• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most unused food related gift item?

phaelon56

This is a cross post from the Coffee and Tea forum. Now that we're in the post holiday season and folks have been sharing comments on what food or cooking related items they received as gifts.... let's talk about the duds. I'm becoming convinced that really cheap espresso machines may top the list for items received and never used (or used once with no success and then put away indefinitely). That said.... surely there are other "Gee that looks cool - he or she would love that thing" items.

All of my friends, colleagues and others I know quickly become aware that I'm a coffee fanatic and espresso hound once they get to know me. I can barely count the number of times that someone has said "Oooh... I have an espreso machine I got as a ________ (insert occasion here) gift. I've never used it. Do you want it? After all.... you're into espresso, right?".

We've all seen these - they run anywhere from $30 - $70, utilize simple steam pressure to produce a facsimile of espresso and are way too labor intensive for the average non-coffee fanatic to get involved with using. I'm not referring to the low end espresso machines that have a pump along with a switch for espresso or steam. Machines of that type, usually in the $80 to $100 range, are not great but if used properly they can make a passable cappuccino. Instead, I refer to the devices where one must add water, screw down a pressure cap, wait for steam pressure to build and be very careful about not opening the cap before pressure has gone down.

Sooo... how about it.... is this quite possibly the world's most unused gift? I have been offered at least a dozen or so of these in the past few years (slight exaggeration but many) and not one of them had ever been used.

Gawd. I had one of those things. The ex loved it. The ex kept it!

I was so excited when we got it, real espresso! My very own cappy every morning....

First cup, I was like.... ummmm, where's the crema??? What is this crap? Did we do it wrong? Ex was like... what's crema?

It did a nice job of frothing milk I guess.

I'd love to get one that makes the good stuff, how much will that set me back?

My most unused food related gift item is a bread maker.

Whatta load of crap that makes! Nasty, dry, square with a beater up its *** loaves.

I only use it maybe once a year to knead pizza dough, if I'm feeling particularly lazy. I really should just junk it, for the space it takes up in the cabinet.

Heh. Want a pre-owned bread screwer upper?

Actually... yeah.... I'd love a pre-owned bread-screwer-upper. My brother got one for Christmas and he's been experiementing with the process of mixing, kneading and proofing in the machine but baking on the oven. few of the machiens can actually bake a really god loaf but they seem to do pretty wel on the mxing and kneading. I don't eat much bread but I'd love one for making pizza dough.

I think you may be onto something here - bread machines may well end up toping the list.

Cheapest realistic entry level for an espresso machine and grinder combo that will produce quality results with practice is about $350 - $380. An investment of $700-$800 will do better and laying out about $1,000 - $1,300 will get you a setup that's good for life and much easier to get consistently good results with. I'll start a thread in Coffee and Tea.

I use my bread machine all the time - both of them. Conversely, I never ever use my rice cooker. Or the stupid mini chopper thing someone gave me.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

<snip> Cheapest realistic entry level for an espresso machine and grinder combo that will produce quality results with practice is about $350 - $380.  An investment of $700-$800 will do better and laying out about $1,000 - $1,300 will get you a setup that's good for life and much easier to get consistently good results with. <snip>

That's about what I've figured, around a grand for something decent. My kids gave me a Krups a few years ago but I've pined for something a little more versatile. Maybe a Rancilio Silvia and a Rocky or Mazzer Mini grinder. Espresso techniques and the attendant equipment certainly creates a rash of controversy. I suppose it's not any different than getting stuck on one kind of fishing lure or any other sport/hobby endeavor. I do roast my own beans but that's not very difficult. It would be nice to, one day, pull a God shot.

In keeping with the intent of this thread, my Krups sits mostly unused now. The same can be said of my Cuisinart food processor. I find I can do nearly everything with my 10-inch chefs knife that the food processor will do, and enjoy it more! :biggrin:

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

It would be nice to, one day, pull a God shot.

I won't ask.

I'd like to nominate the S'mores making kit. What a bad idea on every count. A) S'mores require a campfire – there's no alternative. B) Do children really need another sugar/caffeine delivery system? This was a gift from my SIL – an otherwise bright and lovely person. It's still sitting in the box. We've decided to send her 2-year-old a toy drum for his birthday.

