• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone try Kobe beef?

CRUZMISL

Well, you can effectively get the same thing if you get Wagyu beef. Wagyu is the breed of cattle that is used. When its raised in Japan it gets certified as Kobe.

You can get Australian Wagyu from Lobel's of New York:

http://www.lobels.com/store/main/wagyumain.htm

Its very expensive, and its VERY, very good. You can get Wagyu in various cuts, the strip steak and the filet is the best. Lobels even makes hot dogs out of it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yes, Kobe is definitely worth it! It looks like bacon while you're slicing it! (yum!)....I believe Kobe is available out of a farm from from Ohio (the name will be forthcoming)...Kobe is unavailable from Japan (mad cow) until 2009!

BTW here is a pic (extreme closeup of a single slice) of the Wagyu Lobels strip steak I tasted at a Lobels tasting event:

i550.jpg

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Like it has been mentioned before "true" Kobe beef must be born and raised in Kobe, Japan and thus is quite difficult to obtain overseas. Though i have never tried them I have heard some good things about the Kobe style beef produced in the US and Australia.

Kobe beef is just one of the black haired wagyu cows here, some beef in Japan swear that Matsuzaka beef is even more tender, then there are the others like Omi, Yonezawa, Maezawa, etc that are giving them bot a run for their money.

I have had the real stuff and think it is great, but personally don't find it worth the price and find myself quite happy with most of the no-name wagyus here.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Jason: Your picture of the Lobel's strip looked so inviting I now have fork marks on my new Dell monitor.  Was the taste as good as the picture?

Oh yes.