• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Hey all. Glad to see that burger club is going so well. So question... How's the whole burger club as a dating service thing going? I might be developing a crush :wink:

Hehe so where's the next meeting?

I think we're all dating eachother.

I've been remiss in saying what a good time I had on Sat. night, despite the fact I couldn't indulge with you all. 

I will be glad to provide a suggestion for a kosher place to try.  There are 4 places I can think of.  But one has lousy burgers, one is filthy and I refuse to eat there (although the burgers are decent), and the other two - it's been a very long since I sampled their burgers.

So, I've got my homework assignment, and will try to come up with an acceptable place.  :smile:

This doesn't mean you have to try them before we go. Just get some kind of solid rec from someone you trust. That is... if you want to participate in the full Burger Club experience.

I think that Mr Broadway, a large, bustling deli, with the prerequisite surly waiters is most suitable for BC. It's on Broadway and 37th. Good pickles - they put a plate of the them on the table when you arrive. ( And if you ever have a craving for eggs and balogna - they do it well.)

When I worked in mid-town this was a frequent lunch spot for me and my colleagues.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Eggs are neutral?

Fortunately they are.

Rule of thumb: meat includes all appropriate four legged animals and birds (chicken, turkey, duck, goose). Dairy is what it sounds like - milk, cheese, cream. The two should never mix.

Everything else (including fish) -- neutral. But, although you can eat meat and fish in the same meal, it has to be separate courses with separate dishes and cutlery.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

So what's the verdict on the pre-Thanksgiving venue?

Here are the suggestions so far:

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna (NJ)

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro

Judson Grill

Mc Sorley's

Island Burger

Parker Meridian

Jackson Hole

Now:

Veselka

Blue9

Friar's Coffee Shop

That other place

Piper's Kilt

You know, I really have no idea. Landmark is my favorite of the ones I' have tried, and are listed, but they don't serve past a certain time.

UPDATE! Landmark will serve burgers at night, until they close or run out, AT the bar. I will have to call back tomorrow to speak to someone who can confirm this. NOW, in case this does not work out... will someone (JosephB?) check on a few good bets? Meaning availability at 7pm (of burgers and space), seriousness of the recomendations ( we really don't want a flop for our special guest), affordability (might be different at night), ummm... I can't think of anything else.

I personally am interested in Landmark, Blue Smoke, Blue 9 (?), Smith and Wollenski's.... Or do we want a hole?

Please add Piper's Kilt to the official list.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

errr, isn't there a club meeting tonite?  if so, where?

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving, tommy. Coming?

came already. thought it was tonite.

You seriously went? What on earth possessed you? At least they had beer. Poor tommy. :sad:

By the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I meant the ONE before Thanksgiving, not any random one, silly. Tuesday the 25th, before Thanksgiving, the 27th. Two weeks from yesterday.

picaman, did it already. But in future, PM bergerka or quote the list, and add it yourself. K?

Added "suggestions": L'Express and Savoy
So what's the verdict on the pre-Thanksgiving venue?

Here are the suggestions so far:

Savoy

L'Express

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna (NJ)

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro

Judson Grill

Mc Sorley's

Island Burger

Parker Meridian

Jackson Hole

Now:

Veselka

Blue9

Friar's Coffee Shop

That other place

Piper's Kilt

You know, I really have no idea. Landmark is my favorite of the ones I' have tried, and are listed, but they don't serve past a certain time.

UPDATE! Landmark will serve burgers at night, until they close or run out, AT the bar. I will have to call back tomorrow to speak to someone who can confirm this. NOW, in case this does not work out... will someone (JosephB?) check on a few good bets? Meaning availability at 7pm (of burgers and space), seriousness of the recomendations ( we really don't want a flop for our special guest), affordability (might be different at night), ummm... I can't think of anything else.

I personally am interested in Landmark, Blue Smoke, Blue 9 (?), Smith and Wollenski's.... Or do we want a hole?

Please add Piper's Kilt to the official list.

:smile:

Jamie

Added "suggestions": L'Express and Savoy

But in future, PM bergerka or quote the list, and add it yourself.  K?

:blink:

Oh, now I get it.

Unfortunately, I didn't understand the process until after my one suggestion had been dealt with. I'm a bit airheaded sometimes, but I'm told that's one of my charms.

:rolleyes:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

rachael ray claims this place has the best burger in NY.  elyse, it's $12--is that an unacceptable price point for BC? :unsure:

thalia has always been a pretty decent place. some dishes have been incredible, some just good, through several chef changes. i'd definitely give it a shot. it's a great bright and fun room, and they have loads of wines, with more than a few selections by the glass. i'd be up for that.

Edited by tommy (log)

Thalia may indeed have a tasty burger, but it sure doesn't look like a place I'd wanna be seen eating one. Might be grounds for supsension of my guy license. "Sir, would you like a glass of Pouilly-fouissee with your burger, or perhaps a side of cornichons?" :raz:

Edited by Felonius (log)

Thalia has great burgers. I forgot all about them. We ate there before a matinee when they were only serving bar food and the burger was top notch. Great fried too, if I recall.

glenn, do you really mean great? Great? And you mean fries, right?

Thalia may indeed have a tasty burger, but it sure doesn't look like a place I'd wanna be seen eating one.  Might be grounds for supsension of my guy license.    "Sir, would you like a glass of Pouilly-fouissee with your burger, or perhaps a side of cornichons?"  :raz:

i happen to enjoy wine with a burger. if that's somehow not masculine to you, then i really don't know what to tell you other than you don't know what you're missing. and chardonnay with a burger is just plain dumb, and grounds for getting your ass kicked where i come from. :wink:

it's becoming more and more clear that i'm a burger club of one. but i look forward to reading future reports.

Edited by tommy (log)