I won't ask.

I'd like to nominate the S'mores making kit. What a bad idea on every count. A) S'mores require a campfire – there's no alternative. B) Do children really need another sugar/caffeine delivery system? This was a gift from my SIL – an otherwise bright and lovely person. It's still sitting in the box. We've decided to send her 2-year-old a toy drum for his birthday.

:biggrin: That reminds me that my brother used to buy every noisy toy he could find for my son when he was little. When he finally had his own daughter I responded by sending her every large toy that required blowing up :biggrin: plus frilly dressess that had to be carefully ironed. We've gotten over that. Now we send each other gourmet food certificates.

I saw the s'mores making kit. Duh.

Marlene

I have one of those "steam toy" espresso makers. I realize that makes me a coffee poseur . However, we do use ours. Infrequently, yes, but we do use it. It sees action in the winter months when we want something stronger than hot chocolate. It ain't espresso or even a real latte, but we let the thing hiss and gurgle away, steam some heavy cream and haul out the big mugs.

Which we then fill almost halfway with Tia Maria .

The "espresso" and cream go on top of that.

Not bad at all.

As for the winner of the Most Unused Food Related Gift Item award?

Two words: cheese ball

:blink:

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

For me, the most useless gift given me was The George Forman Grill...and the large version at that.

To appease my husband (whose mother gave it to me) I tried two times to make something edible on it. Hamburgers and Chicken breast. The Sahara has more moisture than they did.

don't get me started on espresso makers.

my roomamte has this stupid thing taking up outlet and counter space in the kitchen. i'd much rather have the toaster there - something we use, but she insists that she will someday use the damn espresso maker. i have a sneaking suspicion she insists on taking up counter psace iwht it, because it appears "cool".

I won't ask.

We got one of those for Christmas. My 6 year old opened it before I had a chance to consider "re-gifting" it. :blush: He was thrilled. I found out you can toast marshmallows on metal skewer over an electric stove element, though. What was worse than that was a "Coca Cola gift set." It had two Coca Cola glasses, a smallish aluminum "serving tray" and a smallish bag of off-brand pretzels. Not even any Coca Cola! Last year we got an "Oreo gift set" which had four Oreo mugs, 4 packs of cocoa beverage mix and a small, snack-sized bag of mini-Oreos. I hate getting those mugs. I feel guilty throwing them out, but there is no way I am keeping them. I hate having stacks of mugs/glasses that don't match. Even if I had a dozen of them, who really wants an Oreo mug?

Oh, hey! What about beef sticks? We got six of them this year. SIX!

But it's the thought that counts and I really, really do appreciate the thought. I feel blessed to be remembered.

For me, the most useless gift given me was The George Forman Grill...and the large version at that. 

To appease my husband (whose mother gave it to me) I tried two times to make something edible on it.  Hamburgers and Chicken breast.  The Sahara has more moisture than they did.

I'm with you on health grills. And even the large ones are not big enough to cook for four people.

Another quite useless item I received was a 'mini-fondue' set, which sits on a tea-light candle. It came complete with hard marshmallows and 1% cocoa chocolate. Like a crappier version of the s'mores kit.

Edited by Naomi (log)

I won't ask.

Sorry to be so cryptic. It's not a slam or disrespectful. It originated in the newsgroup alt.coffee. Here is an explanation of the God shot. :smile:

That is worthy of a whole topic of its own :cool:

My wife and I just received a gift for Christmas that really was a great idea, unfortunately, the executaion left a little to be desired. we received personalized wine gift bags This was very thoughtful. Wine is important to my wife and I and we are blessed with a well-stocked cellar. In adition, we frequently bring wine as a hostess gift or for a special occassion. The only problem is what the bags say:

Here!

John and Kitty

Here! as in, "here, take this because I had to give you something!" I can think of any number of things that would have been better and more appropriate, such as "Cheers!", "Enjoy!', "A Gift for You!", etc. I really do like the thought of it, however. We will use them when we go over to the giver's house :laugh:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Some folks use the phrase godshot instead. Kind of separates it from the specificaly religously connected imlication and simply identifies it as an espresso shot so memorable and superior that it is raised far above the ordinary and sits in a pantheon. I'm curious as to what terms have been coined to describe other remarkable food and beverage items? I've made "killer ribs" on a few occasions but apart from the now ubiquitous terms like evanescent, incadescent, sublime, ethereal etc.... how does one categorize a food or beverage items that is highly elevated above the ordinary?

