• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which steak knife set?

CRUZMISL

Are the Henkels serrated? Feh. You will rip meat to shreds, not slice cleanly through it. And you won't be able to sharpen them.

Have you ever held a Global? I can't see if these are like the regular Globals. There is something peculiar (IMO) about the bolster; a very sharp angle between the handle and the blade, which can be quite uncomfortable.

If I were you, I'd keep looking.

I have the Henkels serrated, they are ok, but not great. I'm looking at the Wusthof Steak knives now.

Like these

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

The idea of spending such sums on steak knives seems ridiculous to me. I'd rather make the investment in the steak. Hey, I just got a dozen triple-riveted, full-tang cheapo stamped serrated jobs for $18. They cut meat, they don't tear it. Decent ergonomics and balance. They may not impress, but they work. And when they stop working, I'll buy new set for $18 + inflation.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

The idea of spending such sums on steak knives seems ridiculous to me. I'd rather make the investment in the steak. Hey, I just got a dozen triple-riveted, full-tang cheapo stamped serrated jobs for $18. They cut meat, they don't tear it. Decent ergonomics and balance. They may not impress, but they work.

I suppose. But they'll match the Wusthof set of knives I'm hoping to get for Christmas :biggrin:

Marlene

QUOTE (rlibkind @ Dec 17 2003, 09:29 PM)

The idea of spending such sums on steak knives seems ridiculous to me. I'd rather make the investment in the steak. Hey, I just got a dozen triple-riveted, full-tang cheapo stamped serrated jobs for $18. They cut meat, they don't tear it. Decent ergonomics and balance. They may not impress, but they work.

I suppose. But they'll match the Wusthof set of knives I'm hoping to get for Christmas

I have a 12 piece set of the new Wusthof 'Mignon' pattern on order. I expect this set will pass on to at least 2 future generations and make me very happy when I use them. Go ahead Marlene and order your Wusthof and don't say 'I suppose'. Your decision is the right one and should not be subject to ridicule. -Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

A friend of mine found a cheap deal online and I ordered a set of the Henckels with the metal handles for $19.99 no shipping fee. They arrived promptly...I opened them to check them out and decided to give them to my husband in his stocking. They look like glorified butter knives...will see how they work Christmas night.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

. Go ahead Marlene and order your Wusthof and don't say 'I suppose'. Your decision is the right one and should not be subject to ridicule. -Dick

Right you are Dick! :biggrin: I'm ordering :smile:

Marlene

Professional Cutlery Direct has a large selection of steak knives...Forschner, Global, Henckels, LamsonSharp, Messermeister, Sabatier, Thiers-Issard, & Wusthof-Trident.

Be aware that at least in the Wusthof line PCD does not list the larger blades that are more suitable to larger people(read male). they will order for you but you have to know what wusthof has available. -Dick

Ginsu.

When they get dull, buy another set for a dollar on eBay. :cool:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I was perusing a Wine Enthusiast sale catalog the other day and ran across some Laguiole Steak Knife sets, 6 for $50 on sale, regularly $60. They come with SS handles, Pearlized ($40/$50) or Black ($40/$50).

Also the Chateau Laguiole Palissander Steak Knife Set of 6, regularly $110, on sale for $100. I don't know if the sale is still on.

They're sleek looking knives though.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Frankly, I use the inexpensive Crate & Barrel steak knives that match the rest of my everyday silverware. They're serrated, which is all you really need from any steak knife.

If your steak's tough enough that you need a Laguiole or Wusthof to cut it, you've got steak problems to attend to first!

That said, fancy steak knives will certainly impress your guests, if that's the goal.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth