• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine shock at Petrus....

sandra

I am happy to report that we have received a response to our letter.

Mr. Chris Hutcheson, CEO of GRHoldings writes: "I am shocked to hear of the events surrounding the choice of wine with the alternative recommendation of the assisstant sommelier"...."this is not the approach that we would ever as a company, encourage our staff to pursue."

They have offered to refund us with a check, or to invite us to dinner, with a menu specially prepared by Chef Wareing and with wines chosen by the Head Sommelier to complement each course.

Needless to say, we have accepted the dinner option!

As I mentioned before, in countless posts all over the site, Petrus has been of our favourite restaurants in London, and it continues to be.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

What a happy ending, gives me a little faith that good customer service, while scarce, is not totally dead. I have to say I would have completely freaked out at the bill, I don't know how you held your tongue ! (maybe the wine put you in a magnanimous mood?) It was completely out of order. By the way, any info on the mystery behind the claim that they have never carried the wine in question?

I am happy to report that we have received a response to our letter.

Mr. Chris Hutcheson, CEO of GRHoldings writes: "I am shocked to hear of the events surrounding the choice of wine with the alternative recommendation of the assisstant sommelier"...."this is not the approach that we would ever as a company, encourage our staff to pursue."

they didn't mention that the restaurant does not carry and has never carried the wine is question? that's puzzling.

they didn't mention that  the restaurant does not carry and has never carried the wine is question?  that's puzzling.

tommy,

that was NOT part of my issue with them, that is an issue that other people took up with the restaurant.

I never even mentioned it to them because it did not affect me.

s

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

I hope this happens to me....

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

The bottom line here is that any sommelier who listens to a customer order a £150 bottle of wine and turns around and recommends and brings an £800 bottle without disclosing this fact is a thief and a charlatan. The restaurant should eat the bottle and fire the alleged sommelier IMO.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

This is interesting. I'm not surprised a this ending (it hasn't ended).

How can we keep things discreet, whilst at the same time dicussing them?

We can't here. Simple.

More thoughts please...

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Can you post the letter you sent, so we can see how to do it properly?

...along with several other personal issues that you wish to air with the nation, or rather, world?

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

By posting only that which you would be happy to discuss in any other public place, or actually say to a person face to face. There has been no indiscretion here.

By posting only that which you would be happy to discuss in any other public place, or actually say to a person face to face. There has been no indiscretion here.

Beautifully put. Of course there has not, but I wonder whether the initial poster would have wished an outcome such as this.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

but I wonder whether the initial poster would have wished an outcome such as this.

I think the outcome has been the best possible for everyone involved. An error on the part of the restaurant was made on the night in question, that has been established without question. It would appear that Sandra and her husband's reaction to a potentialy volatile situation was exemplary, both on the evening itself and subsequently.

By informing Petrus restaurant of the events of the evening as they saw it, without complaint, but in the spirit of good customer relations, they have handed management the opportunity to grab victory from the claws of defeat, which they so admirably did.

In addition, by raising the issue on eGullet, Sandra provided, in my opinion, a genuine public service. She was not complaining, and indeed gave the restaurant a glowing review, but questioned the conduct of one member of staff. She made it plain that she was unwilling to do so on the night as it was a special occasion and did not want to cast a pall over the evening.

A big motivation behind my involvement with eGullet is that it brings the restauratuer and the customer closer together. I would hold up this thread as an excellent example of that ambition being realised.