I have one of those "steam toy" espresso makers. I realize that makes me a coffee poseur . However, we do use ours.

No... no.... not my intent to suggest this at all. I've used on in a pinch and it made a passable very strong coffee beverage that was enjoyable in the right context. However... if you make some "espresso" with this device and then dance around the room proclaiming yourself to be the "coffeemeister" or the "espresso king" whilst telling me how uncool I am.... I'll call you a poseur :laugh:

I'm thinking that the Tia Maria and half 'n half deal sound mucho delicioso. We have a small cheap superauto espresso machien here in the office. It is also unable to make real espresso, just like the steam toys can't, but I make a really strong cup of regular coffee with it, mix in some Swiss Miss and just love the heck out of my psuedo mocha.

I love cheese balls and beef sticks - wanna send me yours?

Not really a gift, but my mom gave me her bread machine because she never uses it anymore. I thought I'd have fun using it. That was a few months ago, and I haven't used it yet. The directions are daunting enough.

I used to use the crock pot my mom gave me (also a hand me down), but I find it easier to just make stews on the stove. It feels more like cooking that way :biggrin:

I won't ask.

Sorry to be so cryptic. It's not a slam or disrespectful. It originated in the newsgroup alt.coffee. Here is an explanation of the God shot. :smile:

No, I didn't take it as disrespectful in the least. It's just that, having never encountered it before, I conjured up all sorts of entertaining imagery – you know, omnipotence, lightning bolts, cosmic practical jokes, that sort of thing.

Sort of like when a long-ago boyfriend stayed up all night Christmas Eve doing coke with his friends; walking home Christmas morning past a church full of carol-singing cherubs, he (psychotically guilt-ridden) slipped on ice and broke his arm. That'd be a God Shot.

For the record, I'm not remotely religious and envision The Powers That Be as a crowd of overworked cosmic pranksters.

Spelling. :wacko:

Edited by GG Mora (log)

[sort of like when a long-ago boyfriend stayed up all night Christmas Eve doing coke with his friends; walking home Christmas morning past a church full of carol-singing cherubs, he (psychotically guilt-ridden) slipped on ice and broke his arm. That'd be a God Shot.

:laugh:

Marlene

Last year we got an "Oreo gift set" which had four Oreo mugs, 4 packs of cocoa beverage mix and a small, snack-sized bag of mini-Oreos.

The hubby and I got an Oreo gift set this year... two mugs and four snack-size bags of regular-sized Oreos.

Last year, we got a Rice Krispie Treats maker: a plastic tub with a plastic divider-type insert that cut the treats into six squares. You know, if you don't have a knife handy, but do have the RK Treats maker.

Come to think of it, I think it was from the same people... :hmmm:

My brother got one for Christmas and he's been experiementing with the process of mixing, kneading and proofing in the machine but baking on the oven.

:rolleyes: I thought of the proofing aspect, but my sourdough loaves are just too big for this POS bread maker. I just use a big ceramic bowl and a tea towel and set that baby in the oven. Easier to clean too. Maybe I just need to learn to make smaller batches of dough :shock:

I echo Marlene on mini-choppers, and I would also like to nominate garlic presses. I have three, all received as gifts and none ever used.

:shock: My garlic press is my oldest, and perhaps most used tool. Perhaps my favorite christmas gift yet, as it was given to me the year I moved out and had my own kitchen. To me it was like the end all be all of being a gourmet cook. I was young, but getting that and some all clad, really triggered my development and interest in finer cooking. Weird, huh? That sucker is going on 11 years now, and I will cry if it ever bites the dust, but since its all metal, I bet its got a few years left on it.

My niece got a steamer from her brother. This is no ordinary steamer. For starters, it's the size of a large rice cooker. It is three-tiered, supposedly so that you can steam various food items separately at the same time. The thought of all that steamed food at one meal makes me gag...She has yet to open the box.

I have an idea....I think we need to set up an egullet swap thread. Receiver pays the postage, donor gets more counter space!!