• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lagniappe Too

Jason Perlow

Lagniappe Too

204 Main St, New Iberia, LA 70544

Phone: (337) 365-9419

Click here for Iberia Parish's website.

i1192.jpg

When they took over the space of the previous Lagniappe, it was cheaper to add the "Too" than to rename the place!

i1186.jpg

Best gumbo of our whole trip (Jason) (the bowl looks messy because we forgot to take the picture until half done with the bowl. Yes, it was that good (that it made Jason forget to take a picture!) -- Rachel)

i1187.jpg

Gumbo Zap - the last bit from the pot

i1188.jpg

Stuffed eggplant with sides of creamed corn, spinach souffle, and steamed veggies (Rachel)

i1189.jpg

Eggplant Spaghetti - Special (Mayhaw Man)

i1190.jpg

Shrimp Remoulade Club Sandwich (Jason)

i1191.jpg

Fluffy Bread Pudding with Meringue on top

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I would like to add to the visuals in this post. This place is run by a couple that took over the place as a retirement project (wow, they must be crazy) and is owned by a housewife and a retired architect in their seventies. It is cutesy and looks like someplace that you would expect totally run of the mill food in, but.....this woman knows her way around the pots and pans. The gumbo that Jason had for lunch had a VERY light brown roux (not beurre blanc, but not much beyond it) and was delicious. Her Gumbo Z'Herbe (which Jason coaxed out of the kitchen even though it had been taken off of the menu for the day) was great. Several kinds of greens and a nice stock (I suspect chicken). A delicious example of a dish that you mainly find in people's homes and not so much in restaurants.

The bread pudding (which Rachel mentioned in The Perleaux Thread) was made with huge SLICES of really good bread and not little hunks of stale french bread. The sauce was very, very, rich and more redolent of butter and dark brown sugar (which makes sense since we were in the middle of sugar season in sugar world. There were trailers full of cane everywhere) than rum. The chefs husband insisted that we order some and none of us were sorry. He said that the the bread pudding in most New Orleans restaurants should be called "Bread Bricks" due to the dense nature of what is usually served, and that his wife's was light and airy. He was preaching the gospel on that one. Man was it good.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I don't have much to add to this other than I REALLY liked the blonde gumbo at Laganiappe. This is surprising because I am really a dark roux gumbo man (my favorite during the whole trip was actually Upperline's, but this blonde gumbo was a close second).

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 6 months later...

I had some Gumbo Z'Herbes (Zab) to go from Lagniappe Too today. You guys were so right! It is absolutely delicious and spiced with just the right bite. I ordered it sans rice (low carbing, doncha know) and I didn't miss it one bit. Very, very tasty. Thanks for posting about it as it's not on the menu and I otherwise wouldn't have known to ask. Yum!

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.