• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kentucky fried chicken & strawberry shortcake

torakris

• 3 weeks later...

My small office had a mini Christmas party, put together very spur of the moment. This is what we had to offer! Both of the cakes were purchased at Isetan in Shinjuku (which, incidentally has been recently renovated and looks great!). The chocolate cake was from Antenor and the white cake was from Clover. They were about ¥3500 each. That explains why champagne is missing and the accompaniments look very unluxurious in comparison! :biggrin: I love Christmas cake!! :wub:

gallery_31440_3297_204249.jpg

p.s. that mess back there isn't mine!

That snowman is adorable! What was inside? Is is from a store or homemade?

I wish I could claim credit for such a cute creation! :biggrin: I got it at a Trandor bakery in Nagasaki. It had soft bread on the inside, with no filling. It was actually pretty good and not too sweet.

gallery_23727_2765_21259.jpg

This was my christmas cake this year. It was my first time to make it and my first time to eat it. I think it turned out well for a first try. The cake itself is a chiffon cake with strawberries, cream, and freeze dried strawberries in the middle and on top. I used fake cream though. It is more stable and so much cheaper. Helen helped me fine tune the chiffon over on the chiffon forum.

We had roast chicken too. I made it on the rotisserie in my oven. I used the zuni cafe method, came out well. Korea town had really cheap chickens (700¥) for use in samgetang. so it was a delicious and economical christmas as well.

That cake looks very cute! Hope you had no left overs!

Our Christmas cake was similar, but with a chocolate sponge, and grated chocolate and strawberries in the filling, and eaten on Christmas Eve. We used regular whipping cream though - there is chocolate fake cream available, guaranteed to take the festivity out of any occasion.

So what was inside the snowman pastry? Is it...some type of doughnut??

We had a turkey for the first time ever in Japan, just happened to have them in the supermarket this year. I "harvested" the entire half-dozen cranberries from my tiny cranberry bush, and made an apple/cranberry/kumquat sauce, along with stuffing. My kids don't really mind what they have, as long as it involves gravy and roast potatoes.

I spent Christmas in the kotatsu with a newly acquired out-of-print book on regional New Year specialties from around Japan, studying up what to cook for New Year :laugh: !

Very low key Christmas at our house this year. I still can't get used to eating Christmas cakes but we did make some Christmas cookies and I let some of my older English students decorate them. It was a huge hit and I will definitely be doing it again next year.

As we are off to Narita in less than 4 hours (for a week in Guam) our Christmas dinner was made with what was left in our refrigerator. Thus we ate ebi-fry (deep fried shrimp) plated with some shredded cabbage and avocado slices. Served with a quick cocktail sauce (ketchup and horseradish) and a salad made with chopped celery and a couple black olives.

This was the year of stollens for us, I received 3 stollens on Christmas eve from students plus various cookies/mini cakes. I am glad all of this keeps well as they won't be eaten until after the new year. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"