• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soup's On! at NJ Restaurants

rozrapp

I was suprised at the amount of column inches they devoted to this..and on a Sunday, no less! I've never tried soups at any of the restaurants specified, but some of them did sound winter-worthy! I was at Panico's last week and had a wonderful Tuscan Bean Soup, with escarole.

The problem with the NY Times NJ Section most of the time, including this time, is that they skew toward Central and South Jersey. I guess they figure that up here in Bergen we are a hop and a skip from the city so we are not that interested in the Bergen/Passaic/Essex restaurant scene. These places sounded good, but most of them are an hour+ from Bergen.

They did do Joel's in Ridgewood, which we have talked about a lot here, and is generally looked upon with delight by Egulleters. I like the idea that his employees love him as well.

Edited by menton1 (log)

The problem with the NY Times NJ Section most of the time, including this time, is that they skew toward Central and South Jersey.

I'm pretty sure that the reviews are evenly scattered. I think Mr. Concoran mentioned that he and Karla alternate weeks, or at least try to.

I think, in my experience, that distance and travel time are so skewered in North Jersey due to the traffic congestion...it takes an hour to get to the end of the block, right? Hehe, just joking! :laugh: Besides, we have the parking lot otherwise known as Route 1. So while a reviewed place might only be 20 miles as the crow flies, its an unacceptable distance for a weekday dinner.

• 2 weeks later...
The problem with the NY Times NJ Section most of the time, including this time, is that they skew toward Central and South Jersey.

That's Southern New Jersey. We're not a state yet but we're working on it :)

I can't see the article since it's not available right now (at least for free). Without violating copyright could someone just post the list of restaurants and locations? It's been my experience that when the media from north of I-195 mentions "south jersey" they mean the shore. (There's nothing else down here right?)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

• 1 month later...

Last night I had a good and different soup at my neighbors restaurant Shanghai in river edge on Kinderkamack Rd. It was a Setchwan (spelling is not my forte) small dumpling soup. It was better and different then regular wonton soup (which they have) in that A. the dumplings were smaller (duh really in small dumpling soup) B. the dough for the dumplings was much more tender than the usuall won ton and C. The chicken consumme had a light film of chile oil on it that gave the soup a nice spicy edge. Mrs. Finks Hot and Sour soup was both. As far as Chinese soups go, this place has both a pretty good selection (more than egg drop, won ton and hot and sour) and what they have is very good

SHAMELESS PLUG

oh yeah, we have red bean and sausage soup for a special now and are preparing a beef stock for French Onion Soup for later in the week

FINK'S FUNKY CHICKEN AND RIBS finksfunky.net

SHAMELESS PLUG

Fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

So, my wife went to Kalluri Corner in Princeton and had their lunch buffet, which included a tomato soup. She said the food was good, but the soup tasted a lot like Campbell's, so much so in fact, that she half-expected to see empty red and white Campbell's cans n the trash outside.

I'm assuming that the soup included in lunch specials probably isn't going to be their best effort, but I have no idea which soup to recommend. Does anyone know the soups they are known for, the ones that was mentioned in the Times article?

So, my wife went to Kalluri Corner in Princeton and had their lunch buffet, which included a tomato soup. She said the food was good, but the soup tasted a lot like Campbell's, so much so in fact, that she half-expected to see empty red and white Campbell's cans n the trash outside.

I'm assuming that the soup included in lunch specials probably isn't going to be their best effort, but I have no idea which soup to recommend. Does anyone know the soups they are known for, the ones that was mentioned in the Times article?

The soup that was mentioned in the article was "Simmered Lamb Soup"--definitely not Campbell's--it's simmered overnight and blended with yogurt, cashew & curry leaves. Sounds good!

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA