• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

So, did you go?

Were you replying to me or Jamie?

I think Jamie was refering to a plan of his for next week.

I went to Daisy May's last month. Wrote about it somewhere but can't find it. Oh yeah - it's in what did you have for lunch thread. Anyway, I had just had lunch at Delta Grill on 46th and 9th. Walked to Daisy May, got pulled pork sandwich and KC ribs and beans. Took 2 days just to eat the ribs. Sandwich would have been better had I ate it sooner.

{still have trouble with color not in crayon form}

To Jamie. He said after the first BC meeting that he was going to Daisy May's with work in a couple if days. I think. Good pulled pork though?

forkAndPen, of COURSE it's not too late.

slkinsey, you suck.

Suzanne, no ferrets.

jeunefilleparis, promises, promises.

To anyone who's confused about my PM to Rachel/to you, I didn't realize that she was still out of town, so it arrived after some of you respoinded. Sorry for the inconvenience. Also, anyone who didn't get the PM, I either wrote in the wrong name, or you'd very recently posted, OR I just spaced. My apologies if I did.

Kirk and I had Fairway burgers today as a tune-up for Tuesday Burger Club. For $8, you get a burger, fries, and cole slaw. I liked the size of the burger--I'd estimate it at 8 oz. but it was very thick and the same circumference as the smallish seedless food service bun it sat on. This put the emphasis on the taste of the meat, which was good. The meat, though nicely charred, was somewhat flavorless to me; it was reminiscent of Molly's in that respect. Cheese came melted on the burger. Topping options included ketchup, tomato and onion (all on the side.)

The fries, to me, were better than any others I've had in Burger Club including Tavern on Jane. Twice-fried, out piping hot and with a perfect sprinkling of crunchy salt chunks. The cole slaw was pretty good as well; roughly-cut purple and green cabbage along with finely shredded carrot and slightly-too-salty "cole slaw juice."

Apparently atypically, from the reports I've heard, we had friendly and attentive service. With sodas we were out for under $20 excluding tip.

Though the fries and cole slaw were great, at the end of the day it's all about the burger; to me there was nothing outstanding enough about this burger to recommend it. Not even in the ballpark with the Parker Meridien.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Kirk and I had Fairway burgers today as a tune-up for Tuesday Burger Club. For $8, you get a burger, fries, and cole slaw. I liked the size of the burger--I'd estimate it at 8 oz. but it was very thick and the same circumference as the smallish seedless food service bun it sat on. This put the emphasis on the taste of the meat, which was good. The meat, though nicely charred, was somewhat flavorless to me; it was reminiscent of Molly's in that respect. Cheese came melted on the burger. Topping options included ketchup, tomato and onion (all on the side.)

The fries, to me, were better than any others I've had in Burger Club including Tavern on Jane. Twice-fried, out piping hot and with a perfect sprinkling of crunchy salt chunks. The cole slaw was pretty good as well; roughly-cut purple and green cabbage along with finely shredded carrot and slightly-too-salty "cole slaw juice."

Apparently atypically, from the reports I've heard, we had friendly and attentive service. With sodas we were out for under $20 excluding tip.

Though the fries and cole slaw were great, at the end of the day it's all about the burger; to me there was nothing outstanding enough about this burger to recommend it. Not even in the ballpark with the Parker Meridien.

Jamie

Was this a sanctioned event?

No, it was a spontaneous "I'm at Fairway at 2:30 and I haven't had lunch" event.

:laugh:

By the way, forgot to mention that Ed Koch was there...didn't see him until he was leaving so didn't see what he had to eat.

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

No, it was a spontaneous "I'm at Fairway at 2:30 and I haven't had lunch" event.

By the way, forgot to mention that Ed Koch was there...didn't see him until he was leaving so didn't see what he had to eat.

Jamie

I bet Ed's a pretty good fork.

Jamie

I spotted Ed Koch at Japonica recently.

We're going to need an "Ed Koch sighting" thread soon....

Good. We have 15 as of this moment. :smile: Landmark it is! If there are any cancellations, please tell me in advance, or call the restaurant so we don't wait and wait for you. Actually, I think it's a good idea this time if we scatter our orders a bit so the grill isn't hit with 15 burgers at once, and we're not hit with wrong orders. Good?

Tuesday the 25th at 7 pm

Landmark Tavern - 626 11th Avenue, corner of 11th and 46th St., 212-757-8595.

AND, if you can't make it, please PM me or someone if my folder is full, or call the restaurant. Number above. :smile:

Thanks!

Oh alright. Since everyone wants me to unburden myself....

*sigh* Landmark was one of my four best burgers ever. Tonight, it was similar to Molly's, (who I gave too high a score, not being used to the chart. This will be amended) which was just so average. Bits were better than others where there were spots of char, but the meat quality was no longer there, and that's where they used to shine. It had been so fresh, so tasty, so well cooked. Tonight, it was blase as all get out, moderately okayly cooked, and just a handfull of nothingness. I am so depressed. And to add insult to injury, the manager didn't let me know that the burger increased a wopping $5.00, from $8 to $13 when I spoke to her originally. Why should she have? Because I had asked her if she would serve burgers at night, since I recalled them only being available during the day. She said they were available only during the day, but for our group, she would make an exception. At that point, she should have told me about the increase. In my book this is bad business, and totally unacceptable. Especially for the mediocrity I put in my mouth.

Phooey.

Aaaaaand, before anyone says anything like - they obviously aren't used to making burgers at night, they made an effort for you - I'll say again, you can tell poorly cooked excellent meat form poorly cooked crappy meat.

Edited by elyse (log)