• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uglesich's (NOLA) [R.I.P.]

Jason Perlow

Uglesich Restaurant & Bar

1238 Baronne St, New Orleans, LA 70113

Phone: (504) 523-8571

I think Bubba from Forrest Gump describes the theme of this place best:

Anyway, like I was saying, shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can Barbecue it, Boil it, Broil it, Bake it, Saute it. There's, um, Shrimp Kabobs, Shrimp Creole, Shrimp Gumbo. Panfried, Deepfried, Stirfried. There's Pineapple Shrimp, Lemon Shrimp, Coconut Shrimp, Pepper Shrimp, Shrimp Soup, Shrimp Stew, Shrimp Salad, Shrimp and Potatoes, Shrimpburger, Shrimp Sandwich...

(Many hours later) That's, that's about it.

i1110.jpg

Busy lunchtime interior

i1111.jpg

We arrived around 11:30 AM

i1112.jpg

This might be fried oysters (?)

i1113.jpg

Crab Souffle

i1114.jpg

Seafood Dressing

i1115.jpg

Spicy Shrimp over salad

i1116.jpg

Shrimp and Grits

i1117.jpg

Bacon wrapped jumbo shrimp with crumbled bacon over sweet potato casserole

i1119.jpg

Dirty Rice Dressing

i1120.jpg

A different kind of spicy shrimp

i1121.jpg

"Paul's Fantasy" Fried shrimp and trout with fried potatos

i1122.jpg

Combination BBQ Oyster and Shrimp

i1123.jpg

Fried Italian Shrimp

i1124.jpg

Shrimp Uggie

i1125.jpg

Fried Softshell crab

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm glad you went to Uglesich's--it was my favorite place on our visit to New Orleans last year, based purely on how good the food was. (And, of course, it was the place I went to with friends on the last day of the trip, when Matthew had flown home to Seattle a couple of days before me :sad: ) I had a dish that was someone's "special", which I recall as pan-fried trout topped with shrimp, over those great fried potatoes. At the time I said that if we had eaten there earlier in the trip, we would have gone back to U's at least twice to try more. Looks like you sampled a fair amount of the menu.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

We didn't order at Uglesich's, JoAnn did that for us. My favorite dish was a current special of bacon wrapped shrimp atop a sweet potato casserole. The Italian flavored fried shrimp were very good, as was the trout. Unfortunately, the BBQ Comination Oyster and Shrimp was way to salty and overcooked, as was the soft shelled crab (fried to the point where the meat disappears from the legs). The restaurant can also be surprisingly expensive if you don't stick to the po-boys. I think this restaurant remains popular due to its reputation, and maybe its time is past? :sad:

I liked all the shrimp dishes with the exception of the BBQ Shrimp and Oysters, which Rachel is correct in saying it was way too salty.

My understanding is that this place started out as a Po Boy joint. We didn't actually try any of the po boys, but I'm thinking that might be what this place does best.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Uglesich's is great!! The first time I was there (about 5 years ago), I told Tony it was my first time in.

He told me to sit down and he will order a "few" things for me!

God, I ate like I was going to the electric chair the next day. The best soft shell crab I ever had, fried green tomatoes with shrimp remoulade, oysters, the whole works. Such nice people too.

I love family owned places, and Uglesich's is a must stop for me on many annual trips to New Orleans.

I usually HATE waiting in line for food. But, I make 2 exceptions: Uglesich's and Sally's Apizza in New Haven, CT.

• 1 year later...

I just read the New York Times from today, 4/27, online, and there was an article announcing that the owners of Ugelsich's are retiring and closing the restaurant. I did eat at Peristyle, so I'm glad I got the chance to do that but am bummed out because Ugelsich's is one of the places I missed on my trip to NO last year.

How are people in NO coping with this news? :sad:

Roz

Here is the link:

(I hope I did the link right- otherwise just copy and paste the address starting with www and ending with th

Edited by rshorens (log)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Yes - but Gail told me herself that Anthony is hedging his bets by keeping the liquor licenses up to date - just in case retirement is too boring for him! :wink:

Gosh I hope they get some rest and then come back, even with limited hours. I've yet to make it to N.O. and I hope to take up the gracious personal invitation I received from Gail and her son John before I'm laid to rest. Two of the nicest folks I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Without benefit of advertising, word of Uglesich's big, tan, glistening oysters, its sweet, plump crawfish balls, its searing shrimp Uggie and its overstuffed yet feather-light po' boys spread across the city and then across the country. It mattered not to most people that it took no credit cards and served neither dessert nor coffee.

