• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

I didn't jump on the idea because I don't like or trust rachel ray, the burger's $12.00, the place looks froofie and more suited to a tea party than Burger Club. As I said, I'm not opposed to it, I just wanted a second opinion based on actually having seen the burger or hearing it from someone who's had one.

And aside from that, I already said

Well, add it to the list.

K?

glenn, do you really mean great?  Great?  And you mean fries, right?

I mean famtastic great, and that should have been "fries", not fried. I fired my editor. But you should know me by now and take everything I say with a grain of hamburger helper. I can't remember a burger I didn't like, especially White Castle.

I didn't jump on the idea because I don't like or trust rachel ray, the burger's $12.00, the place looks froofie and more suited to a tea party than Burger Club. As I said, I'm not opposed to it, I just wanted a second opinion based on actually having seen the burger or hearing it from someone who's had one.

It is possible that the best burger in NYC, if that is still our quest, may be offered in a froofie place, cost more than ten bucks, and even be liked by Ms. Ray. They can be cooked in less than 30 minutes, fit well with a $40/day budget, and with ketchup or tomato match her red and black wardrode. Second opinions are almost always good.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

I think in order to really find the BEST burger in NYC, we have to test all the different places that have come up as favorites somewhere or another. So if someone thinks Thalia has the best burger, we HAVE to add it to the list.

Corner Bistro comes to mind as an example. Sure, a lot of folks in BC don't think the burgers are very good, but we still need to go there and test it. A lot of people in this city seem to think it's one of the best burgers out there. If we don't think it's one of the best, we need to be able to say why, in a manner that is consistent with our testing and scoring.

Sherri A. Jackson

Jesus!  Stop discussing it and someone add it to the fucking list for chrissake!

done. now, let's move on...have we settled on landmark for the next meeting? i wasn't sure if that was a definite?

Here are the suggestions so far:

Savoy

L'Express

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna (NJ)

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro

Judson Grill

Mc Sorley's

Island Burger

Parker Meridian

Jackson Hole

Now:

Veselka

Blue9

Friar's Coffee Shop

That other place

Piper's Kilt

Thalia

Oh thank God. And smart of you to put it on the bottom of the list. :biggrin:

I've called the landmark a couple of times, but the person I'm supposed to speak with hasn't been there. I'll try again tomorrow.

Whew! So, of course, after blithely volunteering to keep the list updated, I haven't even had time to read egullet for days, DAYS, I tell you. Do you know what it's like to try to catch up on the new posts?

Unfortunately, due to new constraints on my time (I just took a volunteer position as head of fundraising/special events for New York City for Dean, because who needs sleep, anyway?), I'm going to have to withdraw from Burger Club. In the last week, I have been home for approximately five minutes, and it just isn't enough time to catch up with email and phone calls, read all the posts to egullet that i want to read, keep my apartment decent, play with the ferrets, sleep a little, practice, AND plan in advance to eat burgers, even with lots of cool and fun people. :blink:

And I only got to go to one meeting.

I'll check in occasionally and maybe when things calm down I can come back.

If you do want to have lunch or something (it needn't be burgers, for fear of being labeled an illegal side group! :laugh:) shoot me a PM!

Yours in beef,

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Maybe I will replace Bergerka in the burger club. I just visited Prime Burger, on 51st street, and found it solid but unexciting. Next up: Murder Burger in the Bronx. What's next for the burger club?

Mr. Cutlets

atveselka.jpg

Edited by Mister_Cutlets (log)
Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

:smile: Where you going?

San Francisco, for a conference; got back on the redeye this morning. And where I had one of the worst burgers -- well, completely mediocre: at some restaurant at the SF airport, where I ordered rare and got well-done first :sad:, then the rare wasn't particularly meaty tasting anyway. :angry:

But I thought it was decided: Murder Burger is not a burger, and therefore not meat for BC. Sorry, Mr. C.

Unfortunately, due to new constraints on my time (I just took a volunteer position as head of fundraising/special events for New York City for Dean, because who needs sleep, anyway?), I'm going to have to withdraw from Burger Club. In the last week, I have been home for approximately five minutes, and it just isn't enough time to catch up with email and phone calls, read all the posts to egullet that i want to read, keep my apartment decent, play with the ferrets, sleep a little, practice, AND plan in advance to eat burgers, even with lots of cool and fun people. :blink:

Not enough time to practice or play with ferrets? Definitely working too hard. Any way, you're only talking about the next 11 months. So you're not withdrawn, just on long term leave. We'll keep a seat warm for you.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.