• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebration Distillation Corp. (NOLA)

Jason Perlow

Celebration Distillation Corporation

2815 Frenchmen St, New Orleans, LA 70122

Phone: (504) 945-9400

New Orleans Rum website

i1140.jpg

Business' exterior

i1141.jpg

Stacks of former bourbon barrels in which rum is aging

i1142.jpg

The recycled Jack Daniels barrels are labeled with when they were filled with rum

i1145.jpg

Molassas storage tank

i1144.jpg

Every delivery of blackstrap molassas is tasted before use

i1146.jpg

More barrels

i1147.jpg

The Still

i1148.jpg

Condensation pipes above the still

i1149.jpg

Pressure guages

i1155.jpg

Cane Syrup Storage

i1156.jpg

Part of the filtration system

i1151.jpg

Bottle filling equipment

i1152.jpg

Labeling equipment -- Cane is their high end product

i1153.jpg

Capping equipment

i1154.jpg

Cases of Cane and New Orleans rum ready for shipment

i1150.jpg

The tasting room is modeled after the tin roof sugar shacks

i1157.jpg

Mark Stewart, President & Distiller, with Sharon, our tour guide

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Prior to visiting Celebration Distillation Corp, my only experince with visiting a rum distillery or any other kind of liquor distillery was Bacardi in Puerto Rico. Comparing Celbration Distillery to a massive operation like Bacardi would literally be like trying to compare night and day or apples and oranges.

Celebration Distillation is an extremely low-tech, small production operation compared to a huge industrial giant like Bacardi. What you see in these pictures is what you get -- a small, artisinal rum producer using old equipement to produce a very fine, old-style rum. The product is made using blackstrap molasses which is brought in from sugar processing plants near the Louisiana cane fields, which is then pumped into their storage tank and then processed with water using their vintage still and boiler. In the case of the higher end Cane product, pure cane syrup is added during distillation to give it that distinctive sugarcane flavor and it also lightens the color of the rum somewhat. The product is then put into bourbon barrels where it is aged for several years and picks up some of the flavor from the barrels.

If you're in New Orleans I highly recommend visiting the distillery. Be sure to call in advance as they don't normally do tours, although they just opened up a new visitors center. And definitely pick up some of this rum -- its one of the best American made spirits I have ever had, and it really compares favorably with some of the best artisinally-made rums from the Caribbean. Its distinctive Bourbon and sugarcane flavor also sets it apart from its competitiors and makes it a distinctively New Orleans and Louisiana product.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 1 year later...

Tragic news from Celebration Distillation:

We were hit extremely hard. We lost a great deal of aging inventory, almost every barrel. We, like every business in New Orleans, are currently fighting with insurance companies so that we may rebuild. It's going to be a while before we're back to normal, but then again we were never "normal."

It's important for people to understand that even though Katrina is fading out of the national spotlight, New Orleans is still in total shambles. Our situation is far from unique, every business and every homeowner is living the same nightmare. We'll be back, but it's going to be while.

-Lynae LeBlanc

Marketing Director

The part of town where the distillery was did not fare well. At all. I have seen it (in fact, I drive home through there several days a week) and I assume that the water was as deep, or deeper, than it is out on Elysian Fields parellel to the distillery. It's mess. I hope that they reappear in some form or fashion, but it's hard to imagine that it would not take a more or less complete retooling of the place (which was, at best, kind of cobbled together anyway). It's a great idea and a great product (and had improved dramatically over the last few years) and it makes perfect sense. I hope that they do come back soon-of course, I hope that alot of people come back soon, both businesses and individuals. The senses of loss is, well, pretty overwhelming all along the Gulf Coast and in particular in the New Orleans area, if only because it STAYED under water for weeks and many, many people can't even think about coming back until they have somewhere to live and until the schools are open for their children to go to.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...