An Oysterless Future (R.W. Apple, Jr.) (from the NYT DIGEST update for Wednesday/Thursday, 27 and 28 April 2005. Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

am i crazy? i'm toying with the idea of using my free rt ticket to fly to uglesich's for lunch before they close. have eaten there once, and loved it, and would love to have more of the menu under my belt before they lock up for good. is it just impossible to get in , now that the closing is semi-official? this is sounding like a compleely hare-brained scheme...but what a story it would make!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

so, the hare-brained scheme has not vanished. here's my question: i know they open at 10:30, and there's already a line. and they close 4 ish. do they shut the line down before that, or if you are in line at 4, do they letcha in?

i'm just about to grab a buddy and fly in for lunch...just thinking about the story i could tell makes it worth doing. plus, i have a zero birthday this year, so i'm trying to have a banner year!

edited for typo

Edited by chezcherie (log)

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Though it may have changed since it seems now Uglesich's will REALLY close, but if you get there around 10 or so, there should not be a huge line and you can be in an out in under an hour. We were there last December, got there around 10:15 and Mr A let us in to wait (there were 2 other tables filled, but it wasn't completely filled until 11:15). I doubt there would be a 6 hour plus line at 10:30 am.

So go and ENJOY!

Thanks,

kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

thanks, kevin.

it's looking like this may happen. have a flight and a room, but would rather not go it alone, so hoping to find a friend to be crazy with. (i'm a happy solo traveler, but somehow new orleans does not seem like the most fun destination to visit alone.) but, if no one can break free, i may just do it. appreciate the response!

www.chezcherie.com

Since it sounds like your THIS closing to going, I urge you to do it, even if solo. Another lifetime ago I was in Israel and a bunch of people in my group didn't want to do the camel ride. Though apprehensive, I finally did it. I know if I hadn't, to this day I'd be regretting it.

I know everyone loves or hates Uggies, but based on my quick glance at your website, I think you will always hate saying "I almost went but never made it". Last December we had a great Friday lunch and since we knew we'd likely never be back before it was gone, we changed our plans to go back Monday. It was absolutely the right move.

I'd suggest the bbq shrimp/oyster combo, the super slaw, the shrimp remoulade, and the fried oysters. Over-order and take it with you, maybe include the Shrimp Uggie. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed. Even if you're not a big fan of bloody Mary's (like me) order one.

Best,

Kevin

I called and talked to Mr U about a month ago with the sae question about closing time. He told me that he had been closing around 3 because he had been running out of food.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

I passed by at noon today, on my way out of Federal Court (Jury Duty-apparently I am on the hook for a year) and there were at least a 100 people hanging around, looking sunburned a hungry. I think that your best bet is to go real early and plan on it taking a while. Early is usually a good idea, though. It means that there is a pretty good chance that most of the stuff on the menu will be there.

Have fun!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

i'm here! i'll be in line at 10 tomorrow...is that too early for voodoo shrimp?! (certainly not for a bloody mary!)

uglesich's tomorrow, upperline tonight. sweeeet.

www.chezcherie.com

With lines like these, Uggie's was most definitely off my list for a weekend trip for the Fest. However, while I was at Upperline last Friday, Joann speculated to my table that Uggie's may just streamline instead of closing -- doing just appetizers or a pared down menu.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

i was in line by 9:45.

just inside the door was a chalkboard reading "Mr. Anthony says "It ain't over 'til it's over. Stay tuned. www.uglesich.com"

My meal was worth the full day of flying there and back (wellll, I managed to squeeze in a stellar meal at upperline, and a good meal at jacques imo...) and when i got home tonight, i had several messages from excited pals who had heard me on npr! my 15 seconds of fame .

that just makes the story that much better---and a write-off, no? (hey, i mentioned my cooking school!) :hmmm:

www.chezcherie.com

Was anyone else in line at 9:45? What did you eat?

It indeed seems they will stay open in a limited menu capacity which is great as I should get back to NOLA mid-October.

Thanks,

Kevin

gallery_8685_1215_72055.jpggallery_8685_1215_4893.jpggallery_8685_1215_52067.jpggallery_8685_1215_90796.jpg

i dunno why the order is goofy--top is shrimp and oyster po' boy (shortie), next is bleu cheese oysters(left) and shrimp and grits (right), next is mr anthony and miz gail signing cookbooks and taking orders and last is the exterior shot.

mmmm. so glad i went.

www.chezcherie.com