a *very* low price point. If I hated it -- as I do Sutter Home, Two Buck Chuck or the other (IMHO) vile offerings I've tried in that price range, I wouldn't buy it. But I liked it.

This of course, imho.

May I ask why you first picked up the wine(s) to try?

Was it a recommendation from someone who had the wine?

The stores recommendation?

Its position in the store? Stacked near the cash registers?

The label?

The price?

Or?  :hmmm:

Word of Mouth. My brother-in-law said it was his "every day" wine. I trust his opinion and took note. Didn't bother to buy a bottle. A few weeks later, another friend whose opinion I trusted mentioned it. I still avoided it thinking it was probably as bad as all the others. I broke down and bought it one evening to take to an event where (to be honest) nobody really cared about wine. In fact, I think it was hosted by the same person who said she liked Yellowtail Chardonnay. I tried the Chardonnay expecting it to be on par with Lindemann's or one of the other cheap Aussie wines and was pleasantly surprised. It was better.

For whatever reason, it exceeded my expectations and my perception (at that moment in time) of it being good stuck around. The next week I was in in World Market picking out a few other Yellowtail varieties.

So no. It's not the best wine in the world, but it's pretty good wine for the price.

Edited by claire797 (log)

Just to answer the same question -- Where did I first hear of it?

As opposed to your intimation that I was duped by clever placement in the wine shop; or some such thing...

I was at a casual dinner at the home of a close friend. There were about 20 people. The hostess served a traditional lasagne, and buckets of wine. It was a night of loose laughter among friends. Several people (including me) commented that the wine was quite pleasant and very drinkable. Nobody said, "Wow! OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS FABULOUS WINE? YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE!!"

Our hostess got out the bottle and said, "It is nice, isn't it? I got it at World Market, and it's only $5." We all agreed that it was a great little table wine for casual evenings with good friends gathered around a fireplace and sharing chitchat over a pan of lasagne.

I don't think Claire ever intended to imply anything else.

And I, for one, agree with her wholeheartedly.

In fact, I think I'll go have a glass of it right now.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Just to answer the same question -- Where did I first hear of it?

As opposed to your intimation that I was duped by clever placement in the wine shop; or some such thing...

I was at a casual dinner at the home of a close friend. There were about 20 people. The hostess served a traditional lasagne, and buckets of wine. It was a night of loose laughter among friends. Several people (including me) commented that the wine was quite pleasant and very drinkable. Nobody said, "Wow! OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS FABULOUS WINE? YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE!!"

Our hostess got out the bottle and said, "It is nice, isn't it? I got it at World Market, and it's only $5." We all agreed that it was a great little table wine for casual evenings with good friends gathered around a fireplace and sharing chitchat over a pan of lasagne.

I don't think Claire ever intended to imply anything else.

And I, for one, agree with her wholeheartedly.

In fact, I think I'll go have a glass of it right now.

Dear Jaymes,

I hope I was not insulting about the subject. I was just trying to learn more about the phenomena of this wine in the USA.

As far as I am concerned, I am happy that people drink wine of any type or quality. I feel this beverage, which I love and sell, needs to be supported at all levels of quality and price.

To me there is really no bad wine produced anywhere (except wines infected by TCA) and that whatever you choose and like is up to you. Wine is a subjective beverage and many times we forget that.

Thanks and again, I apologize if I have insulted anyone.

Phil

Dear Phil,

Well, I DO think your "list" as to how you suspected we were lured into the purchase was a little patronizing. And as well the comment that you were "underwhelmed." I am certain that Claire was not "overwhelmed" (or even "whelmed" for that matter) by Yellow Tail either. She just said that she thinks it's a good value and works nicely as an everyday "house wine."

Defending a cheap wine is always difficult. They are never going to have the marks of greatness of the wonderful ones. But after my friend recommended Yellow Tail as a perfectly drinkable and affordable wine, I went and bought a case of the Cab at $3.99 a bottle. I'm not sure of your budget, but mine is not expansive. It's been, for me, the lap of luxury to have so much enjoyable wine around that I can enjoy a glass, or two, or three any damn time I wish.

But thanks for getting back to us about this. It was kind and gracious.

I've enjoyed several Austrialian wines that were "cheap" and easy to drink. Alice White Chardonnay was only $4 when I first tried it. It was easy, inexpensive and good for an everyday wine. I think I tried YT because of a display - and the price. The fact that it was Australian helped, since I've enjoyed a lot of well priced wines from the likes of Penfold and Rosemont. I bought it again because it was decent and well priced.

The owner of a small local wine shop said I would "get over it" when I said I enjoyed Austrialian wines. :shock: I enjoy wine and these do not intimidate me. We've all got to start somewhere!

KathyM

As I stated in the thread on 2 Buck Chuck, my fave inexpensive wine right now is Yellow Tail Shiraz. I keep several bottles on hand and I have given it, unabashedly, as a hostess gift on several occasions. It's drinkable on its own and goes well with food.

YT seems to have tapped into a good strategy--decent product, priced reasonably.

As I have said, I am amazed at their success and I was just trying to get a feel as to how some wine lovers commenced their consuming of this winery's wines. I hope I did not offend? Just trying to be a diligent student of the wine market.

Phil

These wines are unoffensive and easily drinkable. I wouldn't exactly say they are complex or have tremendous character. But for $4 unoffensive works for me.

I keep a bottle or two around if I only want a glass and my wife isn't drinking, or to cook with.

Msk

These wines are unoffensive and easily drinkable. I wouldn't exactly say they are complex or have tremendous character. But for $4 unoffensive works for me.

I keep a bottle or two around if I only want a glass and my wife isn't drinking, or to cook with.

Msk

Msk,

Thanks for the message re Yellow Tail.

It is an amazing wine phenomena and astounds those of us in the wine business.

Thanks, again.

Phil

Don't beat me up on this but I first noticed Yellow Tail because of the label. It looked quirky and fun and for the price...of course I would try it. I have no problem with YT. Do I drink it every night? No. But if I had ten dollars to my name I would buy a fresh baguette, a little brie and some Yellow Tail. :smile:

Don't beat me up on this but I first noticed Yellow Tail because of the label. It looked quirky and fun and for the price...of course I would try it. I have no problem with YT. Do I drink it every night? No. But if I had ten dollars to my name I would buy a fresh baguette, a little brie and some Yellow Tail. :smile:

Raynickben,

The baquette, brie and wine works for me.

Phil

But if I had ten dollars to my name I would buy a fresh baguette, a little brie and some Yellow Tail. :smile:

Boy does that sum it up.

yeah, its label is great.