• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Perlows to visit New Orleans

Rachel Perlow

Even the Hasidics make pretty good food in NOLA.

this reminds me of a documentry film i saw on ifc "shalom y'all" all about jewish tradition in the deep south.

http://www.shalomyall.com

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wow Great suggestions! I can't wait to go back; all I'll have to do is print out this thread.

I can only add that Pascal's Manale is great and they have an oyster bar for the wait which can be long. On my last visit I wound up at the oyster bar for over an hour. To make a long story short I ate over two dozen oysters, drank a few beers and headed home; no shrimp. My advice is tip the shucker well and you will only pay for a small% of the oysters you eat.

I think someone mentioned Bayona, Susan Spicier's restaurant, which is a fantastic fine dining value.

I don't know where you are staying but I always get a room with a balcony and I buy a big sack of boiled crawfish and potato. I then get a bunch of cold beers and sit on my balcony in my underwear, eat like a pig and watch the world pass by on the streets below. This is one of my favorite things to do in N.O.

Oh yeah, next door to k pauls is a small liquor store where they make the best bloody marry in the world garnished with a pickeled string bean. When I'm in town it's my first stop in the morning.

Here's a quick index of the places we visited in alphabetical order for quick reference:

Cafe Du Monde

The definitive New Orleans coffee and beignets stand

Camile's Cajun Cafe

the real deal if you want Cajun food

Celebration Distillation

Manufacturer of New Orleans Rum and Cane Rum

Central Grocery

The originator of the muffaletta

Commander's Palace

The restaurant that started the New Orleans restaurant revolution, built an empire and produced Emeril Lagasse

Dunbar's

Soul food at it's finest and damnned good fried chicken and pinto beans

Elizabeth's

The best brunch food you will ever eat

Frady's

A Bywater po-boy stand straight out of cajun country

French Quarter Farmer's Market

Its gone touristy, but worth a look.

Jacques-imo's

Jacque Leonardi's eclecticly decorated restaurant defies description but is clearly one of the best New-Orleans style restaurants in town and has some of the best fried chicken anywhere.

Lagniappe Too

A family owned restaurant in Cajun country with incredible traditions and incredible food

Lemon Grass

Vietnamese Fusion in the business district

Liborio

New Orleans' premiere Cuban restaurant since 1968

Mosca's

An "Italian" restaurant Louisiana style with a menu that has never changed

Mr. B's Bistro (web link, we were discouraged to take photos)

Amazing barbecue shrimp, if nothing else

Palace Cafe

Dickie Brennan's flagship restaurant

Pascal's Manale

They invented Barbecue Shrimp, circa 1903

Poche's Market (no photos taken)

Great boudin, andouille and other cured louisiana meats

Tabasco

Hot stuff on Avery Island

Tujague's

One of the oldest restaurants in New Orleans with a bar mirror that is older than the US

Uglesich's

The po boy stand that became something much more

Upperline

Joanne Clevenger's art gallery that happens to be one of New Orleans' finest restaurants

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host