• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Bars in NJ

adegiulio

my friend has gone to lateral, so my info is second hand. but he says they have a selection of 10 or so wines by the glass. from what i heard, the wines aren't exactly cutting-edge, though.

The Stage House Inn in Scotch Plains has somewhat of a wine bar these days, doesn't it?

i know it doesn't fit into the standard definition of "wine bar", but the Brass Rail in hoboken has a large bar with a better-than-average list of wines by the glass, and a better-than-average list overall.

Simple question, are there any decent wine bars in NJ, specifically northern NJ?

It's hard to determine your definition of a "Wine bar". In NJ, the difficult and expensive nature of obtaining liquor licenses does not lend itself to specialization in wine--

If you are thinking of the Enoteca-type place that is ubiquitous in Italy, you will need to go

to Newark/Liberty Airport!! :smile:

It's hard to determine your definition of a "Wine bar". In NJ, the difficult and expensive nature of obtaining liquor licenses does not lend itself to specialization in wine--

Excellent point. I just thought of a place though. Its in Franklin Lakes next to the Market Basket. I think it is called Endless Vine or something like that. I didnt think of it at first because they are really a wine store, but there is a bar in the back. I've never sat down for a drink though. Perhaps next time I am there I will check it out. In any case, its still not what I would think of as a "Wine Bar".

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

There seems to be some skirting around the definition of a wine bar. Is there a universal definition? And I wonder, why does the difficulty in obtaining a liquor license necessarily limit the presence of so-called wine bars?

There seems to be some skirting around the definition of a wine bar. Is there a universal definition?

my definition consists of a place with a bar and a bunch of decent wines by the glass and a decent list on top of that. not easy to find in northern nj for some reason.

Lou, any chance you can relocate from Morris County to Wayne?? The guys at Fascino keep telling me to check out your place, but it is quite a haul from here... :angry: We'll get there eventually I guess....

Anthony

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Lou, any chance you can relocate from Morris County to Wayne?? The guys at Fascino keep telling me to check out your place, but it is quite a haul from here... :angry: We'll get there eventually I guess....

Anthony

Get there!! It's worth the drive and you can always sleep at Fascino's!! :rolleyes:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Anthony

Hate to say it but from Wayne we're 20 minutes if that. Probably the same distance to Montclair. Tell the boys from Facino we're coming. Most likely after Valentine's day.

Tommy, Rock, Ganz, Rail, Rosie, etc. I think we're due for another dinner. I'll bring some wine. Rock's goota drive though.

If the boys from Facino have been up by me I wish I'd known. As we all know, egulleteers always introduce themselves after dining.

Right Suzy :raz:

Personally, I don't think there is a "wine bar" in the state of NJ. With the increased knowledge of wine, most of the restaurants I sell to/interact with have at least 8-20 wines by the glass. Whereas, going back to the 80s, the wine bars in NYC, SF, LA, Chicago, etc. would have 30-100 wines by the glass, with multiple tastings and pairings(Chard of the world, fragrant reds, etc) for the consumer to taste. If there is a wine bar of this size/scope in the NJ, I am not aware of it.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Lou, any chance you can relocate from Morris County to Wayne?? The guys at Fascino keep telling me to check out your place, but it is quite a haul from here... :angry:  We'll get there eventually I guess....

Anthony

Hate to say it but from Wayne we're 20 minutes if that. Probably the same distance to Montclair. Tell the boys from Facino we're coming. Most likely after Valentine's day.

Tommy, Rock, Ganz, Rail, Rosie, etc. I think we're due for another dinner. I'll bring some wine. Rock's goota drive though.

If the boys from Facino have been up by me I wish I'd known. As we all know, egulleteers always introduce themselves after dining.

Right Suzy :raz:

I'm in.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

There seems to be some skirting around the definition of a wine bar. Is there a universal definition? And I wonder, why does the difficulty in obtaining a liquor license necessarily limit the presence of so-called wine bars?

The problem is, in the state of New Jersey, It's an all or none situation.

For example, in California, a separate on site service Beer and Wine License can be bought independly of a full service liquor license for around $600 (last time I checked) and are available at will (provided one is not a fellon and can show legally where the money is coming from to purchase it).

In New Jersey, there is no separation or necessarily a distinction between the two. An so, if one is available, one buys the "Full" liquor license. Then of course, since one is paying $250,000 plus or minus for it, why just sell wine. As any restaurant will probably tell you, it's the "liquor" where the money is.

Sorry Lou, Ryan and I haven't tried it American Grill yet. My mother was there a while back and liked it alot. I've never been to a restaurant that she liked and didn't like it myself. She's got quite a taste for food. Also, I talk restaurants with many of my customers and always like to find out where else they frequent. Any who have been to yours have been very happy. We will get there one day....you open on Sundays?

The ONLY wine bar that I am aware of in NJ (a wine bar is not just a bar at the front of a restaurant that serves a few wines by the glass, IMO) is Northstar in New Brunswick. They have at least 30 wines on tap nightly. Not so fond of the food, but great as a wine bar.

The ONLY wine bar that I am aware of in NJ (a wine bar is not just a bar at the front of a restaurant that serves a few wines by the glass, IMO) is Northstar in New Brunswick. They have at least 30 wines on tap nightly. Not so fond of the food, but great as a wine bar.

True, Northstar does have a wine bar and I forgot about it as I have been disappointed in their wine selections in the past.

I have never met a miserly wine lover

• 1 year later...