• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

** VOTE FOR eGullet.com in the TOP 100 Culinary Sites! **

Click on the link to vote!

(edited link)

http://chef2chef.net/rank/inter2.shtml

We are currently ranked around #32, this link will bring you directly to the page our site is listed on.

You are allowed to vote once every 24 hours.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Not sure if it lets you vote more than 1 time from any particular computer.

But theres no excuse! Vote! Vote! :)

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Yeah you can actually vote once per day. Per computer.

Its actually 1 vote per IP address per day, because if you use dial up every time you dial in you get a different IP address. Us high-speed cable modem and DSL users only get to vote once a day :)

Of course these are the "top 100 culinary sites" in the sense that these are the top 100 culinary sites who ask people to go take a look at this chef2chef.net website. :)  

I mean the food police aren't monitoring the results to shut down anyone who slips too many places in the rankings, right?  Do you think they send out "Chef of the Month TV Star Martin Yan" as an enforcer? ;)

I'm just kidding. I mean if it helps people from other places find this one there can't be any harm in it, right?

So I can't cheat by "visiting" from each of my three different PCs.  Bummer.

So you want to kick thatsmyhome.com's butt... huh?  They're dead meat!!!

But seriously... Jason, maybe your friend fredlet, who designed eGullet, can sell these guys some design advice... the site looks like they threw the kitchen sink in as well as everything else.  Not to mention the hokey "Christmas lights" along the top of their main page... and that spooky Martin Yan picture staring down at you from every page. :o

(Edited by jhlurie at 2:34 am on Dec. 2, 2001)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

But seriously... Jason, maybe your friend fredlet, who designed eGullet, can sell these guys some design advice... the site looks like they threw the kitchen sink in as well as everything else.

No comment. :)

Quote: from robert brown on 10:43 pm on Dec. 1, 2001

But look, Rosie's number 11. Rosie, how do you do it?!!

(Edited by robert brown at 10:44 pm on Dec. 1, 2001)

I've been there a long time and I have paid off and begged alot of people to vote for me.  The trick is for eGullet to get to the first page. With that being said--when you vote for eGullet PLEASE also vote for me. Also--you do know that both sites deserve to be voted BEST. Thanks and where should I send the check! ;)

http://chef2chef.net/rank/inter.shtml

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

does this ranking really have any effect on anything?  possibly a bit of increase in traffic, as people who go there to vote for their current favorite site might see egullet and check it out out of curiosity.  but really, does it matter?  i hope i'm wrong.   and yes, i've voted.

Lets just say that ANY voting system based on repeated visits is inherently flawed.

But it it helps bring people to eGullet then we can help out right?  I just wouldn't take the meaning of "Top Culinary Site" very seriously, although I'm sure we can counterbalance the "weight" of sites who have been directing people there for years by voting "5 stars" consistently.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Quote: from jhlurie on 2:27 am on Dec. 2, 2001

But seriously...the site looks like they threw the kitchen sink in as well as everything else.  Not to mention the hokey "Christmas lights" along the top of their main page... and that spooky Martin Yan picture staring down at you from every page. :o

(Edited by jhlurie at 2:34 am on Dec. 2, 2001)

Agree. One of the tackiest sites I've seen in ages. Here's hoping chefs using chef2chef.net can put something on your plate that looks more appealing than this mess. But what the heck. I voted.........For egullet!

I have a confession to make.

It has always been my fantasy to achieve a high ranking on chef2chef.net.

It is the very reason I chose to enter the arena of online food writing.

When I have achieved a ranking in the top 25, I will be complete.

Now I just have to get my site nominated. Until that glorious day, however, eGullet's rank will act as a surrogate, giving me almost as much pleasure as if it were my own.

Thank you very much.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Is chef2chef really a big deal? I mean, do any of these chefs of the month know about them? It's an almost illegible web site.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The number of votes for eGullet is quite low at the moment. If we want to keep it on the list, we all have to vote for it furiously for the next few days. After all, they drop the lowest 25 from the list every month.

I have voted for eGullet twice now (don't know if it counts multiple votes, but I'm trying...)

BTW: the average vote given to eGullet is 4.8. Quite good! Congrats!

Let's face it, the list is a crock, but if it brings eGullet to the attention of a few new contributors, we've done those new members a great service and this site will be a more interesting place with greater diversity of opinion. Understand that we're not voting for our glory, but for good casue.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Kristian: "I have voted for eGullet twice now (don't know if it counts multiple votes, but I'm trying...

"...the average vote given to eGullet is 4.8"

Once per day per Internet connection (so you can vote seperately from work and home, I suppose...)

As for the 4.8... that means someone gave a 4 instead of a 5!  Steven, Jason, Rosie, Bux, etc... you've got to find out who and hunt them down!  ;)

Bux is right that the list is a crock, but think of the wonderful opportunities it gives us to mock Fat Guy for his asperations AND also to cringe at the design of chef2chef all in one convenient thread!

(Edited by jhlurie at 12:00 pm on Dec. 4, 2001)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

eGullet hasn't picked up many votes in 48 hours. If 10% of the registered members voted just once, that would boost it out of the cellar.

Looks like the vote verifier is set on a 24 hour clock, based on the ISP from which you log on. I voted yesterday afternoon from work, and again yesterday evening from home (which was allowed). The vote counter disallowed my second vote within 24 hours, though.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Quote: from jhlurie on 2:27 am on Dec. 2, 2001

Not to mention the hokey "Christmas lights" along the top of their main page... and that spooky Martin Yan picture staring down at you from every page.

Notice how Martin Yan's eyes follow you around the room? I'm waiting for someone to start a "Church of Martin".