• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Weather Food

Bond Girl

Tam, I like your idea re: using the braised meat for a Ragu on Pasta.

Last night we had some left over braised brisket. I used bloody Mary mix (extra spicey Tabasco brand) as my braising liquid. We sliced it up and had it on toasted Chiabata rolls. Really good! :wub:

I love spicy when the weather is sub-zero. Go in for mexican, rich italian marinaras and Indian dishes.

I also bake quite a bit. Pot-pies, quiches, calzones, breads and cookies make the menu a lot more when it's sub zero. Oh and bread pudding. The best when it's freezing outside.

Welcome to eGullet Knicke! This is not fancy, but I layer leftover braised meat slices in a shallow baking pan and pour popover batter over the top of it. Bake and serve with gravy. You can even do this in a ramekin for a single serving. Make your roommate happy with some of the plain popovers too. Here is my Mom's recipe:

2 eggs

1 c milk

1 c flour

1/2 t. salt

Mix it all up to a batter, don't worry about lumps. Pour over braised meat slices (or into greased muffin cups). Put into a cold oven. Set oven to 450. Bake 25 minutes until golden. Don't open the oven till done or they will fall.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad